Boadicea, Chapter I: Embark

1 March, 2458

NSS Odin, Large Ship-Docking Port

Biesel Sovereign Space, Tau Ceti

The NSS Odin was abuzz with activity, as at least two-thousand people would be coming to the station via skylifts, for an historic event that was about to take place. Docked just outside, in all of her pre-voyage splendor, was the NCV Boadicea, the jewel of NanoTrasen's fledgling transit authority. The ship was ornate, its lights shining as it floated in the vast quiet of space. The interior of the Boadicea and the Odin was bustling, as the crew prepped the ship for the event and initiated the boarding procedure. The current, temporary denizens of the station were at the precipe of galactic life. You had Tom Stoddard, host of Alliance Today; Hassan al-Bakr, celebrated Tajaran playright; and a plethora of other celebrities, in addition to the various dignitaries and political figures that had gathered. You also had the crew of the NSS Aurora, who had been given an all-expenses-paid cruise for all of their hard work.

Security wasn't light, either. The NMV Icarus was trolling out around the Odin, the hardy vessel silently standing vigil over the massive jewel docked to the station. Inside the Odin, security was tight, tighter than a chastity belt. ERT personnel were marching around, their weapons visible for all to see. Watchful, cautious eyes watched the passengers, vigilant for anyone that wished to crash the party.

"Cohort 1 to Cohort signs 7, 4, 9, and 2; all green?"

"Cohort 7; Gangway 1: all green."

"Roger that, Cohort 7."

"Cohort 4 showing all green at Gangway 2

"Roger that, Cohort 4."

"Cohort 9, Gangway 3 is green."

"Roger that, Cohort 9."

"Cohort 2, green at Gangway 4."

"Roger that, Cohort 4. All Cohort, Praefectus, and Praetorian signs, be advised: boarding procedures will commence in T-Minus 60 seconds.

JIM CALHOUN - I stride confidently through the skyway, the one linking the Boadicea to the Odin. I'm feeling cool, confident; I feel good in my tailored grey suit. Bespoke-tailored in Mendell City by Callahan & Hodges, it was a comfortable - but controlled - fit. My 58's on my right, locked up in the retention holster on my belt. Got a holobadge, too, right next to my sidearm. Handcuffs at the small of my back. Pepperspray on my left side. A headset to communicate. The full bodyguard kit.

This was my half-vacation; I was making 25 gs as the Supervisor for the Personal Protection Detail, our job being to protect the First-Class passengers, who are of top priority given their ratings. My bet is that it'll be a relaxed gig, given that while we'll be in the OC, we'll be on a protected route. If there was one thing people couldn't fault NT on, it was how effective their naval power was, when it came to protecting their shipping routes. NT's Transit Authority made a killing by charging spacecraft for travelling on the route, and it was a very effective political tool at times. Chris Christie would have been proud of such politically-motivated transit freezes.

I was out of the tube, the sound of collective conversation invading my ears. Thank God that B-Sec had the tube's entrance cordoned off. Some holo-horses (sawhorses, but using holo-tech in a way similar to police tape) were set up to form a perimeter, and behind the holo-horses were five blue-suited officers, and 3 check-in officers, dressed in crisp white uniforms. They were about to begin boarding, so I stepped out of the way to the door. I had my men and women at the main elevators leading to the First Class decks, where we had our own special checkpoint set up. That was our HQ; our guard shack. We had one main room connecting to the lobby, with security and messaging terminals, as well as a series of reinforced blast doors organized in a chamber-type fashion on two sides, for the purposes of defending the deck in case of an attack as well as for better control whilst processing those who came and went from the deck.

"ATTENTION ALL BOADICEA PASSENGERS, DOCKING PASSAGES A, B, C, AND D HAVE BEEN OPENED. YOU MAY COMMENCE BOARDING AT YOUR CORRESPONDING CLASS SECTION. SECTION A IS RESERVED FOR FIRST-CLASS PASSENGERS. SECTION B IS RESERVED FOR SECOND-CLASS PASSENGERS. SECTION C IS RESERVED FOR THIRD-CLASS PASSENGERS. SECTION D IS RESERVED FOR CREW BOARDING. ALL BOARDEES ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH SECURITY PERSONNEL DURING THE BOARDING PROCEDURE. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH SECURITY PROCEDURES WILL RESULT IN A CLASS ONE INFRACTION, AND MAY RESULT IN THE REVOCATION OF YOUR BOARDING PASS. THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING THE NCV BOADICEA FOR YOUR SPRING BREAK ADVENTURE!

