[Declined] Doc's Human Lore Deputy Application

Ckey/BYOND Username: TheDocOct

Position Being Applied For: Deputy human lore developer

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I enjoy writing and have written several articles of lore for previous communities I've been involved in, that of which I've been able to save is included below. I have also written campaigns for role-playing games similar to DnD reaching several months each.

Examples of Past Work: Lore writing for a private sci-fi roleplaying server run by friends (written about four years ago, now) found here; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e7tWiB21ZEpEvLcEXEzkFUH_WHcIGy9gLO2frx4ZdkY/edit?usp=sharing

Additional Comments: I'm very eager to be able to work more closely with lore; I like working with developing settings and being able to just talk about the concepts of what could and might be, especially when it is a subject I have always had a vested interest in such as the lore's corporations and our immediate setting, the Republic of Biesel and NanoTrasen. I like to ask questions about content and for clarification, which I think to be a good thing in the development of new lore in that the more fleshed out a piece is before publicizing, the better.

I think that, recently, lore has taken a good turn toward involving players with character-affecting situations such as the Mendell City phoron incident, and the new development of slice-of-life news. However, these have been few in the past six or so months I have been dedicated to the server and I'd be happy to put effort into the development of more substance that can be more readily absorbed by the playerbase's character, such as the potential writing of articles or the development of more casual topics to populate the lore side of the wiki with.

I want to support this application and especially as a deputy partner to myself if we both get approved. We essentially applied together.

Doc and I seem to have the same mindset, gripes and likes. We discuss lore somewhat actively as well especially lore progressions. So I feel they'd be a perfect partner with me or even a standalone without me.

I'd also like to see Doc on the team - she's thoughtful, inclusive and well-reasoned, and wants to pay attention to some less-exciting but important parts of the setting that I think are easy for devs to ignore when there's a story in their heads already. I think she'd do very well helping flesh out some of the older lore that desperately needs a consistency and quality pass.

Some questions, please answer them as best as you can:

I'll be expecting regular weekly lore developments and weekly team meetings (likely voiced) via discord. Is this alright with you?

Let's say on your first day on the job I give you free reign to alter any human or corporate lore as you see fit. What would you focus on, change and why?

Let's say you there was an aspect of the lore which you really loved and Jackboot and I wished to remove it or alter it beyond a point that you would accept. After you give us your heartfelt plea we still proceed to remove or alter in a manner that appears unfair to you. How would you react to this and why?

You're working on an aspect of lore development when you unknowingly overstep and alter another species lore. The species lore dev confronts you on discord and begins to aggressively reprimand you beyond your idea of fairness and respect (they're being far too aggressive). Unfortunately I'm not online to offer support, what do you do and why?

I task you and another deputy with an area of lore development, during which you and the other deputy enter a heated debate. Your colleague decides to overrule you and in essence spark an edit war on the wiki and a minor flame war across public lore chat. Jackboot and I are unreachable for whatever reason. How do you deal with this and why?

Whilst a deputy a player you quite like and consider a friend beings to PM you with ideas for lore changes, some of which appear to favour his characters and player friends. What do you do and why?

A player begins to openly and aggressively mock a member of the lore team on public discord channels. They are not being constructive. What do you do and why?

I'll be expecting regular weekly lore developments and weekly team meetings (likely voiced) via discord. Is this alright with you?

I'm almost always available to communicate via text on Discord, thanks to nearly always having my mobile on me, however voice chat may be a larger issue, particularly on a weekly basis, depending on scheduling. Weekends would be the most likely availability, and even then what parts of the weekend I'm free is a very nebulous situation. I can certainly do my best to organize ahead, however, if there is a set schedule for these meetings.

Let's say on your first day on the job I give you free reign to alter any human or corporate lore as you see fit. What would you focus on, change and why?

I would focus mostly on the clarification and expansion of NanoTrasen corporate lore, particularly some of the more day-to-day factors of it, such as the Odin and how it functions compared to that of a government-run city, more detail on the overall corporate operation of the company such as the oddly sparse amount of structure above the individual station, and the standard services of life that NanoTrasen has enveloped as they became landlord, mayor, and governor of civilians, such as civilian emergency services, utility services, and quality of life differences under NanoTrasen residences- simple, but important details of life spent living under your own employer's roof.

Let's say you there was an aspect of the lore which you really loved and Jackboot and I wished to remove it or alter it beyond a point that you would accept. After you give us your heartfelt plea we still proceed to remove or alter in a manner that appears unfair to you. How would you react to this and why?

