[Denied] CommanderXor's CCIA Application

CCIA Staff Application

Basic Information

Byond key: CommanderXor

Character names: Edward Cane, Sean Richter, Rosey Woods, Romeo Patton, O.I.U-156, Fredrik Winters, Ka'Akaix'Vizea C'thur

Timezone: GMT +10 / AEST

What times are you most available?: Probably the afternoons and evenings, all day on the weekend and holidays. Won't be free at all on Mondays due to parade nights.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: About three or so years.

How long have you played on Aurora?: A year and a half to two years.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you? I'm on the forums every day to check posts and the like but I rarely post unless I have something to add. The same is for the Discord. I regularly check it but I don't post on it unless needed.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Three bans, first one was for being aggressive in LOOC and was only a day ban. The second ban was a security job ban for EMPing a malf AI and accidentally hitting an IPC in the blast, was deemed collateral damage was never acceptable. The third and final ban was for being unserious in character and making stupid remarks about certain races, a two-day ban.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?: I was a moderator on the People of Gaming 1942RP, wasn't SS13 related. I was also an admin on both Shockcore Gaming's Combine Military RP and their City RP server.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?: I do not believe I have any experience that would relate to CCIA work.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?: I mainly want to join the CCIA because it seems like it would be a good first-hand experience at what working with others in a staff environment on an SS13 platform would be like. I've never been a member of any form of staff or lore writer on an SS13 server and I think that something like the CCIA would be a great starting area to work within. Another factor is the timezone issue, while staff obviously exist in these time zones there is a need for more as the recent Discord announcement stated, thus I feel as if I should help fill in the gap and apply for the position to help the Aurora community. A more personal reason for myself is to see what the CCIA is like in general, what lies behind all that paperwork and command.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: I believe that some of the main qualifications needed for a CCIA Agent would be to handle paperwork effectively. If a person does not know how to format their faxes and various other paperwork, things quickly become a mess. Another factor is their ability to write in general, if you can only write a sentence then it doesn't seem you'd be a good match. Everything must be elaborated upon, it helps prevent details being overlooked and it's generally more informative compared to single sentence/word replies. The ability to remain impartial in investigations both ICly and OOCly is another factor that must be considered since CCIA Agents are expected to remain unbiased in their investigations and interviews to maintain the most accurate outcomes.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?: The role of the CCIA Agent in ongoing rounds can best be described as a backburning role that should not play a majorly active part in it. They're there to answer faxes sent by the station, and to send the standard reminders on the various station activities such as the captain's authority and the Vaurca phoron need reminders. Another thing that CCIA Agents do during ongoing rounds is dock with the station and pull aside certain individuals back to Odin for interviews in regards to various Incident Reports. Sometimes they are called upon for gimmicks on the server but rarely does that occur and thus they play a more passive role in the various day to day rounds.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?: The role of a CCIA Agent off the server lies typically on the Discord server and the forums. They are there to help sort through the Incident Reports lodged on the forums. They also have to alert people on the Discord, BYOND Pager or whatever other methods that they have been called forth in an Incident Report and thus need to arrange for an interview on the server. They also type up various reports on the Incident Reports they have handled and sometimes work with others to help run lore events or gimmicks if requested. Thus their workload is a large variety of things but mostly once again relates back to Incident Reports and handling IC issues when requested.

How do you handle stress?: When it comes to stress, if I do become stressed typically I take a minute to lean back and reflect, normally I'll put on some music to calm myself down. I might get up and go grab a drink or snack to help calm myself. Sometimes, I'll typically just open a webpage for a bit and do some reading or watch a short video to help calm the nerves. I typically don't talk to others about it unless it's a major thing causing the stress, which typically boils down to real-life situations. Otherwise, a quick drink and video helps handle the stress quite easily.

How well do you work autonomously?: A lot of the moderator and admin work I've done in the past has been based on Garry's Mod servers, which typically involve one-on-one sits and handling the issue on the spot. Thus I'm fairly used to working alone/without a lot of people around. I also tend to succeed better at solo-projects than I do with group projects, this helps improve my ability to work alone even more. Overall I think I work quite well alone in general.

