[Accepted]Worthy's Tajara Application

BYOND Key: Worthy

Character Names: Farah Malik, Aella Quinn, Lia Otis, Lily Hawkins, Stella Alice, Echelon, Zia Al-Andalusi, Victoria Kensington, Yvaine MacCallion.

Species you are applying to play: Tajara.

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): White.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I've been wanting to expand my character list beyond human-female only and figured tajara was a good place to start. I like how extensive the tajara lore is with the war waging on Adhomai, along with the multiple ethnicities. I think it's quite well done.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: There's a plethora of mechanical differences one has to take note of when playing a tajara, this includes, but is not limited to: Having claws, thus potentially being more lethal in hand to hand combat, Seeing better in the dark than humans, having to take care not to get too warm and to make sure they're wearing suits designed for them.

More interestingly are the lowkey non-mechanical aspects of roleplaying a tajara. Different types of emotes to display their current moods, expressions that are uncommon or don't exist at all amongst humans but are key to social interaction between tajara. With the tajara historically being a repressive, conservative species I'd also imagine them to be more naturally reserved socially, even moreso when speaking to another species entirely.

Character Name: Altai Al-Azir

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Altai Al-Azir was born to a M'sai bloodline in a modest family living under the regime of the People's Republic. Growing up in a relatively stable family that was happily, but barely, getting by, Altai was naturally free-spirited and curious, always seeking to push the boundaries of what he could and could not do in a near autocratic state. Realizing that this attitude could potentially lead to endanger his family, he joined the Grand People's Army at the age of 16, seeking to support his kin financially, and to also satisfy his own restlessness.

In the Army Altai found the camaraderie and athletic activity he was looking for. Enjoying the rigorous training and the clarity that came with only having to serve. Yet despite all this he constantly found himself wondering if this was all there is to it, that this would be his life, and nothing more. With the eventual youthful teenage enthusiasm fading, inevitably getting replaced by more and more scepticism as he grew into his twenties, Altai began to question whether or not he was on the right side. With the severe lack of privacy and the government keeping a close eye on all of it's citizens, along with rumours of simple and brutally efficient executions of any suspected traitors, Altai found himself becoming disillusioned with the People's Republic, finding ideas of a free democratic state, that isn't heavily supervised increasingly more appealing.

Realizing that these thoughts made him a liability to his family, Altai found himself torn between the two choices of continuing to live life in mediocrity and keep his family safe, or defecting and supporting the ideals closer to his heart. Unable to decide, and not wanting to endanger his family any further, he instead chose to run. Learning Tau-Ceti basic as quickly as he could from a class, and taking the first job offer he found as a Security Officer aboard the NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character? I quite like the dilemma I've constructed for him. His heart telling him to defect and support ideals he deems right, but his mind realizing that this would endanger his family tremendously. Staying on Adhomai would only continue this nagging sensation for him, thus causing him to leave, with some regrets.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 6.5/10, I like to think I've improved a bit since my last rating of 6/10.

Notes:

As HoS Sokolov will tell anyone; Lily is a great officer, saving his own ass many times and seamlessly taking leadership of the ISD when he was unavailable. The point I'm making is thus: Worthy is a great RPer and more than capable of handling a multitude of different characters and personalities. Although limited in OOC interaction, it seems a little irrelevant for this app even if it were not, they seem like a great guy. Pleasant and not looking to go for the throat at the slightest provocation like some people seem to be. +1, as if I really needed to actually write that down.

You asked and I shall deliver.

Character Names: Farah Malik, Aella Quinn, Lia Otis, Lily Hawkins, Stella Alice, Echelon, Zia Al-Andalusi, Victoria Kensington, Yvaine MacCallion.

I know them all, stellar characters. I'll reiterate as I said in their command application that I wouldn't have let them play Lily if I didn't feel like they were capable of it.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I've been wanting to expand my character list beyond human-female only and figured tajara was a good place to start. I like how extensive the tajara lore is with the war waging on Adhomai, along with the multiple ethnicities. I think it's quite well done.

Simple answer, could be expanded on why specifically this race compared to others? Sure they have multiple ethnicities and conflict, but what puts them in contrast with other species? They all have their own conflict and ethnicity, regardless on whether or not mechanically supported.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: There's a plethora of mechanical differences one has to take note of when playing a tajara, this includes, but is not limited to: Having claws, thus potentially being more lethal in hand to hand combat, Seeing better in the dark than humans, having to take care not to get too warm and to make sure they're wearing suits designed for them.