I stood with my feet spread shoulder-width apart, my hands clasp together in front of me. My eyes were focused on the officers in front of me, waiting for the first passengers to come through.

Half-Vacation starts...now!

Docking a semi-large ship in a busy port is always a pain. After waiting one hour just to get a space Mark Syion dock at docking Area "51A". Making a mess of the parking, chipping his paint job while at it, he curses under his breath, he lets out a sigh and pulls a ticket out of his backpack "A Vacation will do me good, I wonder what trouble could happen..." Letting the remark sligh, he disambarks his vessel and sets out to find his home for the next few weeks. The "NSS Boadicea"

It did not take long to find, a large queue and a large ship stood infront of him, looking at his ticket with the "Please enter gate B" he let out a sigh "I wish I could have upgraded to First class with cash..."

Standing in queue a stern looking red Unathi stood infront of him "Ticket, mack". Marks showed him his ticket and let him search his luggage and backpack. "Alright, welcome to the NSS Boadicea"

A grin settled on his face "Home sweet home, who knows what could await me."

A tajaran IPC, with ash-red synthetic fur and glowing orange eyes, made its way to the security checkpoint with an older looking human woman. The IPC spoke when it came their turn to be checked in, with a smooth, clearly synthetic and russian-sounding feminine voice.

"Greetings. Two for boarding. Katana Silvers and Katrina Silvers."

The checkpoint guard silently checked their tickets, and baggage, and after some brief questioning on the presence of power cells and technological equipment which Katrina, they were allowed in. They split up after that - Katrina heading toward the B gate, while Katana scanned the crowd for a moment, then started heading Jim Calhoun's way, having been informed he was in charge of the protection details she'd signed on for.

Inis Truesight: Inis cursed under her breath as she dragged an overlarge suitcase behind her. Coming to a halt near the first ramp, she checked her ticket, then peered across the line of ramps up into the ship. She cursed slightly more loudly when she spotted ramp C at the far side of the ship. Dragging the heavy suitcase, that may well have weighed more than her, across the entire platform while wearing a long red dress and high heels was a challenging trek, and it took her nearly twenty five minutes to navigate the crowds and the queues to the base of the ramp. Once she had arrived, she held up her ticket and identification for the warden, a youngish human dressed neatly in the Boadicea's colours. "Thank you ma'am, you may board; your room is listed on your ticket." Inis nodded her thanks wearily and dragged her suitcase up the ramp.
Valorallen Vitellia: Valorallen looks over to Aefia listening to her saying in Tradeband, "You know, you don't need to go on this cruise or whatever it is called. I mean, didn't we move back to Persepolis to get away from all of this stuff?" Valorallen responds in Tradeband saying, "Aefia, I told you this already, I am still a Captain for Nanotrasen, even if I am on break. Besides, I sort of just disappeared without a word when everyone transferred to the Exodus. Don't worry, I will be back before you know it. Just make sure you make it back to Persepolis before too long and take care of Kelsie." Aefia sighs, "I guess so..." Aefia hands over Valorallen's bags to him and waves goodbye. Valorallen then makes his way to the line to board the NCV Boadicea. By the time he makes it to the front, the room seems to have emptied quite a bit. Valorallen speaks to the lady at the desk and is allowed access to the Boadicea. While he begins to board the vessel, he looks around the room to see if he sees any familiar faces from the NSS Aurora.
Shinjlekh Ukhaan: Stands back inside the crowd, staring up at the ship with his arms crossed over his chest. He briefly flicks his eyes down to his choice of dress, a dressy, black suit with a red tie, and a traditional coat of hide and leathers draped over his shoulders. He shakes his head and then starts to make his way to the A dock, filing his way into the queue. He takes quick glances at the people around him, both in his own line, the surrounding, and just in general anyone he could set his gaze on. When it's finally time to present himself to the docking guard, he flips his boarding pass out of the pocket rather matter-of-fact-ly. He watches the guard open his lips to speak, and interrupts to answer the question he knew he was going to be asked. "Yesss, I am Resssearch Director, yessss I am Unathi." The answer causes the guard to shut his mouth and nod. The rest of the docking goes on without event, having his luggage checked through, even though he couldn't help but notice they took extra time to check him. Once his finally in the main boarding room, he stands and wanders a bit, wondering if he'll see any familiar faces before going to his room.

