Character names:

MaESa

Janibot

Elliot Holland

Gary Thompson

Mortimer Solez

Fernando Griffin

Security Robot-275

There were a lot others, but I deleted them since I just recently got back from a long-term leave of absence and wanted to start anew.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

My memory's a little shonky, but I've been playing actively for a couple months. I've been playing sparingly for another 10. I might be a month or two off, like I was in my last application. I'm going to try to be a bit more active than last time.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

Being Head of Staff opens up a new array of possibilities to teach and lead new players and enables new opportunities to engage in a different variety of roleplay - Leadership.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

It was definitely the Heavy Roleplay thing. I've been in and out of the RP scene for years, and SS13 was a great game. Aurora put two and two together and that's what kept me here.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?:

Yes, I have. I also - No matter the significance of the role - usually have a tab open in the background for reference.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is - put simply - development of a character.

It is embodying a unique personality and appearance, and convincingly acting out said person through a Narrative.

It's making a new person and expressing that man convincingly and of the quality you would expect from a real person.

It's a vessel to be somebody you aren't, an insight to such a universe one could only dream about.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

Heads of Staff maintain cohesion and communication between different departments. They also assist in the uptake, promotion and demotion of personnel.

They also promote efficiency and push Nanotrasen's values and ideals. Thus, they're expected to be stellar employees and proven loyal to the Corporation's beliefs through maximising profits and minimizing expenses, usually through questionable business tactics.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

One of the big ones is probably being helpful and respectful. They're expected to teach and guide people, such goals only accomplishable without bias.

The other big one is one not restricted only to Heads of Staff, it's almost common - following the server rules.

You wouldn't get anywhere if you're busy flooding Maintainence with phoron or if you're speaking Russian over common.

Lastly, you need to be knowledgable. If you know a rat's ass about surgery or Medicine, yet you're CMO, how are your expected to teach somebody something you don't know?

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:

Elliot Holland

Character age:

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Elliot Holland's childhood was relatively underwhelming. There was not much to speak of. He attended School, whined and had unrealistic aspirations like any other kid. His Parents were both born into militaristic occupations, as with the family before them and so on. His Father was a rank-and-file Law Enforcement officer while his Mother persued Criminal Law. Because of this, at a young age, Elliot was instilled with a sense of Duty and the expectation that later in his life he was to uphold the conservative beliefs of his parents, enrolling in the Military or some sort of position in Law. That happened. Once he graduated, he decided to follow suite of his parents by making a living through being a Civilian Security guard. It was an underwhelming and unrewarding position to say the least. He was paid peanuts in exchange to stand around and look fancy for eight hours a day for over a year. He got his break through his parents, who provided an opportunity to attend the New Seoul Combat Training Centre. With his own accumulated profits, he travelled with a light reliance on his parents to finance him, though continued persuing an occupation with the big Corporations through picking up whatever odd jobs he could appeal to him to continue paying for his tuition. To him, all of Nanotrasen's actions were honorable in the name of Science. Nanotrasen's persuit of capable security personnel was an added bonus. He didn't care what Nanotrasen was doing, so as long as he could take part in some gnarly fireteam instead of patrolling beats or being some sodden desk jockey. He wasn't going to fall victim to the fate of being trapped in a meaningless career where his say meant nothing and he was mearly a cog in a bigger machine, or some sort of minion. The Aurora's Security Force was almost a second family to him. Everybody knew eachother and everybody had a say, albeit a negligable one. It also beat the wage of any other career.

He got what he wanted, and it only took 11 years. After 11 years of extended loyalty and tolerable performance, Nanotrasen saw fit to promote him to the rank he demanded. And Elliot accepted the offer graciously, now working towards a comfortable retirement, not some self-imposed life goal.

What do you like about this character?:

He's very loyal, not robotic though. Bureaucratic, but still puts his own interests first.

Still has emotion and respects others just like he would himself, just with a tint of loyalty.

What do you dislike about this character?:

There is not much I dislike about this character, though if I had to choose, he's a little larrikin.

Double edged sword, I like characterisation but that sort of personality can lead to a few issues IC.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Well, like I've mentioned before, loyalty can get in the ways of things. Roleplaying becomes a bit more of a chore when you have to watch what you say to prevent compromising your Backstory.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

I hold myself in somewhat high regard. I'm confident in my ability and confident that I can uphold not only my own expectations, but the expectations of others.

Extra notes:

My presence might be a little fragmented. I should be able to get on for entire days sometimes, but not at all on others. I hope that's acceptable.

Edited by Guest

I don't know any of the characters, and most answers seem pretty good, if a bit short. I don't really care for the backstory though, a security guard on the Aurora is the same as any other security guard. Antags and constant firefights aren't canon. It's not gonna be a thrilling, dangerous job. It seems like the character is all about "muh nanotrasen" and that's not something I usually enjoy seeing. He would realistically have a life outside NT, and I don't see much about that.

I don't know any of the characters, and most answers seem pretty good, if a bit short. I don't really care for the backstory though, a security guard on the Aurora is the same as any other security guard. Antags and constant firefights aren't canon. It's not gonna be a thrilling, dangerous job. It seems like the character is all about "muh nanotrasen" and that's not something I usually enjoy seeing. He would realistically have a life outside NT, and I don't see much about that.

I totally get what you're saying. Forgive me for saying this, but how else would a Security officer be promoted for such a position? Would it be from experience or just because they needed somebody to fill in? I admit, I don't like that model either, but I just don't see another way.

I'm willing to edit my backstory, either way.

He'd get promoted by staying with the Company and being competent. He doesn't have to live, breathe, and worship the company to be promoted. And as I said, you should eliminate most, if not all, of the stuff about him wanting to avoid boring patrols and have a thrilling job, since the usual shift is calm and boring in-canon.

He'd get promoted by staying with the Company and being competent. He doesn't have to live, breathe, and worship the company to be promoted. And as I said, you should eliminate most, if not all, of the stuff about him wanting to avoid boring patrols and have a thrilling job, since the usual shift is calm and boring in-canon.

Alright, I'll switch it up a little. Also, he didn't really want action, he more wanted to order, discipline and to have his name acknowledged instead of being a Minion.

Edit: Updated

Please play some more so we can provide better feedback, as you said you were away for some time and these applications only get accepted if there is feedback to support them. I'd be happy to provide a +1 if I could see you in game more.

Please play some more so we can provide better feedback, as you said you were away for some time and these applications only get accepted if there is feedback to support them. I'd be happy to provide a +1 if I could see you in game more.

I have to apologise, I've been away for a couple of days. I should be back online Tomorrow, though.