[Denied] WhiteCurse - IPC Application

BYOND Key: WhiteCurse

Character Names:

Holden Hawkins Alston (Roboticist)

Hannah Hawkins Alston (Mainly Scientist, Also used as a Fill Character)

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Exempted

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I have enjoyed playing as synthetics, robots, machines, AI, and other forms of mechanical life in previous games. For example, Stellaris recently came out with an expansion where you could play as synthetic life forms, and it completely blew my mind at how interesting being a robot of sorts. I also am interested in the gameplay aspects that separate the synthetics from humans, as I have only had the opportunity to play as humans thus far. Playing as a roboticist IPC would also be very convenient for lack of a better work, as it would suit Skip to hardly ever leave robotics, and simply repair himself when needed. Not needing to breathe or eat is also fitting for Skip, again, because he would try his best to stay within the confines of the Science Department at the very least.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Gameplay Traits:

Electricity vs. Food = Charging stations and APCs replace food for IPCs.

Atmospheric Immunities = IPCs aren't affected by oxygen/pressure, but are still affected by the vacuum of space, along with intense heat.

Healthy Boys = IPCs don't feel pain. Combat situations that don't maim IPCs will not affect it. Since they don't feel pain, there's no need for drugs to make it subside.

Chemicals = Acids are the only things that really affect IPCs.

Medical = IPCs are repaired through elbow grease and engineering! Who needs doctors anyways?

RP Characteristics:

Hardware = Depending on the hardware that the IPC contains, it could be incredibly suited to engineer, perform medical tasks, investigate crime scenes, etc. In essence, very flexible, and can be specialized units.

Programming = The positronic brain could, in theory, be very poorly programmed or optimized, resulting in lower reaction times, worse decision-making, etc.

Character Name: Skip

Please provide a short back story for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs:

Skip is an IPC that was created for the soul purpose of creating other mechanical forms of life, no matter how simple. Originally, he worked as an assistant to Holden Alston aboard various space stations, creating small bots that enhanced the quality of life for people aboard the station, such as medbots, floorbots, farmbots, etc. When the time was right, Alston told Skip that it was time for them to part, as there was nothing more Skip could learn from the old roboticist. Disheartened, Skip left as his mentor instructed in an attempt to help countless other stations with Alston's teachings that would never leave his positronic brain. Trying his best to sympathize as much as he can with humans, Skip's limited previous experience with them has left him with a far greater connection to synthetic life, which leads him to have short-lived relationships with humans in his department. Skip shines when he is left alone in a robotics lab for hours on end, only coming out in case of emergency, or if he needs higher-ups to sign off on forms. Generally speaking, Skip is a lighthearted and ecstatic IPC that wishes to help non-synthetic lifeforms understand the inner-workings of machines, as his mentor Holden initially intended. Currently, Skip is in transfer to Aurora Station, patiently waiting for an opening in the field of robotics.

What do you like about this character?

The various quirks and dialogue I've had the pleasure of exchanging with IPCs on Aurora have been uplifting and inspiring. I enjoy the prospect of being an IPC, as well as interacting with humans in a more interesting way than a roboticist's pet (borg) would. IPCs are visually closer to humans than cyborgs, and I would very much enjoy being more humanoid in appearance. I think tying my original character in with this character adds a lot more depth and freedom for my RP abilities, as there is a whole new level of referencing him to people that I may have interacted with playing as Holden previously. I love robotics in space station 13, and there is typically more than enough to do as one on Aurora, so I'd love to play as an IPC roboticist. Another addition to Skip that I added is that he is very abrasive, rubbing people the wrong way, due to his only real bond being his teacher Holden.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I have previously enjoyed playing on Aurora years ago. I recently came back, and I have been a part of multiple tabletop roleplays. I've even GM'd some since then. Science-Fiction is an interesting genre, especially in Space Station 13, where nothing is ever repeated incessantly. Adapting to environments as a human has had its perks; however, I would like to open the door to a completely new way to role play on Aurora. I've participated in roleplay servers on various MMOs such as Star Wars - The Old Republic, and I grew up on Star Wars Galaxies, which is completely player-driven and roleplay-heavy. I am a more cynical roleplayer, which can be a good or bad thing at times; however, I do enjoy getting serious when given a situation that has a certain gravity. For example, when on Aurora Station the AI took the research director captive, I decided to go against his words, in an attempt to rescue him through the powered off half of the station. This lead to an awkward bonding session, that I felt fit the character perfectly.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this, and I hope to see you in Space Station 13!

Edited by Guest

I'm afraid you will have to put in just a bit more effort here. The backstory is not very convincing and very bare bones. Try to accentuate the IPC rather than just the situations it gets in. Please try to accomplish this within a week or so.

Marking as attention needed until then.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay. I must require you to stretch out the backstory a little more to at least two paragraphs. Did Skip's owner just send him off with nothing? He wouldn't be considered "free" at that point. It would be completely legal for pretty much anyone to find an unowned synthetic and say "I own you now." If Skip has very little care to interact with organics, why does it want to teach them about synthetics so?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Application denied due to inactivity and lack of response to lore developer questions. I encourage you to reapply whenever you feel ready.