[Resolved] Warning appeal - Blingx3

BYOND Key: Blingx3

Staff BYOND Key: NoahKirchner

Game ID: bSu-dAov

Reason for complaint: This is more of a discussion than a complaint against a moderator.

Let me start from the point I joined. I joined the shift an hour and half past it's starting time, as Tony Smith, I proceeded down to toxins to do what a scientists does, research. I got assigned as a ling with two others. My plan was to plant bombs around areas of the station to cause chaos to enable other lings to take advantage of the situation and help them ( hunt ) for genes and DNA. before the plan could be executed a transfer shuttle was called and I hastily executed the plan and headed up for departures to prevent people from leaving, holding a bomb and a signal, when I approached departures an officer was present and confronted me, when I held the bomb in clear sight and announced that I will blow it unless all leave the departures area. The officer stands down and screams at everyone to leave, some did while others choose to ignore his commands and the fact I was holding a bomb in the middle of departures. I didn't care for a some people to leave the station. at this moment the shuttle arrives and what ever number of people remained in the departure area boarded whole the rest stood outside the doors from the departures area. the AI then proceed to bolt the shutters leading back to the station. I was clear, I wanted everyone to step back into the station and not leave it.

The problem is in what proceeded next, which I think does not warrant the warning I received, after the AI has bolted the shutters and everyone was mainly not boarding I was satisfied and holding my ground ( I had to summon the blade, so I was holding the signaler on one hand and had the blade on the the, the bomb was in my satchel but clear as I was everyone knew I had it). A security officer then proceeds to shoot the windows leading to space thus venting the area, mind you I'm holding a highly explosive bomb and near me were ten or so people on the other side of the shutters. which in my opinion was a poor move, the crew could have returned to the station and many would've been saved, station damage avoided and the risk of antagonizing someone holding a highly explosive bomb ( that did detonate some before) setting it off avoided as well. I was pushed into a corner by security, where there so many other options to take.

Evidence/logs/etc: logs in the mentioned round

Additional remarks:

The officer I think shot the windows was Kri'aish Ro'han, if they could some feedback here I'd be thankful. if it was someone else please leave some feedback.

Alrighty so, Heres my view on it.

I was there at the time as my engineer, and was behind security at the time of the bombing.

From what myself and other staff have discussed, you waited until the end of the round to start anything, before just setting off multiple explosions and went to departures with a bomb. I do agree that Security handled this situation poorly, but waiting until the end of the round to start things really isn't a good thing to do, let alone just threatening and actually bombing departures. The whole experience didn't really add much RP to the round, it was mostly "I have a bomb, leave" and security going "lol no", there's nothing to be gained after this as the round just is going to end minutes later.

Tl;dr: Waiting until the end of the round to start bombing and killing really is no bueno, going 0-100 with very little isn't adding much to the RP of the round.

Perhaps better wording for the warning is in order, but I do not believe in removing it.

I'd also like to get [mention]NoahKirchner[/mention] and your own opinion ([mention]Blingx3[/mention]) in here as well.

From what I could tell at the time, you only started being antagonistic after the shuttle was called, or just beforehand. Starting with a bomb in the central ring and escalating with the bomb situation in departures. With proper buildup, I'm sure this would've been fine, but from what I can tell there was no justifiable reason beyond your antag status to hold up departures in such a way, at least not one made clear. Departures bombing in general is very sensitive, mainly because it's an area that is both required for round progression (Getting back to centcom), and tends to have a very high population density because of it, resulting in an incredible amount of casualties when bombed.

While this is occasionally acceptable for antag gimmicks, I didn't feel like there was enough justification to bomb departures at the time, since it really did just seem to come out of the blue. Antags exist to drive a narrative, to provide the conflict and context for people to make decisions that result in good storytelling. There aren't many things that can come of keeping people off of the shuttle as someone who had, up to that point, not made any threats against the station. That said, security handled this situation pretty poorly if they weren't trying to get themselves blown up.

That's all I've got to add unless you'd like my investigative process or anything [mention]ToasterStrudel[/mention] Apologies for responding to this so late, it didn't show up in my notifications or, if it did, I didn't register what it was.

I was the Captain at the time, and I ordered Security to vent departures on you.

My idea was that depressurizing the room would cause you to fly out and/or drop your button, at which point security could engage you more safely. The crew in the area outright refused to move away from the area - in normal fashion they REFUSE to not board a transfer and were just waiting to get by you.

Obviously the plan did not work, you did not get knocked over (at least to the extent I hoped), and you were able to detonate your explosive.

That's my info on this from sec/command POV.