Staff complaint: 7/28/2018

BYOND Key: Resilynn

Staff BYOND Key: Alberyk talked to me, but I know it was a group decision

Game ID: bVy-ab6t

Reason for complaint: I was notified today that my whitelist was revoked because of my tendency to move in and sedate people in medical, which I absolutely agree is an issue. Alb explained the issue to me, and I had a past player complaint on this. I'm not contesting the decision that this is inappropriate whitelistee behavior, but I would like to downgrade from a revoked whitelist to a warning, or even a temp job ban.

I currently have no warnings on my account about this specific behavior (I'll post that in evidence, of course). The player complaint was resolved and I was not handed a warning for sedating anyone. The last incident, that sparked the discussion of my whitelist being revoked (which I didn't know was happening), was closed after I sent the logs to Alb. He did not tell me they would be reviewing it or even that he thought my justification, in that situation, was inappropriate, my ahelp was closed without comment (I cannot provide these logs, but I am sure Alb can).

I'm more than willing to drop this behavior entirely, and I see how it's problematic. I didn't realize the issue was this severe, and I'd like to be given the chance to rectify my playstyle in this regard. So, I'm requesting that the severity of the punishment be dropped down. Obviously, I'd prefer a warning, but I understand if we need to move to something more severe.

I think other than this specific issue I have done very well with my whitelist. I've never so much as gotten a complaint with my other command characters, most notably, Ellie Shoshanna, because my actions have, very much, been an in character thing. As a note, I don't think that they are justified because they are an IC thing (I really cannot emphasize enough that I don't disagree with this being an issue).

So, in short, I don't want to lose my whitelist. I want a warning or reprimand first that allows me to work on this specific issue. I don't think I'll have any trouble dropping this behavior now that I realize the severity.

Evidence/logs/etc:

warning01.png.cc1c75bc6f24f2de086d666563601b81.png

My warnings. As you can see, absolutely nothing about the sedation issue.

warning02.png.f327e3e6501ab08910450b6a1baea10a.png

The complaint handled by garn, which in no way indicated my whitelist would be under review, in which he described my actions as 'a little more reasonable', which I had not interpreted as meaning this was a very severe offense.

Additional remarks: Edited to include the game ID that sparked this discussion.

So, I was the one that handled the case that sparked this, and I was really in doubt of the validity of the complaints in question. I got the info I was given, together with the screenshoot, and decided to get the opinion of the whitelist team. Why did I do this at the time; because as I said, there was a precedent for this to happen, and I did believe this had to do with how you play head of staff, mostly as the cmo.

The complaint in question: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11460

And your past note, related to command staf:

unknown.png

Then, I brought what happened in the round, with the botanist, and we did believe that assaulting them with sleeping toxin was really uncalled for, and taking in consideration the two past cases, we do believe that the action in question was needed. And I do not really believe it was without warning, since it is clear in the complaint that you are not really to abuse sedatives against the crew, and the note put by the trial, if this was the first time it happened, and you were whitelist stripped, that would be unfair, but I do not think it is the case.

However, this is my vision on the case, and I did not take this decision alone. Coalf and matter can also offer their opinion, and we also have one of the headmins that do overseer our decisions.

So, I was the one that handled the case that sparked this, and I was really in doubt of the validity of the complaints in question. I got the info I was given, together with the screenshoot, and decided to get the opinion of the whitelist team. Why did I do this at the time; because as I said, there was a precedent for this to happen, and I did believe this had to do with how you play head of staff, mostly as the cmo.

The complaint in question: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11460

And your past note, related to command staf:

unknown.png

Then, I brought what happened in the round, with the botanist, and we did believe that assaulting them with sleeping toxin was really uncalled for, and taking in consideration the two past cases, we do believe that the action in question was needed.

One of those notes has nothing to do with this, the other I was ordered to do by a captain and it was a direct result of a bug. In that case, I was following orders and everything I read on the wiki made it seem like it was a perfectly safe option that (I thought) would enable to antag to continue to interact with people, just keep them from moving. I don't see how either is related to the issue that my whitelist was revoked for.

This is a clarification post and is in no way a verdict. It'll detail the information I've gotten so far.

To clarify a bit about punishments. Reprimands are given based on the sum of all actions.

resilynn voltagehero 2018-04-28 04:23:11 Warning added by voltagehero, updated by flimango/coalf, for: While you are not barred from assisting antagonists given proper reasoning, it is your duty to do so in a manner conducive to prioritizing the crew and company before resorting to freeing or killing for them outright. This goes doubly so for a head of staff who is promoted on the assumption that they are loyal under duress. || Notes regarding the warning: Updated per staff complaint: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11021

resilynn shameonturtles 2018-05-01 08:28:08 Talked to about prescribing tea to patients as a CMO.

"@Resilynn dont chloral and jacket your own staff like that. Call security or something" From https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11460&p=102324#p102307 I do understand this last bit may have been specific, but I do feel the overarching point is established throughout the thread.

What I gather, that while the latest incident was the final straw so to speak, it wasn't the only thing. The next note is a bit iffy and under review in conjunction with the one that placed it.

resilynn queenofyugoslavia 2018-07-22 03:22:09 Talked to him about ODing a antag on poison to keep them from moving, Captain ordered it but it was accidently overdosed to a apparent bug. Watch for this behavior and issues involving him drugging those he has a problem with and slap a warning on next time

I plan on pushing out the verdict within 24 hours.

If it has any bearing on your decision, I would like to point out that in every single one of these cases, I rectified the behavior and improved.

