Need ideas for Scifi Space sim game

Hi!

Some of you might be aware that me and some friends are currently making a game in our free time, and as hobby so there is absolutely NO guarantee that anything will be delivered, but if anything good comes out of it, i am planning to make it free, maybe community-developed in the future.

So basically the skeleton mechanics which will be implemented as soon as possible:

- simplified DCS/Rogue System like spaceship controls: You need a startup procedure, can alter component settings that will affect ship behavior.

- Some kind of atmospheric simulation that will not kill performance. Calculated contents of air that will affect human body for instance. And atmospheric flight will not be possible for every ship.

- Pre-generated or seed based procedural star system, haven't decided on this yet.

- Orbital mechanics mixed with Warp-travel, meaning you need a minimal knoweledge of how orbits work, you can't just warp from a high orbit planet to a small planet without modifying your orbit beforeand or in the jump computer.

Do you think it would be possible to build a RolePlaying enviroment with these mechanics, like SS13 does?

This is a really brief description of what i have in mind and want to achieve.

This is all in design phase, that's why i am asking for additional input if you are interested.

Also, you may call this a Star Citizen clone or whatever i honestly don't care. I don't plan on ripping off anything from whatever.

Any input is welcome.

EDIT1 :

So i have to expand a bit more. On the worldbuilding aspect, idea is you have different type of buildings, prefabs which you can place on planets wherever you like. These would be bigger player hubs, mining areas etc. Planet mining facilities would send AI haulers to bring the ores into the player controlled hubs, this is a nice way to have factions which compete over each other. These transports would be attackable as well as every facility excluding the player hubs. Think of EVE, where only big corporations can manage huge fleets and buildings. Making building expensive is a nice way to limit overusign them. Also more facilities your faction owns, the harder to defend each.

I don't think planets need to be really detailed. Far from the survival type of games that try to mimic realistic planets. Remember, most of space rocks are mostly...rocks, with no life. But with many raw resources to mine and conquer, so i don't want to really overexeggerate planet generation, just terrain, textures, resource areas and the like.

I think most fun mechanics would take place in space, in your ships and in space stations. Space stations would be the main player hubs, where the atmosphere would be like SS13, when no one is flying their ships.

Space elevator, yes i had that already in mind. Some ships would have atmos flight capability, but i don't plan on making larger ships able to land on plnets (with high gravity) because that's stupid in my opinion, without wasting alot of fuel, but we will see.

I think there would be plenty of room for lore and RP. For example i love how EVE and Elite handles their story progression.

Also, since we are not planning on monetization in any way, and we are on budget, plan is to have multiple servers with their own systems playerbase factions ( that is the dream), where you connect to each server ingame via a stargate thingy. And while you travel, the connection sockets are established, loadings are done, and when finished you pop out of the gate.

Edited by Guest

My general area of interest, as you likely know, is lore and world-building.

I suggest you use stations as interact-able hubs. After that, it shouldn't be hard to use a separate menu where you can interact with characters and utilities in an RPG manner. Maybe even make the stations space elevators or shuttle hubs where you can possibly visit the planets and explore them further. Perhaps you can make your ship have shuttle of its own for atmospheric transition, in case the ship can't fly, then have planet-based hubs where you can interact with the world.

As for world-building, that's pretty hard if you intend to make all of the planets RNG. Carefully crafted worlds with societies and geography to go with them goes a long way to make your world interesting. If there is anything to learn from shitshows like No Man's Sky is that making your world ocean-wide, but pond deep is a bad way to go about building a universe.