[ACCEPTED] Aboshehab Vaurca Whitelist

BYOND Key: Aboshehab

Character Names: Khaled Al-Bastaki - Head of Security / Raymond Hawkins - Captain / Weirup Vi’lees - Security Officer / Rasheeq Al-Sammach - Security Officer / Mike Knight - Paramedic

Note: I have a lot more characters which I play but I prefer to keep them a secret. I’m sure some of you are familiar with some of these so I’ll kindly ask you don’t mention them by name. I’ve also got a couple of other characters that people have interacted with in the past but I've removed. Examples for the latter being Charles Hall and Dianna Blackwood.

Species you are applying to play: Vaurca

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): RGB 61, 0, 0

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Every now and then I get a concept with an alien race that I’d like to explore. Right now I have one involving a Vaurca. I’m not positive that I will enjoy the experience but it’s something I plan on trying.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Biologically. They’re defined an insectoid like creature. Exoskeleton like build with differing types spread between their workers, their warriors which also differ in types, breeders where the male are traditionally bound while the females unbound and then you have Cephalon which is described as a supercomputer.

They cannot breathe oxygen without some phoron. They are generally heavily augmented dynamically with the bound being the most modified. Their sustenance relies on “The substance” which we know as K’ois. Their mandibles if not augmented present an issue when speaking as certain pronunciations aren’t possible.

Culturally. There is a very strong emphasis on their Virtual Reality when it comes to entertainment, as it provides what they want. I’ve compared their VR to the one they had in the Matrix in the sense that they can enter existing networks or construct their own. However to a Vaurca that spends time working, in the case of the characters that we have working on the Aurora, a Vaurca ends up finding other things to spend their time with.

When it comes to clothes, Vaurca are very minimalistic by nature but their interaction with Human fashion has apparently led their unbound to be interested and curious. Furthermore, their art seems to be expressed through the senses such as speech, visuals and touch.

Politically. The Vaurca depending on their hive are in a very precarious state. Specifically in Tau Ceti considering the recent events, the Vaurca overall are treated with extreme distrust by the general population. They live in what is effectively the slums and in regards to income are pay only a fraction of what the average person does.

Character Name: Ka’Akaix’Virk Zo’ra

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Ka’Akaix’Virk Zo’ra, a unbound Vaurca worker of The Liminal Queen that spent decades connected to the VR, his specialty and niches being that of construction and architecture. A relatively countless amount of time spent building, designing and molding ultimate creations. Buildings of gargantuan scale and efficiency. Buildings built to their function, perfect in their every sense, lacking any flaws to them. True joy and blissful experience was what they went through the network only to be disconnected. Titan Prime has arrived in Tau Ceti and then the evacuation happened.

Virk was transported away from the ship moved down to the city of Mendel, effectively relegated to live in the squalor and slums of their district, amongst his kind. Riots and attacks were common. Existence was not easy nor was it as comfortable. The Solerian blockades started a famine that starved a great number. Then came the occupation, the threat of exile looming over them. Now the Scourge is here and and existence remains uncertain, though the Hive remains optimistic and so does he. The Zo’ra hive is unstoppable afterall. Their current condition is nothing but a road bump, a hiccup, or so he believes.

With the prospect of connecting to the VR network not as often as Virk would like or hope, other activities are pursued to supplement this. Though not as good as the network, Virk when idle defaults to drawing and designing what he can, though the scale and visuals of his real products always seemed underwhelming compared to what he can produce using the perfect canvas, the VR.

What do you like about this character? The appeal to me here is the distinction between the virtual reality and actual reality, the differences between the two are major to Virk where he tries to get accustomed to things. He feels underwhelmed and disappointed in the nature of their role which will be an engineering apprentice. Compared to what he could build in the VR, he finds himself mending wires, fixing vendors, getting rid of fungus and so on.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I generally dislike this question. I’d prefer to let people rate me.

Notes: Out of all the species I’ve applied for, I feel the Vaurca had the most written down about them. I feel there might be some discrepancies here with what I wrote but I’m hoping otherwise.

An Abo whitelist? :o

I really like the story, and I have a few questions to sate my curiosity about the character before giving a rating.

I don't really think it explains just how he started working for NanoTrasen itself. Sure, he's got the motivation to find work to his related field, but why NanoTrasen specifically? The Liminal Queen's brood is contractually obligated, in most cases, to work for Government *and* Corporate facilities. He could just as simply work at a Government facility as a NanoTrasen facility. What made him choose NT Over a Government complex? Why wouldn't he stay and aid in the construction of his home in the District over where he is now, in an NT Complex?

