[Accepted] Science Permaban

BYOND Key: Cairo283

Total Ban Length: Perma

Banning staff member's Key: I want to say albyek or however you spell that, but I'm honestly not sure. It was some headmin.

Reason of Ban: Repeated instances of engaging with antagonists using science equipment. In this case ever an antagonist opened fire, they retreated back into their lab and returned to engage them with a lawgiver. The antagonist was firing in a different direction and towards oncoming security, they've also not attacking them prior. This is a permanent job ban from the science department.

Reason for Appeal: Right, it's been a few months, took some time off from the server, started play again as a miner a few weeks ago, and I think that I want to play my favorite job again. Gunna start by giving my side of the story, and what I saw, and know what happened.

I was chilling out next to robotics, shooting the shit with the roboticists, when some dorks in red hardsuits burst in through their maintenance door waving their guns around. Me, being a smart boy, ran the fuck out of there into R&D, to hide and try to escape into maintenance. Unfortunately for me, the door to maintenance from R&D (Picture related) https://puu.sh/z4OHp/3aa4201da5.png, can't actually be opened by science staff for *some reason*, and because for some reason I straight up didn't think of jumping out the window over the desk, and didn't know we had an AI at the time, I figured I was trapped. I then heard shooting outside, coming from robotics, and one of the roboticists said over the radio that the nukies had started randomly shooting them

Now, it's fuckin' real important to note that I did not build the lawgiver, or grenades for myself, I had built them for the detective, who I had contacted over the PDA a few minutes before, and told them to come pick them up, and just had them on me waiting for him. It's also important to note that I did not see security at all when I had emerged to help my unarmed colleagues, nor did I know they had been fighting the syndicate. When I did exit into the science hallway out of R&D, before I had even drawn my gun, the nuke op down the hall started firing at me, with the bullets narrowly missing me. I quickly returned fire, because if they're just going to be shooting unarmed civilians, and I had no way out (That I actually knew or thought of), then there's not much point in hiding, since they would eventually get to me away.

Anyway, some other stuff and such happened with a grenade, but I don't really think that's all that relevant. The point is, I was shot at, while unarmed, in my own workplace, while having a weapon on me that I had that I had no intention on using myself, by a dork in a red hardsuit who had just attacked and possibly murdered my unarmed friends, while trapped with nowhere (That I thought of) to go, with no knowledge that security was even nearby (I never saw the nukie shooting in a different direction, the moment I exited R&D he shot at me).

I'm also going to refute the point that the ban mentions that I had "repeatedly engaged antagonists with science weapons" before this. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I can have a shitty memory, but I only actually remember one instance of this happening, and that was involving a self-antaging engineer, who repeatedly stole from all departments across the station, including minerals from cargo, robotics, and even R&D, while there was one security cadet on the station, who was pretty much braindead and unable to help at all. Again, please remind me if there are any more instances of this, because I honestly can't remember any more.

TLDR; I was attacked by a dork with a machine gun and energy shield who I had heard was attacking unarmed civilians one room above me, with no way to escape the area myself (Yes I should have thought to jump the table, that was fucking dumb. My bad), with no knowledge security was even nearby, and I was shot at immediately when exiting the top of R&D, so I defended myself with a weapon that I had my circumstance, and I had not made specifically to attack the dork, and was banned from all of science for it. I truly do not see anything that I did wrong in this situation, other than the lack of thinking to jump over the table through the windoor.

You're using the appeal section, which is for.

Understand your mistake. Agree with the punishment. Want another chance? Then this is the place to be.

And you're saying.

I truly do not see anything that I did wrong in this situation, other than the lack of thinking to jump over the table through the windoor.

So right now, I don't see any benefit to actually accepting the appeal.

You're right, I really don't understand my mistake (Other than the window thing). You guys wrote that part, not me. From my point of view I've don't nothing wrong here, aside from past mistakes, and I'm inviting you to show me what I've done wrong.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a while so some of the more specific details are lost to me.

From what I recall, it boiled down to your character picking the most dangerous option out there, albeit you had a powerful weapon, you lacked in armor. The hostile, regardless if he was solely shooting security or your co-workers was heavily armed and armored. You had a plethora of options, different ways to escape, hide or even cower as to keep your characters safety and well being together. But you ran into RnD and then under your own choice, without the hostile actually chasing you, walked out and charged them. I'll cite a few examples for you.

1) Jump the window

2) Retreat further in

3) Hide in some locker

4) Blast your way to safety

5) Call for an AI to let you out of doors you have no access to

There are two ways this appeal can be resolved

1) You acknowledge your mistake with honesty, with the understand that if I remove these bans, they will be swiftly reapplied for such behavior again.

2) You don't as you still don't believe you've done anything wrong and I am in the wrong here. In this case, I will move this to the staff complaint forums for someone else to review.

Oh god damn it, I accidently hit "post reply" after typing in the bottom box, instead of submit, so I have to type this all over again. Fuck.

Alright, after thinking about it, I fucked up here. Reading your points, and agreeing with most of them, I realize that I am in the wrong here, and should have just ran out of science or actually asked if there was an AI instead of assuming there just wasn't one.

After playing the game for a decent amount of time as a miner, I've gotten my brain to stop thinking that this is /tg/ or goon, and actually think from an IC standpoint that "Hey, I probably really shouldn't fuck with the dude with a machine gun and hardsuit while I have a kinetic accelerator indoors with no armor".

I'm a silly goof, and should have handled the situation differently, and apologize for it.