Additional Notes: I'd like to just note that I may have a small history of bans, my last incident was in 2017 and so far I haven't run in to any issues/notes/warnings/bans since then, thus attempting to keep my record clean if there are any doubts on my application/abilities with the ban history.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Three bans, first one was for being aggressive in LOOC and was only a day ban. The second ban was a security job ban for EMPing a malf AI and accidentally hitting an IPC in the blast, was deemed collateral damage was never acceptable. The third and final ban was for being unserious in character and making stupid remarks about certain races, a two-day ban.

• Reason: Continued agression in OOC channels, despite being spoken to by staff on the matter less than a week ago. Take a day to cool off, if you have legitimate complaints about a character or player take it to the forums, not OOC. - This will be removed in 1440 minutes.

• Banned from Warden, Detective, Security Officer, Security Cadet - Ramboed into a malfunctioning AI's upload+core room, failing to obey orders from two heads of staff on cleanly taking out the murderous robot. Instead, primed an EMP grenade in the presence of the IPC chief engineer and got them killed. Collateral damage is never acceptable as security.

• Reason: AI siphoned his department, he goes out and screams, quote, (Sean Richter (follow) exclaims, "I BLAME THE JEWS!"). Been spoken to before about this breaking roleplay sense and being entirely outlandish and inappropriate even for IC. This is a heavy roleplay server. Take roleplay seriously and please stop injecting Nazi memes wherever you go. - This will be removed in 2880 minutes.

These are your bans. I feel it's also necessary to add the fact you have a total of 41 staff entries, now if I removed ones that aren't bad, the count drops to 39, which is still an extreme amount. It's also necessary to include the fact that I had to strip your command whitelist, which prompted a complaint against me, which I'll include a quote of what you said when things didn't go your way.

It's clear this isn't going to go anywhere but staff constantly trying to defend their actions to the last and Garn coming along and closing this. I stand by my points that this entire issue was a justified situation, but I take it Abosh isn't going to care about anything besides Richter's speech because god forbid someone say something that may hurt someone's feelings in character.

I don't really where you went with this, this just gives me vibes of mentality that a person cannot accept being wrong. When facts were pointed, you claimed that staff were doing something wrong by defending their actions. Not to mention going on about how I don't care. Now, I'm not saying this from a personal basis, but rather how this displays certain qualities that you have. You're stubborn, and not in the good way, since you can't seem to accept being wrong. This is further reinforced by the fact you disappear every time you find something to go on an outrage over. The fact it's been a while since your last entry is mostly due to the fact you say you quit, disappear for a long while and then come back.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?: I believe that some of the main qualifications needed for a CCIA Agent would be to handle paperwork effectively. If a person does not know how to format their faxes and various other paperwork, things quickly become a mess. Another factor is their ability to write in general, if you can only write a sentence then it doesn't seem you'd be a good match. Everything must be elaborated upon, it helps prevent details being overlooked and it's generally more informative compared to single sentence/word replies. The ability to remain impartial in investigations both ICly and OOCly is another factor that must be considered since CCIA Agents are expected to remain unbiased in their investigations and interviews to maintain the most accurate outcomes.

I bring the bolded part to question, due to your outbursts. As a Head Administrators, I cannot trust you to be impartial as you take things personal so often. Your outbursts happen often to the point that it has become normal to community members that have been here since you've started. So I cannot fully trust you with the capability of being impartial.

How do you handle stress?: When it comes to stress, if I do become stressed typically I take a minute to lean back and reflect, normally I'll put on some music to calm myself down. I might get up and go grab a drink or snack to help calm myself. Sometimes, I'll typically just open a webpage for a bit and do some reading or watch a short video to help calm the nerves. I typically don't talk to others about it unless it's a major thing causing the stress, which typically boils down to real-life situations. Otherwise, a quick drink and video helps handle the stress quite easily.

If this is the case, I've simply not seen it. Perhaps you are usually like this, but there have been too many outbursts where you quit the community for you to return, not to mention aggressive/hostile attitude to others.

