Hocka's Head of Staff Application

BYOND key: Hocka

Character names: https://i.imgur.com/4uTzXda.png

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Approximately 11 months.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Quite often I see issues that could be remedied by the presence of a Head of Staff, (both gameplay in rounds, and actual roleplay) but the correct Head of Staff (or none at all) are present, sometimes at critical moments.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

I came to Aurora after a friend of mine told me about Space Station 13 after we played a similar game. Aurora was the first server I remember seeing on the hub being marked as 'HRP' so I decided to test the waters and adjust, and I liked what I found. Slowly growing something of an addiction.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Yes.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? No.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

What I think the actual definition of roleplay is, is putting yourself in the position of a character (whether this is simply somewhere else in the world, at another time, or in a different universe) and acting as you think they would in their given scenarios within reason. Roleplay should be about everyone getting to fairly portray their character in a reasonable manner, and allowing that character to develop from interactions, current events and backstory, making them seem alive and real to the best of one's ability whilst not making the situation undesirable for other people taking part.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

I think a Head of Staff's purpose is to firstly, ensure their department is able to function properly. A round could come to a grinding halt if an Engineering team didn't know how to set up either of the Engines, or an Inexperienced medical team is unable to properly treat injured crew members. In the absence of experience and/or knowledge, they should take point, lead and teach, within their character's bounds, so that new players (either new to the job/department, or new to the server as a whole) doesn't have a negative experience due to their lack of knowledge. Additionally they should be able to keep their department moving in a direction that doesn't negatively impact the roleplay of others and preferably, increases the potential for roleplay. Such as a Chief Engineer who makes sure Engineering doesn't immediately resort to fortifying their department and forming a militia because there are rumors that someone might have done something.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

A Head of Staff should be able to point newer players in the right direction regarding concerns and questions as well as ensuring they are learning the department/job properly, and know how to perform it without breaking rules, and ensuring they know to keep with the rules in general. In addition, the head of a department should be taking care of the players in their department and ensuring they are doing what they can to ensure they have a good roleplay experience, as well as others who are interacting with the department. I attempt to uphold these responsibilities by making sure people in the training roles understand the tasks they are carrying out and how to improve their techniques. I would check with the personnel in my department to check if they have any special requests I could fulfill for projects, or inter-departmental activities.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?

Tau Ceti was just recently slammed by an attack from a Vaurca Hive that there is little information on - The Lii'dra - and is just recovering. New Gibson suffered the heaviest of all damages from this attack, with the highest cost remaining for repairs. Biesel was hit with a remnant of the Lii'dra ship that entered Tau Ceti space, landing in the Rift near Mendell City, causing flooding (and resulting damages) in the bordering regions in Mendell. The attack has caused an increased tensions between Vaurca and other species.

Jeremiah saw Vaurca as quite the unknown and reserves something of a fear for the unknown. The Lii'dra attack only made him increasingly wary of Vaurca, as if their presence itself is a threat, despite not relating to the Lii'dra. In regards to his actual occupation, Jeremiah was recalled from his relatively new position in Biesel to work back on the NSS Aurora. as a direct consequence of the Lii'dra attacks.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted? Chief Engineer.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.: Jeremiah Echard, Chief Engineer.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: On a simple out-of-10 basis, 7.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yes.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Yes.

Extra notes:

Hocka is a competent engineer and atmospheric technician, and I've had the fortune of teaching and watching him grow his characters over the last few months. Mechanically wise, I'd say he's got all the important things down pat, and he's certainly capable of showing newer players the ropes. I've also seen him take on Interim CE a couple times over the past week or so on Jeremiah, and he's performed well.

Roleplay wise, I always enjoy interacting with Hocka's characters, and he manages to make them all seem different and unique. Jeremiah was the first one that I got to work with, and I'm glad to see him still kicking around. I'm confident he'd be able to step up to the plate as a member of command staff, and especially as a Chief Engineer. He has a solid +1 from me.

Hocka is a good lad OOCly and I think very few people have bad things to say about their characters (Vex is the goodest bug).

I've had plenty of interaction with them. They know the game, furrycactus vouches for their engineering, and their RP is solid. I don't remember many, if any, issues with their OOC conduct. I think they're a good fit for a command whitelist. Hearty +1

• 2 weeks later...

Hocka has been interim a few times, and I'm pretty sure he knows more about engineering than I do with my own Head of Staff whitelist. He has taught me how to do atmospherics in a very enjoyable manner, and I believe he would be able to do the same for any apprentices (or CEs, yikes) that ask him to show it to them. Big ole +1, good luck, buddy!

Having played with you as command, I definitely feel like you're a good fit for it. No red flags. If I had any concerns, it would be your radio silence. I would like to see you communicating on the command channel more frequently. I know it's easy to get wrapped up in projects for staff like CEs and RDs but remember that command helps coordinate round direction and having good communication between heads of staff goes a long way in making the round fun for the departments under them.

Overall, I think you're doing a good job. Still a good +1 from me.

edit: Having seen your communications with the engineering department, I'm even more confident in your abilities. You do great organizing and delegating. Just talk more with command!

So, while Hocka stole my precious CE slot from right under my nose, I observed the bugger.

I think he's an incredibly fitting command member, he was actually pretty nervous after a hectic round and messaged me and asked about how he did and how he could improve. Not only that but he actually handled the chaoticness of it pretty well. I think he's a pretty damn good replacement for me, please release me from this torment.

Big ole +1.

I've also observed Hocka a few times when I was bored or didn't feel up to joining. He's done an exceptionally well job at working as a member of command and has shown he can manage his department well. He's also incredibly open to feedback and always wants to improve, which is also always a great thing to see.

(And as geebes said, I'd also trust him to replace me as CE. Unshackle us now please and put Hocka in our place.)