[Resolved] Ban Request: Ffrances

i can see a whitelist strip. but i wouldnt support a ban. i was in another round with this cmo who straight up refused to fix broken limbs because he "wanted to watch the wizard" and its more entertaining than actually doing his job. this is behavior i expect from a random member, not a professional head of staff. the player that had the broken limb had to walk around with it for a good while because the cmo was the only one with access at the time. i've seen this cmo play around alot of times, i can see random players doing this but when i see a head of staff fuck around that badly it just breaks immersion.

i was in another round with this cmo who straight up refused to fix broken limbs because he "wanted to watch the wizard" and its more entertaining than actually doing his job

That was the same round.

I actually delegated the task to literally anyone available over the med channel, and asked my staff to splint the limb in the meantime (there were several MDs and at least one surgeon available, so that's a far stretch from the "I refuse to perform surgery" you went on to complain I supposedly said).

The reason for that is that yes, I wanted to watch the play (not the wizard lol). We've never had a play that I know of, whereas people come with random broken bones constantly, and as long as the patient's condition isn't critical they can be given a splint and carry on with their work for a good 20 minutes or however long the play lasted, if literally no one is willing to fix them.

i can see a whitelist strip. but i wouldnt support a ban.
Just want to add that I don't really understand how a whitelist strip really applies here. You guys need to decide whether these actions are unbecoming of an Aurora player at all or not, but they've got very little to do with me being CMO.

I'm not sure why this is a ban request.

I can see a player complaint if you believe it to be conduct unbecoming of a whitelisted player, but a ban request for a trivial action? It seems, like Mirk said, there is this crusade by people who want this to be Corporate Workstation Simulator 2457. Now, I know you have said it's not relevant to this thread, but it is in fact. Maybe that's why it's a ban request instead of a player complaint?

I don't know, but I wouldn't support a ban simply for the actions stated. It was goofy fun, which is what we're here for, correct? To have fun? I feel like some people have forgotten that, but meh. Other players found it to be humorous, they had fun, and nobody had their experience diminished by the event. I don't see what the harm in fun is, really.

Are we really attempting to justify a whitelisted player's character shrugging off being on fire? I was under the impression that we marketed ourselves as a heavy roleplay server and community. The fact that it doesn't cause damage code-wise is irrelevant - I do fondly recall people abusing firesuits to go EVA without appropriate protection being PMed, for instance.

As for why being whitelisted is relevant: Whitelisted players will always be held to a higher standard, especially when playing on their command characters.

Regardless, ban requests are for outright grief and/or other entirely malicious actions. I'd appreciate it if you'd post this in the form of a player complaint so it can be handled appropriately.

Edit:

Avoid pain. A sane, well-rounded character would not engage in actions that are overly painful, or put themselves in harm's way without consideration (e.g. going EVA without a suit, stabbing themselves repeatedly, or continue to run at someone after being shot multiple times.) Suicide is generally a NO, unless you have believable reason for it and do it in a realistic way (ODin on chemicals as a chemist is realistic, but cutting off your head isn't), you can contact the admins to clear situations like that.

This is pretty important. You set yourself on fire, and made a conscious effort of remaining on fire for shits and giggles. Whether it affected anyone's round adversely or not doesn't matter - this is a pretty clear rule.

I'm not sure why this is a ban request.

I can see a player complaint if you believe it to be conduct unbecoming of a whitelisted player, but a ban request for a trivial action? It seems, like Mirk said, there is this crusade by people who want this to be Corporate Workstation Simulator 2457. Now, I know you have said it's not relevant to this thread, but it is in fact. Maybe that's why it's a ban request instead of a player complaint?

I don't know, but I wouldn't support a ban simply for the actions stated. It was goofy fun, which is what we're here for, correct? To have fun? I feel like some people have forgotten that, but meh. Other players found it to be humorous, they had fun, and nobody had their experience diminished by the event. I don't see what the harm in fun is, really.

This right here.

Now, I get you. You want to have your immersion in tact and enjoy heavy rp seriously. Buuut, there's a whole other side to that with others. A lot of people like to fuck around and have fun on occasion, within the rp. I know I do it, and I know a lot of other members of the community do it, including others in staff. You can say two wrongs don't make a right, but that's the thing. To some extent, I don't really think the occasional joke is a wrong in the first place. It isn't that big of a deal. We need to take a step back and keep in mind that this was a joke, not a character made to feel no pain and go out of its way to break the rules.

Remember that we're playing this game to have fun, occasionally people are going to toss in a joke here and there. Of course there's limits to jokes, but I don't see how this one went too far.