At this point, I've had my say and that's about it. I don't have to personally be happy with it or believe it is the correct direction to go, but in the end I am the deputy, not the developer, and not the head developer, and so that decision is not mine to make regardless of how strongly I might feel about it personally. If it were something incredibly unwarranted that I don't believe is an issue of my taste alone, such as the recanonization of clowns and mimes being standard on all NanoTrasen installations, it might warrant staff complaint, but I don't see that happening.

You're working on an aspect of lore development when you unknowingly overstep and alter another species lore. The species lore dev confronts you on discord and begins to aggressively reprimand you beyond your idea of fairness and respect (they're being far too aggressive). Unfortunately I'm not online to offer support, what do you do and why?

If you're not online, then the next step in the chain would be Jackboot, and then Skull. Assuming this is happening in official channels it would be relatively easy to point out, and if it were in private messages, I could present evidence to the supervisor in question. Either way, if it were happening to such an extent that I found it aggressive and disrespectful, I'd be directing the higher-ups to it. If no-one is immediately available, I'm patient enough to wait for someone to come online- I'm not particularly interested in making the situation any worse than it already is.

I task you and another deputy with an area of lore development, during which you and the other deputy enter a heated debate. Your colleague decides to overrule you and in essence spark an edit war on the wiki and a minor flame war across public lore chat. Jackboot and I are unreachable for whatever reason. How do you deal with this and why?

Much like the last question, if it got to such a point that there is open fighting, there's not much for me to do on my part that I likely haven't already tried. At this point it would be best to try and de-escalate the situation as best I can, likely leaving them to keep their edits that they want (and directing someone to the wiki edit logs if necessary), and to wait for someone to come online to actually make a decision rather than to try and fight over the results each of us want.

Whilst a deputy a player you quite like and consider a friend beings to PM you with ideas for lore changes, some of which appear to favour his characters and player friends. What do you do and why?

I'd explain this fact to them as I saw it, and try to suggest alternatives to their suggestion that might carry the spirit of suggestion without any of the questionable bits of personal favoritism, if possible. If not, I'd unfortunately just have to inform them that that suggestion wouldn't be able to be added because of the narrow focus on their own characters, and that they should probably focus on a broader topic that might cover their intended subject but not solely benefit them.

A player begins to openly and aggressively mock a member of the lore team on public discord channels. They are not being constructive. What do you do and why?

As a lore deputy- not my lane. If it's rulebreaking-ly bad, as the question seems to imply, I would proceed to alert administrative staff. Given, though, that I am said staff, I would point it out to another present but unrelated staff member if possible, and if not, handle it with a "tone it down" verbal warning and summary strike if they failed to do so, as having this continue to go on in a public scene just because I happen to be the subject is not as much of an option as in past questions.

As mentioned in the linked post here, https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10114&p=90829#p90829, [mention]Sharp[/mention] and I spent the better part of 3 hours working on a redesign of the Sol Alliance's military pages, trimming redundant or incorrect information and focusing on the unique and/or notable aspects of the topic. The redesign can be found included in a spoiler in the linked post.

I like it. Me and Sharp had a brief discussion on the Discord over the Sol Alliance's military pages, and you won't find someone more interested in those pages than me. And aside from that, Doc's been here a good long while, and all it takes is to have some good ideas to swing my vote. I'll give a nod to this, Zundy's got some good picks ahead of him.

I was told to tear into this, yada, yada Resident Assholeâ„¢ back in action.

First doc you share a quality and a negative with me, you're feisty.

You can be very agressive about your viewpoint honestly to the point of hostillity to others where you just start peppering them with question of "Why this? Why that? Who? Whom?"

Yet I know you have one feature that I don't have and that is you actually back down when evidence and logic are presented which is admirable and while you never admit you were wrong it's clear you decide that maybe this wasn't the correct move and decide to back out a bit.

Still I think you could work a bit on this attitude of a hungry shark as I like to call it, as in general lore requires people who are willing to listen even to the most stupidest ideas and give a calm explanation on why "no this cannot happen" as everyone for some reason still thinks this server is a democracy.

Continuing on, there isn't much to parade around with is there? Besides the document and hearsay we don't really know of your writing or lore developing abilities and besides a few heated debates I haven't seen you in lore chat a whole bunch.

Now I admit, we are in completely different timezones but in general your quietness with some outbursts of energy gives an illusion of you not being here often even though I know from server logs that you are indeed active.

I personaly had no idea you actually did lore-work or writing until that google document you shared.

Questions didn't give me a single fucking clue how you plan to help with lore but I'm glad you'd be a good moderator.

Anyways I support this application even though it is a bit empty for my tastes, but hey we all have to start somewhere.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello! After conferring with Zundy we are declining this application at this time. If we open more slots in the future I really hope you reapply!