Additional Notes: I'd like to just note that I may have a small history of bans, my last incident was in 2017 and so far I haven't run in to any issues/notes/warnings/bans since then, thus attempting to keep my record clean if there are any doubts on my application/abilities with the ban history.

Again, while it has been a long time, you've only recently returned, so it is not a very strong basis on how clear your record has been, considering the volume you've already attained.

My verdict, is that I cannot support this application as a Head Administrator.

These are your bans. I feel it's also necessary to add the fact you have a total of 41 staff entries, now if I removed ones that aren't bad, the count drops to 39, which is still an extreme amount. It's also necessary to include the fact that I had to strip your command whitelist, which prompted a complaint against me, which I'll include a quote of what you said when things didn't go your way.

It's clear this isn't going to go anywhere but staff constantly trying to defend their actions to the last and Garn coming along and closing this. I stand by my points that this entire issue was a justified situation, but I take it Abosh isn't going to care about anything besides Richter's speech because god forbid someone say something that may hurt someone's feelings in character.

I don't really where you went with this, this just gives me vibes of mentality that a person cannot accept being wrong. When facts were pointed, you claimed that staff were doing something wrong by defending their actions. Not to mention going on about how I don't care. Now, I'm not saying this from a personal basis, but rather how this displays certain qualities that you have. You're stubborn, and not in the good way, since you can't seem to accept being wrong. This is further reinforced by the fact you disappear every time you find something to go on an outrage over. The fact it's been a while since your last entry is mostly due to the fact you say you quit, disappear for a long while and then come back.

I can understand where you're coming from with that. My ban history isn't that clean compared to other people and I do have a large number of staff entries, but I didn't mention the staff entries since the application asks for bans and doesn't mention staff notes. It may seem like I'm stubborn given that history and previous things on the forums but I've cut back on that after having had a good look over everything when I came back. I came back around February, maybe earlier? That still has given me a good few months without any staff-notes or anything of the sort. To address the last entry part, I did state in my application that I rarely post on the forums unless I want/need to give input, hence why I don't have much of a active post history.

I bring the bolded part to question, due to your outbursts. As a Head Administrators, I cannot trust you to be impartial as you take things personal so often. Your outbursts happen often to the point that it has become normal to community members that have been here since you've started. So I cannot fully trust you with the capability of being impartial.

Fair point, but I have been attempting to improve upon anything like that and remained neutral in my interactions when I played Head of Security/Captain/Chief Medical Officer. It may not seem like it at a glance but I can easily swap to a 'work-mode' and remain unbiased, neutral and generally level-headed. I often did it while I played as my captain and Chief Medical Officer, barring that one incident of course that you mentioned earlier where the withdrawal of the whitelist made me bring it to the forums where I didn't put my words in play too well.

My verdict, is that I cannot support this application as a Head Administrator.

Fair enough. I'll leave it open anyway until someone either puts it on trial or denies it. Thanks for the feedback though. Might be able to apply again on the next intake after I get some more time under the belt without any incidents. Cheers again.

Thanks for your interest in the team and for submitting your application. However, after consideration I've decided to deny it.

My primary concern with you is the way you've handled disagreements or complaints with other community members and staff in the past. I think that you've shown you don't always stay level-headed when things don't go your way. The handful of times you've abruptly "quit" the community due to a conflict or disagreement is neither representative of ideal staff conduct, nor a possibility I would like to have to plan around as someone organizing a team. You also have a considerable disciplinary record, and while that isn't disqualifying, I don't believe you've been back long enough to demonstrate that you've improved on the things called out in it.

While the past doesn't necessarily define who you are going forward here, I think it would be best for you to spend some more time as an active player to demonstrate that you've changed since then, and that you're capable of being objective with players, respectful with staff, and emotionally detached from conflicts. Volunteering on this team will often put you into some sort of conflict with someone, and handling that appropriately and fairly is an essential part of what we do.

I'll be locking this thread and archiving it shortly, but feel free to DM me with any questions.