It does mention the Scourge, which I like, but how would he feel going head to head with them? How would he react to this scenario, such as that's already happened aboard the NSS Aurora? Is he afraid of the possibility, is he not worried? Is he confident that it wouldn't happen again?

Also, how exactly did he learn that the Real World of Tau Ceti wasn't like VR? What was his experience regarding it? Was there anything special, and nice information added, or was it just a simple 'We came to a place that wasn't what we expected.' Either's nice, I'm just curious!

What position would you have them be in, if they were able to pick a position immediately? (Not including the avowal, of course.) And why would you pick that position specifically?

I don't really think it explains just how he started working for NanoTrasen itself. Sure, he's got the motivation to find work to his related field, but why NanoTrasen specifically? The Liminal Queen's brood is contractually obligated, in most cases, to work for Government *and* Corporate facilities. He could just as simply work at a Government facility as a NanoTrasen facility. What made him choose NT Over a Government complex? Why wouldn't he stay and aid in the construction of his home in the District over where he is now, in an NT Complex?

They're contractually obligated. Virk works where he is needed, otherwise why would they even leave the VR. There's really not much to it, it's not by choice.

It does mention the Scourge, which I like, but how would he feel going head to head with them? How would he react to this scenario, such as that's already happened aboard the NSS Aurora? Is he afraid of the possibility, is he not worried? Is he confident that it wouldn't happen again?

He wouldn't go face to face with them. That is not his job, he's an unbound worker. If he were to face them, naturally he would be scared. Any Vaurca that specializes in fighting outclasses him by default, so it's not something he would keep his hopes up for.

Also, how exactly did he learn that the Real World of Tau Ceti wasn't like VR? What was his experience regarding it? Was there anything special, and nice information added, or was it just a simple 'We came to a place that wasn't what we expected.' Either's nice, I'm just curious!

The way I envisioned it if we're being specific with Tau Ceti is the day by day activities. He's been off the VR for a while now aside from limited trips back. He's experienced the events of that have occurred over the years. It's the realization of how things are as time passes. Imagine going from designing skyscrapers to mending wires. He knew it was different, I feel an unbound knows the difference between the VR and reality, but what really strikes out is the disappointment they feel out of it. I'm sure Vaurca to an extent crave using the VR.

What position would you have them be in, if they were able to pick a position immediately? (Not including the avowal, of course.) And why would you pick that position specifically?

Engineering apprentice and then station engineer. It's the closest thing to Virks expertise.

Since you told me to examine your application closely, I'll point out, and ask some critical questions that I feel would tell me more about the essence of this character.

1. I get a German Watchmaker feel from reading Virks story. Is this an apt feeling? Do you think Virk would be OCD about their projects?

2. Does Virk live by themselves separate from their hive cell? If they live with their hive-cell, do they value the ideas of others in his hive-cell? Or is his vision of perfection (something only realistically obtainable in VR) his own?

3. Does he begrudge his mother Ta or overseeing Ta for assigning him these duties that bring him out of VR?

4. How does Virk feel about tajaras? Has he had any noteworthy interactions with them during his time in the city?

5. How does Virk feel about K'lax, or C'thur?

1. I get a German Watchmaker feel from reading Virks story. Is this an apt feeling? Do you think Virk would be OCD about their projects?

I'm not sure what a German watchmaker implies but the way I envisioned him when it comes to a project, in the VR is that he does have a compulsion with these projects to be done in his way, his image. Work needs to be perfect.

2. Does Virk live by themselves separate from their hive cell? If they live with their hive-cell, do they value the ideas of others in his hive-cell? Or is his vision of perfection (something only realistically obtainable in VR) his own?

I don't think Vaurca living in the district get that many luxuries, and Virk isn't exactly at the top of the totem pole. Most likely he would be sharing what ever living area he has with like minded unbound. Same interests. Same thought processes. I doubt he'd be the only one that believes in the perfect of their art. I also believe that he is capable of working for perfection with others.

3. Does he begrudge his mother Ta or overseeing Ta for assigning him these duties that bring him out of VR?

It's a mixed bag. Yes he would love nothing but to go back to the VR and effectively live out his perfect fantasies. Yet with all that in mind, the hive is a collective force, there is a certain level of satisfaction he gets for serving. He is disappointed with the nature of work he is presently given but Virk is still satisfied in the sense he is doing a service, he is doing his best. There's the understanding that ever Vaurca has a purpose, while there is a level of individualism, they are still mainly a collective. A big family. Every cog in the machine has a purpose.

