[Resolved] Unfair Warning - DatBerry

BYOND Key: Superiorform

Staff BYOND Key: DatBerry

Game ID: (: bQX-dicD

Reason for complaint:

Before I begin, I would like to make it absolutely clear: I have no problems with DatBerry as a staff member. I think he is a great moderator. It's just that I really don't agree with his ruling on this issue.

The station is in code delta, malf AI, lings, people dying everywhere, when I hear Eric Karson shout something to the effect of "HELP IN SURGERY" over radio. I try to chase down a passing officer and tell him to go check out surgery in case he missed it, and when I do catch up, I find that he is in the medical lobby. He does not have access, so I smash down the window to let him in. I realise that he won't have access to surgery, so I follow him in to smash the door down.

Outside surgery, a robot tells us that the CMO is killing people, and opens the door. The officer enters, and engages the CMO, while I stay by the door. I watch the officer and CMO fight, and I take up a position so that if the CMO tries to run away, I can hit her with the axe. The officer runs out of ammo, and the CMO welds herself in. The officer draws his pistol, and I break the window down so the officer can enter. There is a fight, and the CMO takes down the officer.

This is where I step in, and axe the CMO, once. It gores her right hand, I step back out of the room, and then the officer steps in and kills her, just before I shout for him to stop.

I believe I was justified to axe the CMO in this situation. Throughout the fight, I had played a support role, and let the officer do the fighting, but after the CMO took the officer, down, I wasn't going to stand idly by or run away, to let the CMO murder the officer too. Karson's body was in the room the whole duration of this fight. The CMO was armed only with a needle, and I was armed with a fireaxe. It does not take much skill or bravery to swing an axe at the unarmed murderer to save the officer's life.

The warning is: Accompanying an Officer as the RD with a fireaxe, and attacking the murderer after the officer went down, with no personal stake in the issue.

I really don't think I needed personal stake in the issue to swing my axe at the unarmed man, risking my self not at all, and saving someone's life. I only stepped in after the officer was defeated.

I'll see if I have any more elaboration or arguments tomorrow, its 12:45 right now, and I need to sleep. Again, no ill will to DatBerry.

Evidence/logs/etc:

Additional remarks: [mention]DatBerry[/mention][mention]Scheveningan[/mention]

Alright I'll try to make my reply short.

I mostly take issue with this,

I take up a position so that if the CMO tries to run away, I can hit her with the axe

I am not partial to non security butting into arrests, especially when they're not trained or have any experience with combat and fights, and the officer didn't really ask for help either.

The murderer had to deal with a screaming victim and an over-equipped officer and somehow managed to beat them, I don't believe they cranked the difficulty up to have everyone in sight with a weapon target them too.

This is where I step in, and axe the CMO, once. It gores her right hand, I step back out of the room

The weapon is also another minor issue, its damage is enough to break bones or cut off limbs in one hit, no matter where you hit it's game over for the antag, as the RD I'm sure you have access to a flash, which would've been better IMO.

Though I admit I did not take into account the station being on code delta and murders happening everywhere(due to having to wrap the issue up in delayed end time) I'll discuss it with other staff but as I said I won't be the one handling this.

Okay, actually, to be honest, the taking up position thing with the axe was what I did wrong here. That wasn't the most realistic thing to do. I was only going to axe if she managed to get away from the officer, but I expected the officer to be able to take her in alive. If you want to punish for that, I'd just like the warning changed to reflect it, if it's worthy of a warning. Everything else, though, I stand by.

If I could have flashed, I would have, but she had a voidsuit helmet on.

Apparently I forgot to post that I'm handling this, but, I'll be handling this one. I had a couple of quick talks with Berry about this, and what you said here essentially mirrors what we came to:

Okay, actually, to be honest, the taking up position thing with the axe was what I did wrong here. That wasn't the most realistic thing to do. I was only going to axe if she managed to get away from the officer, but I expected the officer to be able to take her in alive. If you want to punish for that, I'd just like the warning changed to reflect it, if it's worthy of a warning. Everything else, though, I stand by.

The warning is staying, but, it has been changed to the following:

while accompanying an officer, their RD acted more robust than they should've been, blocking off a murderer's path, while they had a reason to get involved, the blocking and tactical placement was out of character

Thread will remain open for 24 hours in case there is anything left for either parties to say.