More interestingly are the lowkey non-mechanical aspects of roleplaying a tajara. Different types of emotes to display their current moods, expressions that are uncommon or don't exist at all amongst humans but are key to social interaction between tajara. With the tajara historically being a repressive, conservative species I'd also imagine them to be more naturally reserved socially, even moreso when speaking to another species entirely.

I like this answer, you split the mechanical side of things to the more in-character behavior, but I feel you could expand a bit on the latter. There's really so much more. Why not touch on the difference in ethnicity? Your answer is verbose and covers enough points to me but more never hurts.

Backstory:

Character Name: Altai Al-Azir

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Altai Al-Azir was born to a M'sai bloodline in a modest family living under the regime of the People's Republic. Growing up in a relatively stable family that was happily, but barely, getting by, Altai was naturally free-spirited and curious, always seeking to push the boundaries of what he could and could not do in a near autocratic state. Realizing that this attitude could potentially lead to endanger his family, he joined the Grand People's Army at the age of 16, seeking to support his kin financially, and to also satisfy his own restlessness.

In the Army Altai found the camaraderie and athletic activity he was looking for. Enjoying the rigorous training and the clarity that came with only having to serve. Yet despite all this he constantly found himself wondering if this was all there is to it, that this would be his life, and nothing more. With the eventual youthful teenage enthusiasm fading, inevitably getting replaced by more and more scepticism as he grew into his twenties, Altai began to question whether or not he was on the right side. With the severe lack of privacy and the government keeping a close eye on all of it's citizens, along with rumours of simple and brutally efficient executions of any suspected traitors, Altai found himself becoming disillusioned with the People's Republic, finding ideas of a free democratic state, that isn't heavily supervised increasingly more appealing.

Realizing that these thoughts made him a liability to his family, Altai found himself torn between the two choices of continuing to live life in mediocrity and keep his family safe, or defecting and supporting the ideals closer to his heart. Unable to decide, and not wanting to endanger his family any further, he instead chose to run. Learning Tau-Ceti basic as quickly as he could from a class, and taking the first job offer he found as a Security Officer aboard the NSS Aurora.

I actually quite like the story, it flowed really well with my reading and I didn't feel it stagnated at all. It touches on his youth moving on to his wanderlust. It specifically touches upon the conflict and how it shaped Altai as a character. All this resulted in them leaving, not wanting to risk themselves further or their family. It follows a very similar theme of my own Tajara application, so I guess I'm partial to it.

What do you like about this character? I quite like the dilemma I've constructed for him. His heart telling him to defect and support ideals he deems right, but his mind realizing that this would endanger his family tremendously. Staying on Adhomai would only continue this nagging sensation for him, thus causing him to leave, with some regrets.

I think you've conveyed this part exceptionally well with the background story.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 6.5/10, I like to think I've improved a bit since my last rating of 6/10.

The worst part of the application, almost made me want to give you a negative review. But in all seriousness, it should be an eight at the very least.

My verdict is a strong support with even more support if my critiques were addressed and possibly adapted. Worthy as a player is extremely pleasant and are a friend. Their character also have a likeness to them all, they feel distinct and in their own world as opposed to being an extension of each other. Give this person the whitelist, they're worthy enough.

So, you've posted an alien whitelist application, and it's time to deliver feedback.

Your characters, from all my experiences with them, are really good. I know all of them, and not one of them is the same. They all have backstories, they all have different personalities, and they're all a pleasure to interact with. Rating your roleplay at 6.5/10 is an understatement to be honest.

Onto the application itself.

I like your answer on how Tajara are different. Mainly - the part about the racial history. I feel like that could be expanded upon, but Sharp already touched on it.

The story itself. I actually like it. It's short, but it gets across who the character is very smoothly. It's easy to read, not a block of text, and covers what I wanted to see.

I'm all for supporting this application - so, a very big +1 from me. Good luck.

For the points raised by Matt, I don't have much to say. They represent my views here accurately. I love your characters, and it's pleasing to see them on the server. Aella Quinn, Lily Hawkins, Farah Malik, they're all great characters that I've interacted with to at least some extent.

I'll +1 this application for the above reasons raised by Matt, to reiterate. You can handle this.

It's an all right application with an outpouring of public support. I was particularly fond of the reason for leaving. Which appears to be an original concept: to avoid inevitably defecting and risking his family's life. A lot of people just kinda say "screw Adhomai that's a dumpster fire lol, let's go to human enlightened democracy" but you went with a fresh approach.

Application approved.