This right here.

Now, I get you. You want to have your immersion in tact and enjoy heavy rp seriously. Buuut, there's a whole other side to that with others. A lot of people like to fuck around and have fun on occasion, within the rp. I know I do it, and I know a lot of other members of the community do it, including others in staff. You can say two wrongs don't make a right, but that's the thing. To some extent, I don't really think the occasional joke is a wrong in the first place. It isn't that big of a deal. We need to take a step back and keep in mind that this was a joke, not a character made to feel no pain and go out of its way to break the rules.

Remember that we're playing this game to have fun, occasionally people are going to toss in a joke here and there. Of course there's limits to jokes, but I don't see how this one went too far.

I can see why you'd think of that, Ryfer.

Interesting premise you're setting here, but I guess that's okay, right, if you repeat the same 'It was a jooooke' spiel over and over again, expecting different results or something, then that's totally okay.

Who cares about roleplay if we have more fun screwing around, right?

This right here.

I can see why you'd think of that, Ryfer.

Interesting premise you're setting here, but I guess that's okay, right, if you repeat the same 'It was a jooooke' spiel over and over again, expecting different results or something, then that's totally okay.

Who cares about roleplay if we have more fun screwing around, right?

But I said that joke went too far, unlike this. I'm unsure why it's even relevant.

'It was a jooooke', because it was. Not every single situation is the same, believe it or not. I can expect different results, because I'm not dealing with the same problem. I can say it was a joke that went too far there, acknowledging that I had done something wrong; but it was still in humor. Staff came to the same conclusion as well, so I don't really see your point. Generalizing everything isn't very productive.

See, jokes are highly dependent on how you take them. Everyone has a different sense of humor. What makes this such a big deal, is people taking it too seriously and getting upset over something that was intended to be a brief chuckle and then be forgotten. I never said to toss aside rp, I said that there is a group that enjoys joking around and it's going to happen, regardless of people wanting to be serious all the time.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

This is such a petty thing to do. This is no different from whispering "ayyy lmao" or memes to people in the hallway that are the same level of immersion breaking. Grabbing someone and tabling them 4noraisins? Done that too. With the precedent this thread is set, I need to be banned with 6 other people I can name off the top of my head.

If Ffrances is actually punished for something this retarded I'm going to file a ban request for every single OOC-themed whisper or joke action, because obviously we hold immersion to such a high sacred holy pedestal that it trumps 'reasonability' itself.

This is pretty important. You set yourself on fire, and made a conscious effort of remaining on fire for shits and giggles. Whether it affected anyone's round adversely or not doesn't matter - this is a pretty clear rule.

Here's the problem I still have, though.

Let's say I walk through welder fuel with a cigarette again, accidentally or not. Am I supposed to writhe in agony and pretend to get terribly burned (like I also initially did as a joke) while taking no damage, or should I simply disregard it and try to get away from the fuel as quickly as possible while pretending nothing happened?

Your answer matters in this. I sorta feel like I can surmise it won't be the former, and if it's the latter, then you're arguing something very different than a break of the painRP rule.

The point isn't that I avoided pain-RP (that should be glaringly obvious to anyone, though we could also pretend that the flames didn't hurt for whatever reason, since they mechanically didn't). The point is that you believe I goofed off too much, and I'd rather we discuss that than minor and obvious details.

Here's where I'm confused. If the incident occurred in the holo deck, wouldn't the safety measures have kicked in for the fire? I mean, I guess that would explain how someone can get jiggy with it while looking like Dracula embracing the Human Torch, right? I don't know how holo decks work, m8.

Guest Menown

To me, the issue is, Frances set themself on fire. That's the issue. If they were set on fire, and observed that the fire does absolutely nothing, then went, "Huh, Guess I'm the human torch haha." That'd be different. It was done ICly as the character himself went and did this, and reacted in a way said character would,, which is different from the tablings, the whispering, ect. Those are OOC incidents, that happened to take place through an IC medium.

Frankly, this isn't really, warranting a ban, I don't think.

To me, the issue is, Frances set themself on fire. That's the issue. If they were set on fire, and observed that the fire does absolutely nothing, then went, "Huh, Guess I'm the human torch haha." That'd be different. It was done ICly as the character himself went and did this, and reacted in a way said character would,, which is different from the tablings, the whispering, ect. Those are OOC incidents, that happened to take place through an IC medium.

Frankly, this isn't really, warranting a ban, I don't think.

I'm kinda confused, though. It's okay to joke about it if someone else tries to do it to you, but if you're responsible for provoking it yourself making fun of it isn't okay?