Elena Raschnikova: Elena walked through the passage A, with two children on her sides. A tall, somewhat grumpy young girl in a formal dress on her left and a small boy wearing a child-sized version of a tuxedo and clatching a futuristic version of a consumer grade tablet in his hands. Elena herself, was wearing an orange dress and high-heal shoes. As always, her blond hair was taid into a braid ponytail.

An Odin assistant was behind her, toiling large bags that belonged to her and her kids. A security guard stopped them at the entrence:

"Apology, but non-crew and non-A-class passingers may not go from this point. I may need to ask the assistant to go back and leave the bags here."

Elena nodded and took a credit chit out of her pouch, then handed it to the assistant: "Thank you, Johnson." The latter thanked in response and left after stacking the bags onto the a pile. Elena would turn to the Guard and ask: "Is it possible to get some to help me carry the bags, Officer? My kids and me can hardly carry so much luggage."

((Bump? I thought you said you were making something that would be put up later in the day. That was a few days ago.))

((Lemme tell you a bit about me. I just turned 22, and I am on Spring Break from community college. My life sucks; you will find that alcohol is very enticing when you get at least 18. When you get past 19, life really sucks. You lose motivation, and life's pitfalls make you jaded. It is what it is, but a post will come soon. What you need to understand is that I am 22; with obligations but a desire to still have fun. I am embroiled in at least 4 forum RPs, two essays and two presentations focusing on inequality and violence, and a psyche that I have been failing to master since I was 7. It is what is, but I will post))

((Bump? I thought you said you were making something that would be put up later in the day. That was a few days ago.))

((Lemme tell you a bit about me. I just turned 22, and I am on Spring Break from community college. My life sucks; you will find that alcohol is very enticing when you get at least 18. When you get past 19, life really sucks. You lose motivation, and life's pitfalls make you jaded. It is what it is, but a post will come soon. What you need to understand is that I am 22; with obligations but a desire to still have fun. I am embroiled in at least 4 forum RPs, two essays and two presentations focusing on inequality and violence, and a psyche that I have been failing to master since I was 7. It is what is, but I will post))

((Take your time then. Wasn't sure if my posts weren't updating or something))

-snip-

"Room 2104," the attendant said as he checked Mark's pass and handed him a key. "Straight down the hall from the airlock, follow the class attendants to your assigned elevator."

-snip-

"Room 2105," the attendant told Inis, handing her a key. "Straight down the hall, and follow the class attendants."

When Inis and Mark boarded the interior of the Boadicea and cleared the exterior access passage within the ship, they were greeted by a warm, spacious interior that mimicked the glory days of Earth's ocean-bound cruise liners. A raised ceiling with a glowing gold and crystal chandelier shone above them, reflecting off of the polished wooden walls and the marble floor. A series of painting hung on the wall, depicting various scenes of exploration, from sea to space. As the second-class passengers filed in, they were greeted by two crew members, who were dressed in crisp white naval uniforms. A human female and an Unathi male whose eyes were full of excitement.

"Yesss, welcome folkssss!" the Unathi announced, his loud voice garnering the attention of the passengers. "It'ssss our pleasssure to welcome you aboard the Boadicea, the finessst new addition to the NanoTrasssen fleet! If you'd follow usss, you will be taken to the Sssecond-Classsss deck, and from there, you will be able to locate your roomsss."

The two began to walk, leading the passengers towards a set of two elevators, both of which were wide open. The Unathi and the human approached the elevators, and each of them stood in a doorway of a respective elevator.

