[Resolved] Staff Complaint - ReadThisNamePlz

BYOND Key: TehFlaminTaco

Staff BYOND Key: ReadThisNamePlz

Game ID: bVV-aBdF

Reason for complaint: A Normal round as a cargo tech was put to a halt by a raider incursion, which in itself was no issue. Antags happen. The issue was when the Raiders restrained the now hostage cargo by dislocating all their limbs. The intention obviously being to stop them moving or escaping. This itself acts like a more powerful form of restraint than something like Cable Cuffs or Handcuffs, or even a Straight Jacket, being the most powerful way to stunlock someone other than sleeping toxin or straight up murder. I tried arguing the point that I felt this was powergame, and eventually made an adminhelp about it. The staff member who responded said that it was fine, because they didn't bring restraints, and then shut me down from any attempts to argue this point, and told me to make a staff complaint if I felt otherwise.

Evidence/logs/etc:

Images provided in Chronological order for convenience

d7f415a7af0c3c1a70155bb9b621f53b.png

566eff987f7428412926d55c176c430c.png

646fdf5b8007aecd4b041af84253a8ea.png

11680d1f769c37dd000e52dceb3ae8ea.png

4dc103b458c6111642182605231849c6.png

Additional remarks:

You wouldn't allow a Security officer to use lethals because they forgot their taser, why should raiders get away with using the obviously more powerful dislocation technique, taking random crewmembers essentially out of the round, when they could have used restraints instead? It's not like they couldn't make cable restraints, even if they only did so after the dislocations.

Hi, I'll make my response pretty short.

They could have made restraints, but they didn't. They only had 30 cable wire and used it on an Officer earlier in the round and I assume someone else/dropped the excess 15. Dislocating is cheap, but it is effective and in the case, Valid. If they left you all in a dark room, it'd be different, but they were preparing to transport all of you to their ship. It is an effective way to restrain hostages/prevent complications with them.

I witnessed them try to cable restraints on the officer as well. Not sure what happened to them afterwards, however.

I was the officer you witnessed. I tried taking them by surprise before the cables were applied and failed horribly. Ended up having all limbs dislocated, sensors turned off, comms device taken and been left in the theater in maintenance for 10-15 minutes. Also mentioned to the raider team in LOOC that I had out of character business to take care of but my character was still in the dark when I returned.

Additional remarks:

You wouldn't allow a Security officer to use lethals because they forgot their taser, why should raiders get away with using the obviously more powerful dislocation technique, taking random crewmembers essentially out of the round, when they could have used restraints instead? It's not like they couldn't make cable restraints, even if they only did so after the dislocations.

Antags have different standards as far as what they are allowed to do. I do not really think this is powergaming just because you cant spam resist.

Hi, I was Nine that round. The dislocation was something I started using more sparingly after that round once I realized how much it bothered people. That said, we tied the officer, and were planning to transport him, but in LOOC he had to go do something else, so we figured it was okay to let him wait a bit. He was dislocated because (I think, my memory is foggy so I could be wrong) he pretty severely hurt one of our raiders. We retrieved him after hitting up the bridge if I recall correctly, as we had left him in the old maintenance theatre. I believe at that point they weren't SSD anymore, but this was awhile ago. They were brought into cargo as a hostage with the others.

Second, I want to apologize that I ruined your round. Valid or not, my goal as antag is never to ruin someone's round. I felt bad then, and I feel bad about it now. We legitimately had no other way to restrain you. In hindsight we probably should have scoured the area for cables more, but it's hard to remember what I was thinking about at the time, or if there was enough in the immediate vicinity, we likely would have had to print some from the lathe, which was not likely because Security was breathing down our necks.

I believe ReadThisName approached me on the matter, and I explained to him that we had very little to no coil for cuffs at the start of the round. The lack of storage for raiders in general also is a further barrier, as we essentially have to carry most of our gear on board until we get backpacks, so that is why we dislocated your limbs. Again, sorry that I ruined your round. If you ever think I did something bad, always feel free to approach me after the fact, because I genuinely try and make rounds more fun for everyone when I play antagonist. During the round is essentially the worst time, especially in that scenario, because I am handling a lot of stress and I tend to get fairly in-character, so sorry that I snapped at you a bit.

Hopefully this provides everyone with some more context.

I mean yeah that does sound reasonable to me. I imagine its not realistic to ALWAYS use limb dislocation in place of cuffs but if you do not have any other option. I am quite certain there is a line but this does not cross it with the explanations given to me. I really do consider this resolved. Though i would probably encourage the raiders to better scour for cuffs next time. Cable coil is abundant after all.

• 2 weeks later...