4. How does Virk feel about tajaras? Has he had any noteworthy interactions with them during his time in the city?

Beyond some casual harassment in the workplace or city, nothing major about the Tajara. The riots that occur by the district and the recent attacks aren't limited to the Tajara but also extend to Humans and I presume Unathi as well. Virk is very cautious around those three races, disgruntled with the difference in their social standing with his. Even the lowliest of them is still afforded better respect and attention. He would want to show superiority but due to a lack of really everything, Virk is unable to.

5. How does Virk feel about K'lax, or C'thur?

K'lax get a stereotypical feel. They're servants, they're a level below the Zo'ra. Anything they can do the Zo'ra can do better. Any K'lax that is similar to him will always be inferior as Virk knows better. Has done better in the VR. Can certainly do better in reality if given the resources. Yet there is also a certain level of envy. The K'lax in hegemony space seem better off than the Zo'ra in Tau Ceti. They are afforded more prestigious positions. They got a whole planet to themselves while the Zo'ra are effectively in squalor, especially in Mendel.

C'thur on the other hand get a certain level of dislike and envy. They managed dodge the bureaucratic red tape Virk will need to pass. Their standard of living within the Federation as far more superior than Zo'ras current one. Perhaps Virk could pursue a project of his own had the Zo'ra entered Federation space instead? There's a lot in the air that he thought about.

It's mostly because Germans uphold themselves to standards of the perfection of engineering if you think about it in a stereotypical way. So a German watchmaker would be, for example, 'This Watch is perfection, and I will have it no other way. If any piece is out of place, I will fix it. It won't be a spot, nothing but the best.'

Which I would attribute to the K'lax. In fact, one of the Queens, (Queen of Corpses?) only cares for her brood's engineering accomplishments if they're sufficiently 'K'lax like'. But it is an interesting character, and I do like how they look at the C'thur.

Well you begged me for comments and so I shall oblige.

I don't have much to say, at this point. You've answered the posed questions thoroughly, I have a good sense for the character, and you demonstrate an understanding of them expected of a whitelistee.

As far as RP goes, you know I enjoy your characters. They feel real. They're fleshed out. I don't doubt Virk will be the same. You do an excellent job.

If I had any question to pose to you, I think it would be in regards to OOC knowledge seeping in. In short: You're robust, both mechanically and with situational awareness, knowing enough when you can and can't win a fight, and having the reflexes and know-how to win almost any confrontation. This fits Khaled, and some of your other characters. However, Vaurca are much more passive in nature, and especially as a Ka, you're basically not ready for fighting in most, if not all, circumstances. Do you believe you will be able to tone down your reflexes and abilities to fit this character? I feel like too many people use their OOC robustness to make even their meekest and weakest characters able to disarm weapons and do advanced grabs. I want to know how you think you can represent this character when it comes to such things like fear and fighting.

In any case, I do believe you deserve a +1, on the merit of your RP abilities, characters, and demonstration of lore knowledge.

Well you begged me for comments and so I shall oblige.

Slander.

If I had any question to pose to you, I think it would be in regards to OOC knowledge seeping in. In short: You're robust, both mechanically and with situational awareness, knowing enough when you can and can't win a fight, and having the reflexes and know-how to win almost any confrontation. This fits Khaled, and some of your other characters. However, Vaurca are much more passive in nature, and especially as a Ka, you're basically not ready for fighting in most, if not all, circumstances. Do you believe you will be able to tone down your reflexes and abilities to fit this character? I feel like too many people use their OOC robustness to make even their meekest and weakest characters able to disarm weapons and do advanced grabs. I want to know how you think you can represent this character when it comes to such things like fear and fighting.

Virk is a worker and not a warrior, so in terms of mechanics he loses out on the dice ability which is pretty strong. In terms of character concept, their job is not to fight, so it's not something they will willingly put themselves in. Survival will be a priority in most circumstances and I think I'm able to lower the combat ability of my characters regardless on how well I can do as a player. Dianna Blackwood before I ended up removing her has never fired her sidearm from what I recall and she's been through a lot of hectic rounds.

I think I can play out the abilities of my character and I believe I have in the past. Just keeping Virk in the background and docile as to avoid the attention of hostiles. Running away. Finding a place to hide. Roam around and stay away from points of conflict. It really depends on the situation.