"Ten passsssengersss to an elevator, pleassse," the Unathi stated, before he and his colleagues moved out of the way.

Twenty of the passengers at the front of the crowd - which included Mark and Inis - entered into the elevators, which were much more spacious. After giving the occupants a short time to adjust to their space in the elevator, the doors closed shut, and the elevators began to move upwards.

-snip-

JIM CALHOUN - I noticed Katana approaching; that IPC stuck out like a sore thumb, at least in my eyes. She was a good officer and I had no complaints about her, despite the fact that she was in fact a synthetic. When you're like me, you tend to place reliability over appearance. Human, Tajaran, Skrell, Unathi, Synth, Vaurca; prove your worth. I gave her a nod of acknowledgement as she approached. Some of the officers turned to stop her from approaching, but they halted once they heard me speak up.

"Right, welcome aboard," I said, holding eye contact with Katana, not looking at the officers. "Sorry, PPD business. Katana, go check in with the guys at the First-Class shack, and then get your gear. I want you back down here overlooking this location."

With that, I waved her in. It was getting busy, and despite having 8 officers, not everyone was here yet. PPD was supposed to get a private shuttle to the Boadicea in order to evade traffic, but it seemed that things had gotten mixed up. Now, I only had 4 officers, not including myself.

-snip-

"Room 1000," the attendant said as he handed him his key. "Straight inside, and someone will help you with your luggage."

-snip-

"Room 1001," the attendant said to the man, handing him his key. "Straight inside, and someone will help you with your luggage."

Valorallen and Ukhaan would enter the interior of the ship along with a group of other First-Class passengers, where they'd walk through one of the many opulent hallways before coming out into a grand atrium. Lined up before the elevators were several crew members, each standing beside of a luggage trolley. A human female in a crisp white uniform - three gold stripes on her shoulder epaulettes - watched as the passengers mingled and got their luggage situated, and she approached briskly with a confident swagger. Her nametag read "Patel." She was a tall Indian girl, with her back hair organized in a sock burn. .

"Hello, and welcome to the NCV Boadicea," she said. "I am Commander Yaana Patel, First Mate. Feel free to make use of our attendants and trolleys, and we will be underway to the First-Class section of the ship. Please keep your boarding passes and identification available, as the Personal Protection Detail will be operating a checkpoint at the entrance to the deck."

-snip-

JIM CALHOUN - I spotted Elena as she approached with her children, a security officer chasing off her attendant and leaving the formidable Russian woman with two young children and too much luggage. On the record, we were co-workers and we had favorable opinions of one another. Off the record, I was highly attracted to her. Sure, she was a stone-faced Iron Maiden that could intimidate anyone that she chose to intimidate, but I liked that about her. I liked strong women; the kind that could destroy you as quick as they could love you.

Did she like me? I chuckled at the thought of her having similar feelings, but who was I kidding? My attraction to powerful women was a double-edged sword; I could admire them from a far, but powerful women had an aegis. That aegis was hard to crack.

However, I was on company time. No time for flirting or cracking that hard exterior, but it was time for helping. I approached the officer, and Elena. He gave her a smile and eye contact, before offering my right hand.

"Good to see you, Captain," I said, maintaining eye contact. "I can help out with the luggage."

Director Silvers - They had split up when Katana went to greet Calhoun. The older russian woman had the luggage, having waved off one of the baggage attendants and saying she could handle it herself, as she approached the gate and waited in line to be given a room number.

Katana - As officers turned to stop her, she did stop, briefly, until Calhoun spoke up. She nodded once in response, her motions, while more organic looking than when the IPC was first built, still looking stiff and robotic.

"Affirmative, Commander. Please note that Director Silvers plans to make some calibrations and adjustments to my chassis shortly after boarding and preparing our room."

With barely a pause, she walked past the officers, heading toward's the shack to check in with the rest of the team.

After spotting Inis before entering the elevator Mark gave a quick wave and thumbs he enters the elevator and walks to his room.

Sporting some trousers and a loose T-shirt, he enters his "Fancy" room, complete with a King sized bed and all!

