[Accepted] FreshRefreshments Dionaea Whitelist App

BYOND Key: FreshRefreshments

Character Names: Erin MacGregor, Mjraarjiarr Roshtanov, Mer’tala Kaemah, and Suzuul Guwan are the main 4. A full list in the Signature.

Species you are applying to play: Dionaea

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):Exempt.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: I have.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: For a lack of a better word, they are very- alien. Its interesting to see such a different creature and the way it reacts to the things around it. Dionaea are mysterious, and the few that I have interacted with were always interesting. They are on par with Vaurca, for their insectoid hivemind, for being some of the most really alien creatures.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Mechanically, they are VERY different. They heal brute damage from being irradiated, will die without any heat, need at least some light, can absorb mobs, and, if hurt enough, can turn into a big pile of nymphs. They are perfectly evolved to survive the vacuum of space. They also move incredibly slowly. RP-Wise, they often act like synthetics, as the forming puts an emotional barrier over them. They move and talk as if 6 creatures need to come to an agreement on what to do, and speak often using “We” or “Us”, as, they are a gestalt of 6 Nymphs.

Character Name: Harmony of Metal and Fire

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

In the year 2417, an Engineer by the name of Nikolas Jenkins, out of a deep seated loneliness and a need for companionship, undertook a Diona nymph to grow and care for. Nikolai cared for them, ensuring they grew quickly. After a few months, he convinced himself to own another. One nymph turned into two. Three turned into five. Eventually he regularly had 6 nymphs running around his home, yet he did his part to keep them from merging, as he was afraid of losing his beloved pets. However, keeping track of all 6 nymphs was difficult, coupled with at times a need to work on things at home.

In the year 2420, the nymphs finally managed to come together late at night, while Nikolai was busy with work, the 6 nymphs finally managed to meet up and came together to form a Gestalt. The sound of nymphs wrapping and blending stirred him from half-slumber half-autopilot working, and when he finally rubbed the blurryness from his eyes, laid witness to a new Gestalt. Although at first very skeptical of the Gestalt, as Nikolai had ingrained issues trusting people, the new Gestalt (whom took on the name, Harmony of Metal and Fire, in reference to the loud sounds and bright flames of the workshop when they were created), stuck by their original caretaker, still showing their curiosity they displayed when they were individual nymphs.

Nikolai sated their curiosity with the thing he knew best; Engineering. He showed and taught HoMaF many of the basics, and some more in depth knowledge. As Nikolai aged, he implored HoMaF to take up an Engineering job, formally. To take real education, rather than an informal apprenticeship. Just recently, HoMaF has finally finished up their formal education needed to be a full Engineer. To them, there is scarcely a better place to find engineering work rather than a space station made for research. They still live back on Mendell, with Nikolai, who is now retired and entering his 80’s.

What do you like about this character?

They are analytical, but at the same time, can understand emotions just fine. They’re curious, they want to be helpful, and they want to make themselves appreciated. It can also lead to some innocent naivety, what with seeing every species as equal, inherently, regardless of even how they see them.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

Id say, 7-8 out of 10. I do try, and sometimes I get in a more emotive mood than normal, depending on the character, but I try to interact as well as I can and as much as I can. Im far from perfect, and I’m not proud of every interaction i’ve ever had, but from what others I have interacted with tell me, I’m above average.

Notes: Any constructive feedback would be appreciated! I dont exactly know for sure if I have Dionaea biology down to a tee, but I assume I do and hope for the best.

Edited by Guest

-1 name too cool for you, I want it.

I like Dionaea backgrounds that come from a place connected with reality. "Where'd you come from?" "The voooid of spaaace." is not always easy to connect with. "Meeendeeeell" is sure to raise some eyebrows. There are Dionaea that were raised by people, too! And this one seems like a solid addition to the dwindling tree population. Not to mention, Fresh is an alright sort.

+1

I can tell that Fresh is genuinely interested in playing this species, and its interesting to see a diona that was grown and raised by a human. Its a nice and unique back story. He's also an excellent RPer in his own right, and all his characters are unique and interesting, and fun to interact with. +1

Sick name, cool story, and if anyone can make a Dionaea memorable, it's you. Your characters are very well thought-out, developed, and feel like real people. This is true for both whitelists you already possess, and so I know you can rock this one as well. You care about the lore, and you're very talented at exploring a species while giving all your characters personality, and representing the lore accurately. I know you don't make these apps lightly, and you'll do the trees justice.

Your RP is more than solid, and I find myself making mental notes on how to improve my own writing while watching you play.

I'm not 100% sure on like the actual early stages of the backstory, but Nein can point out if anything doesn't make sense. Personally I love that Harmony has a sort of family tie in their backstory. That's such a great little detail!

+1, absolutely.

Timeline's off. Skrell weren't discovered by humans until 2413, and Dionaea were first discovered by skrell in the 2300 era, so there's no way a human would take a dionaea nymph into its care in 2406.

Judgement day.

So, you may have been wondering why I haven't written any replies, poking you for answers or clarifications and wanting to know more.

It's mostly because I have no questions to ask. You know the lore. You know the character. You know what you want to do with them. You're known by the community positively. Any conflicts was already handled between you and the community. Even though some may see this one as "mundane", this character is a real wholesome, slice-of-life character that's a bit difficult to find nowadays, and both you and your characters are much the same way making interactions pleasant and making them feel "real". By the time the interactions are over, everyone leaves happy and satisfied.

This was one of those "gold buzzer" applications, and despite the fact that I could have approved it from day one (and wanted to after having finished reading it all), I wanted to leave it up a little longer to see if there was anything the community could add to it. Overall, it was a solid application.

Now let's see how well you do playing one!

Application Accepted.