[Resolved] ToasterRoboto CCIA

BYOND Key: XanderDox

Staff BYOND Key: ToasterRoboto

Game ID: N/A

Reason for complaint: Failure to conduct a proper CCIA investigation.

Evidence/logs/etc:

I received, as is standard, the following message:

TO: Klaus Eliade, Captain, NSS Aurora

SUBJECT: Notice of CCIA Investigation

--------------------

BODY:

This is an official notice that an investigation has been opened regarding reported conduct performed by yourself or that you reportedly witnessed during a shift on the NSS Aurora on the date of December 10th, 2459.

Nature of the reported incident: ((viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11601))

You have seven (7) days from the delivery of this notice to contact the CCIA office and schedule an interview regarding the above noted incident, or the following action(s) will automatically be taken:

- Dismissal of appropriate testimony

- Notation of Failure to Respond to CCIA Inquiry

- Additional Disciplinary Action as Determined by Investigation

--------------------

DTG: 27-19:25-TCS-07-2460

SIGN: F. Wirtz

I responded with the following:

No idea when I'll be free. Possibly this weekend tho.

I did not recieve any response, or any other attempt of contact from CCIA or the CCIA Supervisor on the weekend or past it to attempt to meet with me. However, I just received this in my inbox from [mention]ToasterRoboto[/mention] :

TO: Klaus Eliade, Captain, NSS Aurora

SUBJECT: Notice of CCIA Action

--------------------

BODY:

The investigation of an Incident Report has concluded, and the following relevant action is being applied at this time:

1) Klaus Eliade (Captain, NSS Aurora) has been reprimanded for their improper voiding of a legitimate warrant.

No additional disciplinary action is deemed necessary at this time.

Agent Notes

As a captain, you are to set an example for the crew. Allowing this warrant to be voided makes the station crew see you as someone they can use to get out of trouble if they befriend you. It makes them see you as someone they’d like to approach, rather than an authority figure. A member of the crew could very easily ignore protocol (as Killinski did) and result in an incident such as the loss of Officer Fitzgerald’s hand, because the offender believes “I’m friends with Captain Eliade, they’ve got my back!”

Do not allow such a thing to happen again.

--------------------

DTG: 04-20:08-TCS-08-2460

SIGN: F. Wirtz

Additional remarks:

The investigation went forward without my testimony, consultation or interview - despite me responding to their message and being completely ignored back - they made no further effort to contact me. Additionally, this was the first round I ever met the character Killinski as Klaus, and I did not get time to talk to anyone before having to resolve the issue between them and Marc, so to imply Klaus was friends with them is outright insulting and shows the CCIA could not be bothered to properly investigate this.

Just to show my thought process: I messaged you, stating that you had "(7) days from the delivery of this notice to contact the CCIA office and schedule an interview". You reply that you might be available over the weekend and I wait for you to respond further as the PM says for you to schedule an interview. You don't and we move forwards with the report.

As for the note, it's rather poorly worded on my end. I meant to imply that the two of you had a relation in the way that two heads of staff would be expected to have, which would presumably be different than the relationship of two friends.

My involvement in the IR did not extend to PMing the people involved. What I got told by Toaster was that we will probably not get Eliade's testimony, and that we would have to move forward without it. We actually waited some days without doing anything, for the sake of the 7 day period, so I don't think that we ignored him on purpose. As for the note, I did the WI stuff, with Toaster doing the actual PMing. Thus, I cannot add anything else of note.

Just to show my thought process: I messaged you, stating that you had "(7) days from the delivery of this notice to contact the CCIA office and schedule an interview". You reply that you might be available over the weekend and I wait for you to respond further as the PM says for you to schedule an interview. You don't and we move forwards with the report.

As for the note, it's rather poorly worded on my end. I meant to imply that the two of you had a relation in the way that two heads of staff would be expected to have, which would presumably be different than the relationship of two friends.

Scheduling goes both ways. I cannot guarantee I am free for a weekend unless I also hear that you are free for a weekend otherwise I lose out on plans. All the times I have previously scheduled a CCIA interview, I have had a conversation with the CCIA that involved back and forth talk on when we were both free. These have exceeded past the seven day 'contact by' period, because the seven day period (at least when I was in CCIA) was essentially a time someone had to contact you - but not the time they needed to have a schedule hammered out, because we understand that people do have lives and some of our players do only dedicate a few hours total a week for playing on the Aurora.

I understand your process, and this complaint isn't an attempt to ruin your trial or get you in trouble - I simply want the decision changed or at least to have the chance to provide my character's testimony.

Hello.

From our instruction thread, concerning disregarding interviews:

"If a player does not reply to your attempts to contact them within seven days, you can disregard their interview" is the expectation on our side. This is meant to ease processing of reports of people who either can't or won't reply to us, or people who have left the server since the report went up. We then proceed with what we can, and in the case of the characters being accused of something, assume they have nothing to say in their defense. It is not intended to be a hard time limit for people who reply and start the process of scheduling with us. As was mentioned above, once someone does reach out to us, scheduling can and often does take us past the seven day mark, and is a two-way process. It's part of the reason why these reports sometimes sit for so long.

On the CCIA side, I expect that team members be persistent and use multiple means of communication to make this contact throughout the seven day time period (BYOND pager, discord, forum PM, server PM, etc.), so that we can justify disregarding an interview in the event it all doesn't work out. After speaking to both of you in this case however, it appears that this communication didn't really happen, which is not ideal for us.

After speaking with TR, he bought up the possibility of getting Eliade's interview done. I can nullify the previous action on his file and re-open the investigation if you think that would work for you [mention]Azande[/mention], as we seem to have moved on hastily here. Coordinate with TR, and let me know the result between the both of you here.

Our training material will also be clarified on this point. This is the first time it's been an issue, but the instructions don't spell the expectation out to the extent that would have avoided this situation.

This report has been re-opened on our side internally, and the actions/notes applied to Eliade have been removed while the report continues to be processed. We're going to leave the IR thread where it is in the archive. Keep in mind that the statement Eliade gives might not affect the original outcome of the investigation.

I consider this complaint resolved at this time, as you two have agreed on meeting and the previous actions no longer apply, but I'll leave this open for a while for additional comments or discussion.