[Accepted] ComradeCorbyn - IPC Application

BYOND Key:

ComradeCorbyn

Character Names:

Arthur (AI), Albert (Cyborg), Gregory Mueller (Security Officer), Lawrence Baker (Medical Doctor), Oliver Lloyd (Scientist), Carter Price (Merchant), Obi Mwangi (Quartermaster Extraordinaire), Joseph Weir (Psychologist), Belai Caladius (Priest).

Species you are applying to play:

IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Absolutely.

Please provide well-articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

My interest in IPCs and Machines as a whole spiked when I began playing Spacestation 13, and at that Aurora. Machines, or positronics, are articulate and have no emotions, allowing them to act as a 'greater human' and make calculations and decisions based on facts you could say. That does not mean they cannot mimic emotions, that they do. They can also form articulate thought in 'binary' and have opinions about a variety of things. An example of this can be a synthetic thinking from raw logical thought, rather then a gut feeling about the nature of things around them. This allows for creative freedoms you could say and combined with the whole machine part of the species itself, you can have very creative and fun characters that can spice up a round and make it a bit more enjoyable for everybody. As well, I have recently been playing AI and as such Cyborgs much more. While not the same things as IPCs, they share many similarities.

Identity what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

As said prior, IPCs aren't like other species were they are held by emotions and general thought. They are mechanical in nature, and as such positronics follow logic closely and as such are prone to rational thinking. They aren't held in terms of emotions whereas a Human might resist something brutishly, while a positronic might think of a resolution and not delve head first into a combat situation that would bound to kill them and injure others.

In a historical sense, IPCs are not similar to others in the fact that their species was created by others and not subject to evolution and similar history. They were a bit feisty with others, being shown for instance by the Purpose faction.

Not included in what I said, is the fact that some IPCs can, unfortunately, be bound to an organization. This can result in an IPC on the Aurora being chained to the Nanotrasen Corporation or other companies, resulting in their forced labor you could say for them. This can compute towards them being more laborious and attention-to-detail then others might be.

Character Name:

Floyd

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Originally created on Eri 3, Floyd was manufactured in the Adhama Bishop Production Facility. There, he was constructed and placed into a shell IPC model. Originally intended to work as a new type of negotiator, the idea was scrapped and rather he was programmed to deliver the news, either through good looks on visual media or through written journalism. In order to accomplish his objectives as a journalist, Bishop programmed him to make decisions based on given values of a new's stories worthiness. Most values are Timing, Significance, Proximity, Prominence, and Human Interest.

Although Bishop programmed Floyd with these values with a set purpose, Floyd began using these values to dictate much of the things the positronic does. For instance, Human Interest began to rub off on him and permitted him to express - although, mostly fake for his stories - actual interest into people. This started off with Synthetic figures, before turning into other people that he might find on his workplaces.

First deployed chained to Bishop Cybernetics, Floyd began working as a journalist with the Mendell City Bugle in New Gibson before the Lii'dra invasion. There, he covered a variety of pieces for the Bugle, eventually reaching his way to a Field Reporter. This was around the time of the Lii'dra invasion, where Floyd sprung into action. There, he was one of the many first responders to the attacks. Floyd prevented damage to his unit, and others while covering the attack in detail.

In the aftermath of possibly the high point of his career, Floyd was reassigned from the Bugle and, calculating that he would possibly make more financial gain working at a Nanotrasen Station, begun to initiate his career with NT by requesting to move there. There, he was sent to the NSS Aurora to begin journalistic duties under the Bugle for Nanotrasen content, although still chained and technically employed by Bishop Cybernetics. On this matter, Floyd has no reason nor motive to detach himself from Bishop Cybernetics, being 'content' as much as an IPC can. Floyd also calculated that the cost of trying to purchase his freedom - especially as a Shell model, would be extremely financially costly.

What do you like about this character?

Personally, I enjoy Floyd because it both allows me to play a role I've always wanted to try - especially as an IPC, which is a Journalist. It will be interesting to explore what a machine would do in situations, such as newsworthy things aboard the Aurora. Secondly, I enjoy the freedom given to me when choosing stories due to my programming which is explained in the above first paragraph.

As well, Floyd, I believe, will create interesting interactions with other crew members and 'spice' up rounds as much as I can. I also believe that I would be able to accurately deliver the news aboard the Aurora while doing it in my own "robotic" way.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

It's solid, or roundabout. I've still had my fair share of faults roleplay wise, but none the less I try my best and I can. If I have to rate myself given on a 0/10 to 10/10 scale, I'd probably say around 8/10. I've been improving, especially since the first days I came to Aurora, but I continue to try and learn more things about my own roleplay, and about other things in general.

Notes:

Edited by CakeIsOssim

Hello! Thank you for applying. I apologize for the extended review period of your application, but due to the holidays I have found myself with pretty much no free time. So that you have security in the matter that this application is not forgotten, I'm informing you now that your application will be reviewed in the next 24 hours, as most of my holiday stuff is over or is coming to a close. Thank you for your patience.