[Accepted] Goret's Moderator App

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: TheGoret

Character Name(s): I am mostly playing Katheryn Linerbord, Omega, and sometimes Ashley Dublins or Sarah Desnoyers.

AI Name(s): Guardian

Discord username + tag: Goret#1468

Timezone: CET

When are you on Aurora?: Almost everyday.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: I have been playing SS13 for almost 3 years, now. I have mostly played my first two years on a French server.

How long have you played on Aurora: I have played for the first time on Aurora around October, if I remember well. Since then, I am playing a lot on the server.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I have a good knowledge of baystation mechanics, as the previous server I played on was on this one.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: I never moderated on a SS13 server before.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: I did, and I think so.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Never.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I’m a huge fan of Roleplay, since I have done that a lot on Garry’s Mod. Plus, the 2D appearance doesn’t really keep me away from it, since I think its what make the charm of the game.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I play on Aurora because I like the community. I have met really good people, made really good friends. The staff team is great and the lore is decent.

What do moderators do?: A moderator will mostly handle the problems that the players will encounter during their rounds, and keep them on the good side of the line if they are breaking the rules, or about to.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: I sort of answered to the question in the previous one, I guess. But lets go again. Their roles from my point of view is to uphold the server’s rules and guide people to not break them. They also help new players to get familiar with the server.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: Its really simple, to be honest. I want to help people, more than I can do by staying as a simple player. Also, some people have been “pushing” me to do it, so there I am.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I think I am patient enough for the role, and I am friendly with people. Also, if needed, I know to listen to feedback that I can receive.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Stress has never been a real problem for me. From what I remember from my past, I’m a very chill person. About anger and insults, well. I am the kind of people that will stay calm whatever could happen. So yeah, if someone really tried to insult me, I will stay chill.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Even if I’m probably known for a joking person, I know when to stop and stay serious. Also, if you see some spelling mistakes, please keep in mind that English is not my native language. Thank you for reading. <3

I don't have much to say about Goret's moderator capabilities, but I do have to say that I've had strictly nothing but positive experiences with them. In-character they always bring well-rounded and communicative characters to the table with an attitude that promotes the gimmicks of others. Out of character they're consistently friendly and level headed, and I don't think I've ever seen anything such as irritability or aggression. My only concerns are that there seems to be a lack of prior experience with moderation, or did you moderate on G-Mod servers? The answer about moderation experience only says that you haven't with SS13 but other experiences could help shed light on your skills.

I don't have much to say about Goret's moderator capabilities, but I do have to say that I've had strictly nothing but positive experiences with them. In-character they always bring well-rounded and communicative characters to the table with an attitude that promotes the gimmicks of others. Out of character they're consistently friendly and level headed, and I don't think I've ever seen anything such as irritability or aggression. My only concerns are that there seems to be a lack of prior experience with moderation, or did you moderate on G-Mod servers? The answer about moderation experience only says that you haven't with SS13 but other experiences could help shed light on your skills.

Hello! Firstly, thank you for your post.

I should have mentionned it, but yes, I have already moderated on a few G-Mod servers. Most of them was under the Clockwork roleplay framework, if you know the name. I have only 0 experience in moderating on SS13. But everyone need to start somewhere, eh? ;)

[mention]Goret[/mention], I've got some feedback I'd like you address.

First off:

Goret Today at 11:28

I make a last attempt of PM by saying that they will be taken off the server if their attempt is to not play. On the other side, I will ask the admin online what could be necessary in this kind of situation. The player didn't attempted to minge, and was just walking around with a weird name

Without responding to my PMs, of course

House_Of_Synth Today at 11:29

A mod chimes in and says a ban would be placed on them at this point.

Goret Today at 11:29

Perma mod?

House_Of_Synth Today at 11:29

The ban length is up to you

Goret Today at 11:31

If the player is still not responding, well I listen to what the mod said and apply a few days ban. Perhaps they will connect again, and see the big red message with the rules link and maybe read them this time.

Mods, and to slightly a lesser extend trial mods on Aurora are granted a lot more power than may be available on some other servers. Moderators operate autonomously for the most part, and while we do absolutely work as a tightly-knitted team, an issue such as this one can definitely be handled alone.

Secondly:

House_Of_Synth Today at 11:41

They state they were told to HuT the player by the HoS, who is now in cryo. None of security, nor the player are antagonists.

Goret Today at 11:42

Uuurgh. I check the combat logs to see if the player in the brig is involved in one of them.

House_Of_Synth Today at 11:43

The only logs present are those produced by the officer stun cuffing them.

Goret Today at 11:43

If I see nothing wrong, well I will just tell the player that its a IC situation, and advise them to make an Incident Report on the forum about the officers.

There are ways you could have, and should have have pried more here. For instance, asking the Officer in question exactly what the orders he received were, and gathering witness statements from other Security players.

These are things that generally do end up being drilled over time, but we do appreciate a good level of judgement going in as you are essentially sent to hit the ground running. Is there any way you would modify these answers?

I just wanted to have the point of view of someone else, since I never really dealt with a situation like that. Its generally better to have an external view on something.

Alone, I would of course have acted autonomously, just wanted to check in as said before.

As for the second point, well I could have got more in deep about it, my apologies. I'm not really good with situation scenarios.

I thought that the Head of Security and the officer were the only one in the Security Departement during the situation, I should have asked more details.

Yes, I could have asked to the other officers if they know why the HoS gave an order like this. I could have checked on BYOND/Discord if they are online and ask them details about that, too.

• 1 month later...