[Withdrawn] Burger's Developer Application

"Even with context"

I can see where this is already going. I'm going to be entirely honest right now I'm seeing a big hoopla about nothing. While I do believe a staff member shouldn't be using those words in it's current context, it's absoultely ridiculous to say that it's a make or break thing for whether or not someone should be on discord. If you search up any derogatory, racial terms on discord you'll get 378 results of the n word with a hard r, and 1,302 results of the n word with a soft r. To me, it seemed acceptable to use these words if you're quoting something. I've never called anyone the n word, and all my uses in it where used as references or quotes. My most recent quote was actually posted once before by a mod and once before by a CIAA staff member so I assumed it was okay to make that joke again, but apparently not.

I'm ceasing all use of slurs as I am now made aware that in this discord, it offends people. And for that I'm sorry. If I saw something that actually offends you, drop me a PM, state clearly that you didn't like what I said, and I will go from there and adjust my behavior. It seems like a lot of people like going to this thread first before communicating with me, which does not help the situation.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's other people using it, then these other people should also be punished. Along with you.

As I said before, I refrain from using it, I'm perfectly find if racial slurs were banned completely with no exceptions, but it irks me that people are only getting offended now that I'm using it.

That's just absolutely ridiculous. I seriously urge [mention]Garnascus[/mention] and [mention]Sharp[/mention] to actually review these screenshots and address them from an administrative side, and to heavily urge Skull132 to deny this application (since you can't outright say no because of separation of powers or something).

The behaviour is just not OK.

It seems like a lot of people like going to this thread first before communicating with me, which does not help the situation.

Gee, I wonder why that is.

unknown.png.

It's almost like nobody can trust you to be civil because you prove time and time again how much of a toxic and inflammatory person you are.

You make actually approaching you in DMs an extremely unattractive option because of how toxic you are publicly.

I mean, in context Burger was making reference to a meme (admittedly it's not funny) and a reference to something else in the other intance (though I'm not sure what that is). Burger's fiesty but not more so then other staff members. If you want to crack down on the use of the racial slurs and their variants you've got to be careful with that can of worms, because a large number of the community and even some of the people in this thread calling for Burger to be punished for using them have themselves used them in the past. Burger seems to be contributing a considerable amount of time and effort to coding for the Aurora I believe? Seems a bit character snipey to laser focus on this?

Just going to leave this here: https://imgur.com/a/p1YCv5M

Now I'm not trying to pull an "et tu, brute" but almost all of these people who are typing up a paragraph of a storm about the use of the N word have used several racial slurs before in the past. I'm genuinely starting to believe that people are kicking up a storm for the purpose of kicking up a storm. This is further proven by the fact that people keep posting the same god damn out-of-context already-dealt-with-and-addressed-by-me-and-staff-members screenshot like it's exodia. It's the "BUT WHAT ABOUT HILLARY'S MISSING EMAILS" of my developer application. It was dealt with twice in DMs privately as discussed earlier here. This situation could've been dealt with easily but for some reason people are calling for skull, garn, and abo to investigate. Not even an "OR" investigate, an "AND" investigate like this requires 3 people to deal with. Perhaps it does given all the context behind the people complaining.

It's such a shame that admins have to actually deal with this shit over a developer application. Not even an mod application where your mannerisms mean everything, but a developer application where my only community interaction is saying "-1 we don't need this on the server" or "I think we need my addon on the server". People actually have to waste time dealing with this, actually mature people; when an actual adult has to step in and take time out of their summer break gives me immense depression, and that's where I draw the line.

So I guess this is an official "I'm rescinding my dev application" post. It doesn't seem like a position for me and it's making me waste too much time typing up paragraphs like these when I could be doing actual work. The beauty of it is that I will still be making the same amount of PRs despite the outcome. The only difference between contributor and dev that I see is varedit (which would help greatly when identifying bugs), access to additional github access, dev meetings, and potential for collaboration for bigger projects. I really only applied for collaboration and making the github approval process faster, but I realise that I could do all these things as contributor anyways. So really, all I care about is contributing to the server.

I think I lost when community when the Nanako comparisons started. I mean realistically I think any sane person would've moved onto another server after the childish community outrage. I still get random junkfood meme bullshit in OOC when I play by people who have contributed nothing to the server.

Well. To offer my feedback on the matter. I am not entirely too concerned about the original incident. But the ignoring of feedback on the why's and how's right afterwards, offered by myself and Fowl, was more worrisome. That is to say, a single slip can happen and get corrected. But ignoring feedback from the rest of the team on the matter is not necessarily smart. And would have most likely played a role in the final evaluation.

But that's that, then. Application denied, per the request of the applicant. Trial thus cancelled.

Closing and archiving.