[Denied] CubaFromCoderbus application for Head Staff

BYOND key: CubaFromCoderbus

Character names: Beatrix Von Bohlen

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: I don't remember, but probably for a few years if it's been up that long. I play a lot of Space Station. I haven't played a lot of Aurora, though, because of the Whitelist process.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I almost always play a Head role on servers. I noticed that Aurora doesn't have an HoS on lowpop, and it leads to frustrating experiences.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Most stations are too boring or too chaotic. Aurora is a good mix.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: I always read relevant wikis, and keep them up in a separate tab while I'm playing.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is the assumption of the role of a character usually other than yourself, existing necessarily in a fictional world. During the course of a roleplay, you and others around you agree to pretend as if the consequences for the actions of your fictional characters are real. Part of roleplaying is ignoring information you might know in the real world if your character doesn't know it (metagaming) or not doing an action you can perform in-game if your character doesn't have the background to understand that action (powergaming)

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: To provide direction to the RP, to prevent the station from falling into absolute chaos, and to help other players have fun. It is also important to keep the crew organized, and help the other players feel as if they are genuinely part of a dystopian sci-fi monopoly corporation such as NanoTransen.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: To avoid being a twat, to help them understand game mechanics they're having trouble with, and to be a welcoming member of the community toward new players. It is also important to help them understand the whitelist process should they show interest in it. I strive to uphold these responsibilities by fulfilling all of them.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Beatrix Von Bohlen

Character age: 38

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): Beatrix entered Military Police Basic Officer's Course at age 19, completing the nine week program without incident and going on to become a Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps and a Military Police officer. After several years of uneventful work, a massive riot in the military prison she was guarding at the time left many MPs dead or hospitalized occurred. Beatrix was able to survive the initial riot, and joined the reinforcements that pushed into the prison and pacified the situation. After receiving a favorable write-up for this from the CMP (Chief Military Police) of the facility, she decided to pursue a degree in Criminal Justice. It was only a few more years after receiving that degree before she was promoted and became the CMP of a guided missile destroyer. Her service there was about as uneventful as being the CMP of a DDG can get, and she retired after getting bored. It didn't take her very long to get bored with retirement too, though, and now she's working the private sector as a Security Officer.

What do you like about this character?: She's a hardass, but she knows when to let something slide. She's not going to lock up the CMO for trespassing because they ran into Security through an open door to report an axe murderer in Cryo. She's not the type of person to threaten to shoot someone on Delta security just because she can, but she's also not the type of person to avoid threatening to shoot someone on Delta if it 's necessary just so others won't think badly of her.

What do you dislike about this character?: She's kind of a dick, her ego is fragile, and she drops arguments immediately when a superior tells her to. At times, this can lead to her attempting to proceed with patently absurd orders in an effort to avoid being fired and underline the stupidity of her superior by allowing their plan to fall apart. She often ends up in a position where a crew member is going on about how stupid something is, and she agrees, but she has to tell them to knock it off and play defense for a poorly thought out plan.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: She has served as an MP with the Marine Corps for more than ten years, and as a CMP for eight. She knows how to talk to heavily armed maniacs with egos the size of Jupiter and convince them to go to the brig peacefully. She also knows that sometimes, the minimum sentence is the best sentence, because stuffing the brig full of important staff members is a great way to turn the ship into a flaming ball of plasma.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: Eight out of ten. I can not always behave exactly as my character would due to the rules of whatever server I may be playing on. The USCM server, for example, has asked me not to shoot the Commander for ordering his entire command staff to go down to the planet unarmed and be massacred as punishment for his own mistakes. There is a formal mutiny process you are supposed to follow, and my character would have foregone that process and dealt with the Provost Marshal after the fact, because saving the lives of multiple high ranking officers would have been impossible given how long that process took. I agreed to follow the process in the future, did not receive discpilinary action, and still play on the server as the CMP usually at least once a day, but if I were role-playing with 100% accuracy to my character, I would have shot the CO at least one other time I can think of.

Extra notes: I am not going to power/meta game just because my character has a military background. Every server asks me about this, because apparently they've all dealt with it at some point.

Edited by Guest

You'll have to forgive me, I have no idea who you play, and I have never seen you before on the server. What characters do you main aside from Beatrix? What roles do you play aside from the selected Security Department? I'm curious, and leaning towards a neutral as opposed to a -1, as I believe you're just new.

I admit to having no idea who you are as well. I feel like that's a Byondname I wouldn't miss. Maybe you just play in the dead of night, when all the sane of us 'muricans are in bed. You say you've even been playing a few years, but not much of Aurora. I say give us some time to get to shake your hand, you might be surprised at how well this whitelist process can work.

From what I can see, they played a total of 3 rounds with cited characters. I'm not sure how familiar you are with corporate regulations and stations directives. Along with the associated mechanics and procedure it requires to be proficient in security play. A Head of Security unfamiliar with any of these aspects can easily break a round.

You'll have to forgive me, I have no idea who you play, and I have never seen you before on the server. What characters do you main aside from Beatrix? What roles do you play aside from the selected Security Department? I'm curious, and leaning towards a neutral as opposed to a -1, as I believe you're just new.

I've played as "Judith Steinberner" before, and sometimes I play as a chef. I haven't played a lot of Aurora, but I play mostly Sec on other stations.

I admit to having no idea who you are as well. I feel like that's a Byondname I wouldn't miss. Maybe you just play in the dead of night, when all the sane of us 'muricans are in bed. You say you've even been playing a few years, but not much of Aurora. I say give us some time to get to shake your hand, you might be surprised at how well this whitelist process can work.

That seems fair! I'm on pretty late, but I'm also an American, so I guess you could say I'm an insane American :3

Edited by Guest

From what I can see, they played a total of 3 rounds with cited characters. I'm not sure how familiar you are with corporate regulations and stations directives. Along with the associated mechanics and procedure it requires to be proficient in security play. A Head of Security unfamiliar with any of these aspects can easily break a round.

I am familiar with all of these! I've played Sec for ages, and used to be an Internal Affairs Agent on other servers too. I've noticed Aurora has slightly different regulations and need to brush up on them some more, but I've never run into a problem I couldn't wiki before! As for being proficient with Security, I'm not sure what you mean other than reg and directives. I'm good with a tazer and some cuffs, and I can generally solve problems without them. I can communicate with detectives and forensic analysts, can deal with lawyers and court cases if the station has those, and know how to use all of the associated equipment. I'm not very good at playing as a detective/forensic analyst though, because those two roles have never really interested me.

Also, sorry for the triple post.

can deal with lawyers and court cases if the station has those

See, you don't know the station. So I'm going to have to go hard no on this one. If you play the station, get to know the people, make a space for yourself with our code and regs, it'll work out. But you can't expect to be promoted just because you were a manager somewhere else, you dig? Fresh start here. And if you decide you don't want to play anything other than a Head of Staff, don't want to build the rapport we need here, then I'll be sorry to see you go. You see pretty chill.

can deal with lawyers and court cases if the station has those

See, you don't know the station. So I'm going to have to go hard no on this one. If you play the station, get to know the people, make a space for yourself with our code and regs, it'll work out. But you can't expect to be promoted just because you were a manager somewhere else, you dig? Fresh start here. And if you decide you don't want to play anything other than a Head of Staff, don't want to build the rapport we need here, then I'll be sorry to see you go. You see pretty chill.

Well, it's a pretty fun station. I'll stick around for a month at least and see if the process works out for me.