Character/Player Complain - Captain Corvo Oaken

BYOND Key: BurgerBB

Game ID: bSL-dHJk

Player Byond Key: Unknown

Staff involved: None

Did you attempt to adminhelp the issue at the time? If so, what was the known action taken by administration/moderation? No, I complained via AOOC but it didn't seem like it was an issue to mods at the time.

Approximate Date/Time: February 4th, 2018 4:00PM

Reason for complaint:

This is a tricky one and requires a well-formulated argument to write about.

I was MALF AI, my gimmick was the station was going to be run under an Asimov lawset. It was announced via Centcom that the new AI's laws will be new and improved Asimov's laws. The Captain then proceeded to say "Hackers likely hacked the AI." arm up security in void suits, laser rifles, and ion rifles, and attempt to card me. Maybe I'm just bias. Maybe I'm just salty. Maybe I don't understand what a Captain would do in that situation, but I feel strongly that the Captain overreacted in assuming that I was a malfunctioning unit and that hackers took over my system. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the strength of centcom message, but it feels that OOCly seriousness and leaked into ICly seriousness where no one takes Centcom messages seriously anymore.

Allo, Hunnewle player of Captain Corvo Oaken here. To start, I did not take the 'siege' of an AI lightly. In Fact I had planned on informing CC (regretfully) of the loss of our AI, or rather, the damages to the AI's upload and core. It started just as they said, a CC announcement stating new and improved laws so the AI would be more efficient. The AI then stated Asimov, No longer protecting and obeying crew, rather, only humans. This caused an outrage from most non-humans on comms, I told everyone to remain calm, and that I would fix it. At the time I intended to reset the AI, then fax CC about it. Only, upon arriving at the last door(s) to the AI Upload Chamber, The AI's turrets (Still set to stun) fired on me. I assumed the AI just forgot to disable them. I ask the AI to do so, and a few minutes later (Along with more taser shots against me) The AI says it cannot control the turrets. I then tell it to just cut the power for that area so I can safely enter. They proceed to cut the lights in the AI Access/Upload area, then bolt the Upload doors shut. The AI was ignoring my commands at this time, considering my character, Corvo, is a human, and a Captain, the AI should not have any issues with complying. Once the doors bolted I started seeing red flags. I left the AI Access, with the HoP. I did not tell the AI (Atleast knowingly) that I intended to force entry to have it carded/inspected. I gathered a group of two Sec. Officers, armed them, an engineer, and a paramedic. During the time I was gathering the personel, I got reports the AI was venting the bridge, which was the last 'strike' for any sort of doubt the AI was not subverted. The group of four suited up, and I sent them in, while I went to the RD's office to lock down the borgs. The plan didn't go as smooth as I wanted as I ended up disabling one borg on the way, and another when I dropped it off at robotics. While there I borrowed the RD's RIG, they had not arrived yet, and left an 'IOU' note. Using the RIG i regrouped with the team, The rest is something that has been done time and time again, break into AI core, Card it, Reset all laws with maintenance console, put AI back into core. Unfortunately that did not work, AI was still malf even though their malf laws were scrubbed (I didn't question it though). Round ended with us evaccing and my character going blind from broken skull fragments bouncing in their noggin'. Said skull was broken by a Construction borg post-siege, when I thought all was settled. Sorry for the big wall/block of text, Not good at formatting /and/ relaying the details. As always, you got any questions leave'em here or PM me on discord under the same CKey/Name, Hunnewle.

Edit: After re-reading the original post, and mine, I noticed I forgot to touch on the 'Hackers' theory. It was only that, a theory, as I doubt Cent would do something like that (At Least, Not without warning the Captain and/or other implanted staff.) As such a move could easily spark a race-war, if not just angering the Skrells.

There was a CC message informing the crew that the AI lawset was intentionally changed to Asimov to improve productivity and CPU processing speed. Your first instinct was that the hackers got to the AI so you decided to arm security up and attempt to card the AI without ever contacting CentCom, hell as an internal affairs agent pointed out, the alert level was never raised from green.

It was straight up validhunting. The AI, at that point, harmed absolutely no one at the point except inciting a marginal panic that eventually faded. I had to give you want you wanted later in the round, destruction and action, so I just threw out any attempt to roleplay and started blowing shit up because the round was ruined by the time you broke into the AI core and tried carding me.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so, after a bit of waiting, I've made a conclusion. Firstact has talked with people involved and from the info we have gathered, we determined that there was a degree of metagaming involved on the captain's part. And from an outside point of view it really does look like the captain just shut down a gimmick the AI was trying to build up for no real reason. So, what will happen is, I will add a warning to Hunnewle for metagaming, and more punishment will happen if it happens again. I'll leave this thread open if there's any huge objections to make for a while.