I did not agree that directly assisting antags at the cost of the crew was punishable, but I have not done it since, I respected the ruling.

I have not told anyone to drink tea for toxins since I was told not to.

I have not attempted to move (or sedate) anyone from medical while security was active since that complaint.

I would like to believe my history shows that I listen to criticism and improve my play style as needed. I have always taken being a constructive, rules oriented member of this server and its community seriously. I’d like to think you could look at said history, and my interactions with staff in the past, and trust that, given the opportunity, I would not make the same mistake.

[F] Lok Cromwellchecks his watch.

[F] asks, Fernando Gonzales"Do you have any medical reason to stand there?"

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Yes."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Do ask your chemist."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Again."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Ask your chemist."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"Wait in the lobby, we have too many people in and out in critical."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Interdepartmental communication."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Oh look."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Your chemist."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales""I said wait in the lobby.

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Also my lungs are damaged."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"You said a lot of things."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"I know."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"Lobby."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"Last warning."

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"I was asked to wait by the scanners."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"And now I am telling you."

[F] says, Fernando Gonzales"Alright, I don't have time for this."

[F] Lok Cromwellnarrows his eye.

[F] says, Lok Cromwell"Deploy the soporific."

ATTACK:/(Fernando Gonzales) used the hypospray to inject peridaxon (5)stoxin (10) (5u transferred) into /(Lok Cromwell)

I am curious on your reasoning behind this? I know you've discussed it with Alberyk on PM's, but, this encounter specifically outlines a few things to me.

1- If you had the time to stand and talk, it strikes me that you didn't have anyone specifically in need for you right now.

2- The previous two encounters had Lok Cromwell as suffering, per my memory, an acid cloud and later he was gasping.

3- He's telling you that he's being attended to by one of your own staff. A chemist yes, but it was not exactly a usual situation, so all hands on deck.

4- Sedating someone without them being a threat and lacking sufficient reasoning can even incur infractions.

Bottom line is. Why was it so important that you had to sedate someone who has asked for medical attention beforehand, and from their point of view shunned? Who at the time of those logs, was receiving some receiving some care. While you may not have perceived as something majorly serious verdict, it is still a verdict which you affirmed?

For reference, this is from https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9533

Regarding Command whitelist removal:

• Failure to uphold the standards put in place for a member of command.
  • Receiving too many administrative actions.

The previous conditions are under the discretion of the team to enforce. If you disagree with the removal, create a staff complaint for others to review.

The bottom line, the action that can be considered the final straw here was something deserving of punishment, it was wrong and I am slightly disappointed it happened in the first place. That being said, after consulting what was said here and in my discussions with a number of people mainly on discord, I've reached a decision. I do want to say that a whitelist strip in my opinion is an applicable punishment.

I'll outline a few main points of relevance.

1- I can't really fault Alberyk for closing the ticket without adding much to it. At the time, his belief was little to nothing was coming out of it, otherwise he was going to mention something to Resilynn during the interaction.

2- The team used information, which I had also checked at the time, with the belief it is completely valid. Reviewing it again has given cause to reconsider the reprimand issued, when reviewing it as a result of sum of all action. Again, emphasis that even with this, I still believe a strip is still suitable to a degree.

3- While Resilynn does have notes and a presently active warning, most are not repeats. The primary issue is the repeat action, which while not the most decisive of statements, was still an administrative decision that you would calm down on the that specific course of action when handling situations.

4- Resilynn has accepted fault and agrees to a reprimand, simply not the whitelist strip.

The verdict is as follows.

1- The whitelist is being returned

2- A severe warning is being applied.

3- The violation of the outlined warning will result in an immediate whitelist strip, a month long period establish before a new application can be made and doubling the trial period.

Warning Text: As a Chief Medical Officer, avoid jumping to sedating people, regardless of what medium you are using to solve issues that don't require it. If a person does not present an active threat to yourself and others, you should not be jumping to this course of action. If you are unsure of the validity of employing sedatives, you can contact staff via an adminhelp for permission. It's one thing to sedate someone for convenience and another to save yourself from severe injuries.

Now for some feedback.

1- Mostly covered, but your reliance on sedatives is a major issue here.

2- Playing characters that are dicks is fine. It becomes an issue when people apparently cryo when they see you. It's easy to say that people can join to become residents, and it's something I advise as well, but during cases of extreme emergencies, who has the time to teach new people mechanics? It's hard and time consuming. The understand that behind that screen is a person should be considered, so resorting to suspending people all the time is not something I've grown fond of, and I advise you approach that option more selectively.

A person that is clearly new and struggling? Okay, maybe they cannot handle the more extreme of operations, so send them off to more basic things they can pull off. We are a community based on a game, people will struggle, people will learn, this happens. You can retain a character that other characters dislikes while at the same time not being off-putting to players. This is not all strictly for Resilynn as I'm aware a good majority of people that play medical are reading this. I've played medical, and I've found it that as a random character, that it is extremely off putting recently.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: OOC, Heads of Staff are pillars of consistency in the game. They are generally experienced roleplayers who keep the high RP culture of the game going. They are expected not only to keep the station running, but also to serve as models for incoming players for what RPing looks like. They don't pull barely in-character wacky shenanigans, and their responses to situations make sense. They also, in a sense, train new players. I'd expect a HoS to in game show a new employee how to do their job, but a good HoS should probably also LOOC and go over game mechanics if someone seems to be having trouble.

You're a nice person and I never had the chance to speak to you about this, with my recent break, but I know you're not doing all this intentionally. So keep everything in mind.

This'll stay up for another 24 hours unless anything relevant is added.