After sorting his things out, he pulls up a TV show, and picks one at random, he has a quick shower and puts on a suit and tie.

After getting dressed and dried, he exits his room and knocks on Room "2105" Inis's Room.

Elena Raschnikova - Even as a young lass, Elena had do naught but bat her eyelashes and look helpless to get help from men around her. A ridiculously effective persuasion tool, one she had learned to use responsibly. Regardless, she disliked using it on her work colleagues and people around her. She smiled at Jim as he approached and accepted his hand, shaking it firmly. "Hello, Jim. These are my children Lana and Dima." She gestured at the girl first, then at the boy. "You two, say hello to commander Calhoun." The young buy didn't say a word but waved with a slight smile. The girl, on the other hand, immediately opened her mouth and started speaking, "Commander? What are you, a mall-" Elena interrupted her, "Lana, not now!" She turned back to Calhoun not letting her respond, "Yes, I do need help with luggage, but I would dream to waste your time, especially considering you are most likely busy managing your staff."

Valorallen Vitellia: Valorallen patiently waits until Commander Patel finished talking and then walked over to one of the crew members with the trolleys.

The man standing at the trolley looks up, "Hello sir. Let me help you with your bags." Valorallen waits as the crew members assist with loading the trolley. He looks over and has a short conversation with another passenger he vaguely recognizes from the NMSS Odin. After a few short minutes, the man assisting with the luggage takes a look at Valorallen's Identification and says, "Oh, Room 1000. It is fairly close. Right this way."

Valorallen follows the trolley-worker into the elevator. He exits the elevator into a wide hall, covered with many expensive decorations. They two of them stop in front of an ornate door with the number, 1000 marked on it. "Here we are sir." Says the man. "Take your time with the trolley, leave it outside of the door and someone will be by later to collect it." Valorallen nods and thanks the man and then opens the door to his room.

The room was very well decorated, it had all the necessities in it. He unloads all of his bags and then leaves the trolley outside of his room. Looking around the room, he decides do go out and wander around the place for a little bit.

Inis closed the door behind her and began emptying her over-large suitcase into a full-sized wardrobe bolted to the wall. Out of the case came a substantial range of clothes, from demure to outgoing, in a full range of colours. Once the case was empty, Inis leaned it against the wall and fell onto the bed, staring at the ceiling. After a few moments, she reached over to her bedside table, taking hold of a neat leatherbound book before flipping gently through it's delicate pages.

Ten minutes after Inis had gotten to her room; there was a knock at her door. Surprised, she set down her book, smoothed down her dress, and went to the door.

"Already? Is there a passenger meeting o- Oh. What do you want?"

Inis folded her arms, leaning against the doorframe and stared at Mark in mild distaste.

Mark looks at his pocket watch, "I believe there is going to be a meeting in ten minutes, I could be wrong... Would you like to come with?

He looks around her room from the door, it's the same as his. "I saw a Old Captain at Boarding gate A,has some children too, guess who that could be" he smiles." Looks like we are not the only people from the Exodus here, this should be fun" he grins. "Oh, and I also saw a pool on the Main-deck, I am guessing thats where everyone will be."

"So, wanna come with?"

"I suppose I can. Give me a moment."

Inis closed her door, turning back to the bed snatching up a small satchel from beside it and stashing her book, along with several other items, within it; before heading back to the door.

"Where's the meeting? And there are, like, a thousand old captains."

Valorallen Vitellia: After wandering around the halls for a little while, Valorallen entered a large atrium that was connected to the hallways. Inside there, there were many high level employees from the NSS Exodus and surrounding area. He took a seat at a table inside the atrium ordering coffee from a nearby vendor. Once he sat down, he was quickly approached by Captain Lao Xin, a man he worked with for at least a decade. The two of them spoke with each other for a good while until Valorallen decided to go up to the communal recreational areas that he saw on the map during boarding.

Once Valorallen reached the the recreational areas, he spotted Mark Syion and Inis Truesight walking down the halls. Not wanting to speak with Syion, Valorallen continued on, hopefully without them noticing him.

• 2 weeks later...