[Accepted] Adrae's Command Whitelist

BYOND key:Adrae

Character names:Michelle Sulyard, Dayna Weisgarber, Celeste Judge

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:Five-ish weeks

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:I would like to make it more common that we have a command crew. I like the idea of being someone who keeps the wheels going

Why did you come to Aurora?:Heavy RP is something I like to do.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?:Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is about putting your heart and soul into someone who isn't explicitly you. While they may have aspects of you, it is more like making a living work of art than a mask you put on. Roleplay is more than just your kill count or your arrest count. It is about feeling an attachment to your character, and letting them make decisions on what to do sometimes.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:A head of staff is there to make sure that issues that start in-game can be resolved in-game, one way or another, without either player feeling cheated. Their characters may think it's crap, but the idea behind the heads is that they keep IC issues from bleeding into OOC. Whether that's the HoS stopping security validhunts, the RD stopping the xenobiologist from going on a slimy slide of slime, or the HoP from stopping people from needing to cryo and rejoin.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Whitelisted players are supposed to help others, and give guidance in any way they can, even if it's just a sympathetic word or personal advice. They are supposed to ensure that everyone under them has a round that is fun, and should work with the players to keep people engaged and excited to keep playing. If someone is unsure of what to do, they can receive direction and new goals by their command staff. The command staff is there to push people to be the best their characters can be.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:Kristen Leach

Character age:33

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

"So, Ms. Leach. Your record is decent. But, the question remains. Why do you want to work for NanoTrasen?"

"Darling, isn't is obvious? I like to be ahead of the curve."

Born in Anemostrovilos, on the colony of Reade, Kristen Leach grew up watching the shuttles come in and out. She became interested in the "why"s of commerce, and the "how"s quickly followed. She spent her days as a young teenager following around crew of ships, asking for tips and advice on the way to keep books balanced. She'd spend the rest of her free time working with cheap stocks, understanding how it worked. Never feeling quite at home as a worker, Kristen was determined to become a manager.

She entered university just before she turned twenty, graduating with a four-year degree in economics, with a minor in psychology. Going to work for Hephaestus, originally as a supply quartermaster, she carefully fostered the reputation of being a bit of a hardass. To her Cargo Technicians, she would always lend a hand, ear, or shoulder if they needed it, but those in other departments learned to ensure they did not submit extraneous requests. After several years of working in Hephaestus, she transferred over to Nanotrasen, hoping for more financial opportunities, and more ways to prove her economical accumen.

What do you like about this character?:

This character is kindhearted, but doesn't take extra crap from people. She's focused on making people work well, rather than being the one doing the work.

What do you dislike about this character?:

This character's going to be different, since they aren't personally running around doing things. Trying to play a character who is important is going to be a bit difficult, but I'm excited for the challenge.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Kristen believes that true productivity comes from happy workers, and that it costs more to train an employee than to fire one who may not be working as hard. She's going to try to resolve issues in a non-violent manner, and keep people smiling and happy.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:7 out of 10. I don't always know how to act, and sometimes I do things that I later feel were quite stupid. However, I always take criticism as a way to improve.

Extra notes:I want honest opinions, not a "+1 because they kept spamming in OOC chat." Your opinions are really important to me, and will help me plan ahead with this character. Thank you for reading my whitelist, and giving it a chance.

Edited by Guest

Very new for a command WL, that's super bold. I like it, though; wish I had that courage!

Sulyard is (was, RIP) one of my favorite cadets to play with, both IC and OOC; Adrae is being really humble about their RP abilities here. They really know how to stay in character and make their characters feel alive. There were zero troubles with their cadet character going out of line from the cadet role. I don't know if they were learning, or were just a veteran player who really knew how to stay in their character's place, but either way she was both notable and impressive.

On that line of thinking, I want to know how much you know about the actual mechanics of the game and what you'll be expected to know in a command role; you should have some rudimentary knowledge on the departments you'll be heading (Sounds like a HoP, so basically what the employees in supply and service require for their jobs, what's expected of them, etc.) Do you think you possess this knowledge?

I'd like to see you detail some of the questions a bit more, too, namely What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them? I know you CAN do this, but I want to hear how you think you could do, personally, to uphold them. I also want to hear how you think Ms. Leach, in particular, will try to make those under her work harder.

Honestly, I know you're capable of turning Ms. Leach into an extremely interesting and fun character (I already love her from this little preview). I know you're capable of performing to the standards of an IC command member. And most importantly to me, I know your OOC conduct is amazing, and you'll serve as a great example of what whitelistees should strive to be. It sounds like you're up for the challenge of learning and serving in an important role (And I know you're not one to shy away from asking questions or for advice). I'd like to see you do it.

In case there was any doubt, this is a solid +1 from me.

edit: Wait a minute is that the Dayna that ends up as a hostage like 80% of the time???

I never knew it was you. Wow. +2, she is amazing as well.

Edited by Guest

Adrae conducts themselves well both in and out of game, and I echo Doxx's comments about their roleplay (though for me it's generally watching terrible things happen to Weisgarber).

Much of the trickier bits of playing command have to do with policy and procedure that may not always be readily apparent to newer players, but they can be learned. This is certainly a player I'd like to see try a command role.

Ah yes I do remember you and Sulyard for that matter and their death was tragic from the logs of that round i read about 50 times.

Anyways I'd like to ask, regarding the death, was it something you planned for a while or did you just decide to go with it as it happened? Some other reason?

Not a lot of people would just kill off their probably most active character and thus it peaks my curiosity.

Well, to give you some background, I've been playing RPGs and larps for about 13 years. I recognize that for every story ending in triumph, there are more that end in a shallow grave. That doesn't make it easier to lose your favourite.

Michelle was my favourite. She was a self-insert in many ways, and I feel like I put more time and energy into making her a real person than I spent on myself :P. I regret losing her, and I continuously wish I could've had her be cloned at a later date, then returned after physical therapy or whatever. I had planned on finally promoting her to officer, and had even made a cadet evaluation sheet.

There are two main reasons for me keeping her death as it is:

1. It wouldn't make much sense for NT to authorize cloning, an expensive and time-consuming process, for a cadet that is relatively cheap to replace. That's why I didn't have her get cloned on the Odin, and the IC reason she was DNC in her records ((OOC reason being every time I get cloned I spend the next hour getting mental shit fixed until the shuttle comes)).

2. It fit the narrative. It's fine for NPCs to die, in some people's eyes. They aren't real people, since the interaction was so limited. But when the death toll includes a player character, things get personal. No longer are the players allowed to just go "Well, it was some tajaran woman who died", it's now "My friend is the one who died." That's got much more of an impact than the death toll being: NPC one, NPC two, ERT member one.