Staff Complaint - Queen of Yugoslavia

BYOND Key: IAmCrystalClear

Staff BYOND Key: QueenOfYugoslavia

Game ID: bWN-dhX7

Reason for complaint: Invalid warning

Evidence/logs/etc: https://gyazo.com/bfb14009ec9b39e8c23d4ddcff0d2fc6 (these are the only "logs" i have. I closed byond with no intention to open it for a long while)

Additional remarks: This round was infuriating. After joining and being told there was a hostile dionae capable of teleporting. I suggested using a chemical capable of killing it, as I knew laser guns would be nearly useless. I told the team I'd get some, went to chemistry, and asked for some. They were cool with it, if I got the RD's approval. I didn't, fair enough.

Now, the dionae had stabbed an officer, and was actively avoiding security. It would next steal a laser carbine, and then the captain's laser, and continue to avoid security. I was told it was repeatedly using a player as a beacon, and told that character to remain still whilst i used Plant-b-gone to attempt to cripple the teleporting wizard. I did so, it didn't help. Now, the wizard would teleport near me, and open fire upon me several times, aiming for the head, and making me pass out in crit. They also shot several people around me too.

The RD continued to refuse me the chemical, and I continued to ask, getting more and more desperate to take down the person who'd nearly killed me. Initially this was a backup plan in case negotiations went south. Negotiations had now gone south, and we needed it. With security tied up attempting to lock down the dionae to zero success, I took it upon myself to secure a real weapon whilst the rest of the team distracted the hostile.

Now, the hostile had breached the core, and subverted the AI, leading to another near-death of a third officer when a borg opened fire upon them.

I continued to attempt to obtain the drug to no success, and decided to call an ERT. Shuttle was now called, but I was in the Captain's office, with the Captain's spare.

Understand that I was continuously being hailed by the mod in question, and repeatedly explaining my actions, explaining how it wasn't validhunting. At the end of the round, I recieve a final hail, and after a lengthy discussion, I was given a warning, for validhunting which told me to do the following things: reread the CSI guide, and retire my character to a cadet or assistant role. I personally disagree with this warning for obvious reasons. I even explained how the logic of "get an ion, the IPC is trying to kill people!" and "get a lasergun, the human is trying to kill people!" is not validhunting, but "get the plant-spray, the plant is trying to kill people!" is. In my head, that's the logic there. Command was working against me that round for logical, IC reasons, and I reacted with logical, IC reactions.

This round has caused me to lose faith in aurora, as I've received many warnings for "improper escalation" doing the exact things that others appear to get away with scotch free. I'm taking a break.

[mention]EngineersDream[/mention][mention]Yonnimer[/mention] Were involved in the decision to make a verdict aswell. You admitted you were rushing into aid security as FT is boring and you asked why do we have FT if you cant get involved in combat. [mention]Fairness and Honor[/mention] ahelped multiple times and Enginer talked to you aswell before in that round about validhunting/powergaming. It was ethier a warning or a Sec ban and I along with Dream opted to warn you instead of ban you from sec, as you have a history of this behavior

I admitted that FT is irrelevant in 90% of rounds and that I try to involve myself by playing a backline support. I still do not believe this warning was required when people can get away with rushing the teleporting ninja with an ion gun to shut them down. I never said that I wanted to be involved in combat, I said I want to have an impact on the round as security without playing an ungabunga security officer. Frankly, if you're going to tell me to demote my most developed character out of her /entire/ gimmick, then you may as well ban me from the role and force my hand.

Once again, an officer would never be scrutinised for taking a laser rifle to kill a teleporting human that has committed several instances for grievous bodily harm, yet I, as an FT, whilst the entire security team was busy trying to assist in protecting the crew, am told I should of been job banned for attempting to get my hands on the equivalent of a laser rifle to use on a teleporting dionae that has committed several accounts of grievous bodily harm with the intent to give it to an officer.

Maybe that explanation makes more sense?

Okay, so here's my stance on this:

A forensics technician is not an officer. Neither in game nor in real life. They are people who collect evidence and process the data they have gathered through various methods.

This means that as an FT your job is very distinctly NOT to go after anybody. I understand that you're trying to make an impact in security, but the way you were doing it is simply not your job. If that bothers you, you should consider playing an officer and not going full "unga bunga", as you said. Point is: The FT is not a support officer or anything like that.

Hi, sorry about how long this has taken, busy few days. Let's get right into it.

So I've been over the logs for the round, as well as having taken into account the bits posted here. My main interest was in the ahelps, and the circumstances surrounding what went off.

[mention]IAmCrystalClear[/mention], short story, I'll be upholding the decision made here. A lot of your concerns were with the forensic technicians being unable to do much during a round versus antagonist actions. It appears to me that you're looking for a very different experience to what this role generally entails. Your insistence in the round to not only hunt for the antagonist, but also go against command decisions (which as you pointed out multiple times in the round, was an IC issue) appears to me as a very blatant attempt at validhunting.

Once again, an officer would never be scrutinised for taking a laser rifle to kill a teleporting human that has committed several instances for grievous bodily harm, yet I, as an FT, whilst the entire security team was busy trying to assist in protecting the crew, am told I should of been job banned for attempting to get my hands on the equivalent of a laser rifle to use on a teleporting dionae that has committed several accounts of grievous bodily harm with the intent to give it to an officer.

I want to pay special attention to this paragraph, actually. The idea of collecting the chemicals to give to a security officer is a good move and makes sense. However, according to what I've found, you were attempting to carry out this plan yourself without handing the chemicals to someone who should be on the frontline. People don't scrutinise security officers for fighting against intruders because that's what they're supposed to do. If a security officer pulled out a forensic swab kit and started taking samples on the site of a crime scene, they would be talked to in much the same way as you have been here.

[mention]DRagO[/mention]'s advice that you play a cadet or officer is, I think, very sound. Clearly you are looking for a more front-line experience from security and you seem frustrated when the option isn't available as a very back-bench support job.

In summary, the warning is sound, I do not think it needs changing and can stay as-is. I consider this issue resolved, and will be leaving things open in case anyone wants to add anything. Otherwise, locking and archiving it in 24 hours.