[Declined] Muncorn's Antag Lore Developer Application

Ckey/BYOND Username: themuncorn/Muncorn - Honestly don't remember somehow

Position Being Applied For (Species Maintainer, Wiki Maintainer, Lore Developer, Deputy Lore developer): Lore Developer

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I've had extensive experience with the loreteam, previously as a (fairly bad) synthetic lore developer, and currently as being in charge of lore canonization applications. Through my additional position as a moderator I know full well the purpose and impact of antagonists as a whole, and the effects good lore can do to help people play better antagonists.

I'm far too well versed in mythos and general historical lore, which lends very well for vampires and wizards, and quite possibly cultists. If you want someone to testify that ask anyone that's been in my recent dnd, they get lore dumped on them way too much.

Examples of Past Work: My current lore canonization app: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=9153

A work in-progress Skrellian police system: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rjDGC0bkV9Aqut_RmQSEPgFutM8fF-BXTbuimcEChk/edit?usp=sharing

And additional a host of other lore, mostly synth based. I'm perfectly happy for somebody to test my knowledge/ideas for lore concerning various antagonists.

Additional Comments: My function in this role for the most part will not be to create steadfast, one hundred percent you must use this lore for antagonists. That'd go against player choice and freedom by constricting them. Restrictions for a job make sense, but who am I to forcefully change the backstory of someones wizard to fit my own ideas? Instead, I'll make lore as a suggestions for players which can be found present on the wiki, and possibly the forums if I can find a sensible place for it.

And if anyone remembers how much I hate cult and thinks it'll impact my work, they're probably a little bit right. I'm hopefully able to put it aside, however.

• 4 weeks later...

You poor doomed soul.

I have been in your shoes. It sounds nice as an idea, but functionally you're writing fanfiction for a player demographic that exists entirely as self-made fanfiction. You'll try to lay groundwork for people to work with and they will ignore it entirely or the staff team will shut you down. I give you my personal advice to bail on this before it does to you what it did to me.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

I didn't just forget about this application. I was letting it ferment like a fine wine. Your application is for an extremely unusual position with no precedence. There have not really been any compelling arguments to open this position up to someone.

Antagonist lore going into depth would defeat two major themes. One of which being the freeform nature of antagonists. This is both by design and by the fact admins have reacted with hostility in producing a coherent narrative for antagonists. Let not a player be restricted from gimmicks.

The second is mystery. The Cult has a 'prologue' section on their guide but that is it. The Syndicate is a mysterious organization. Having these groups spelled out and giving us all the OOC knowledge of their working would make them incredibly boring. Secret societies are only fascinating when they are secret. If we know everything about your agency then it's pretty boring but the second you put a padlock on your filing cabinets we have conspiracy theorists clawing at the doors demanding to see what's inside.

Application declined.