I don't see much direct play with Raymond, but from observations and my IAA's interaction with him I have a very positive impression of the character. He's played capably as a leader, has a believable and relatable human side, and manages to sneak some humor into situations without turning them into complete memes. He's also a command staff character I trust to strike the balance between enjoyably escalating antag shenanigans in a round and doing his duty as a HoS or Captain.

Basically I like it when he's around, and also what UM said up there.

• 4 months later...

From what I have seen Icly, Raymond is quick to take charge of situations and bring them under control. They may make some harsher decisions, but ultimately they are always the correct ones. When off duty he is a rather interesting and informed character to talk to with.

Is good character, yes?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hawkins seems to know what he's doing, and commands respect well. My only criticism is that he has a tendency to micromanage.

I only really step in when there's a need. As an example, security that lacks an HoS only get my more hands on intervention when I've got departments screaming for help and security response is extremely delayed. Other than that, I generally prefer a hands off thing but only giving a task and letting said departments deal with it on their own accord.

Well well well, if it isn't a bunch of scared memes not posting an actual opinion.

Well I have no fear so I'll dump some truth on your ass.

First off Abosh you at first have seemed to fall into the pitfall of "Throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" with your characters but coincidentally this one seems to have stuck with the people, that's why I'm going to SLANDER IT.

Raymond Hawkins

What a swell guy huh? I think you've done well capturing the "Strict but just" package to the point where people with daddy issues take him as a father figure, he has a real sense of real to him, while dramatic and serious he can also be seen enjoying the finer things in life, drink, bikes, weapons and other such stuff in a BELIEVABLE manner. So far Hawkins feels real and like an actual person aboard the NSS Aurora (Or whatever the name is now)

But alas, to every face there is an ass.

The memes

Achtung the memes, as we know every popular character gathers a crowd around them that wants to interact and eventually through repeated actions they also gain memetic anomality, of course you yourself can't control and are not responsible for what other people do but it really does detract from who Raymond really is, while making a joke here and there is acceptible plenty of people take it too far, but again this isn't your fault just the fault of whoever else is reading thing, yes, even you Stefan.

The validhunting.

That's an exagaration, but honestly? Playing Cult or Vampire with Raymond in round is borderline annoying and impossible, god forbid you have a Unathi with you, then it's just straight to cryo.

While I understand it's really fun to burn heretics and act zelaous it can get easily out of hand and people tend to form a lynch mob and while it really is fun even as the antag the first time, it really is not pleasant the 5th time around when you're getting point blank leathaled by a security officer whipped into a frenzy by his commander shouting "KILL THE HERETICS".dramatic reconstruction

Really and that's about it! Raymond is a well balanced, grounded character with his own personallity, likes, dislikes and hobbies! If anything he's a prime example of a good character walking around Aurora and a proof that we can still be HRP instead of HRP if we really try our best.

The validhunting.

That's an exagaration, but honestly? Playing Cult or Vampire with Raymond in round is borderline annoying and impossible, god forbid you have a Unathi with you, then it's just straight to cryo.

While I understand it's really fun to burn heretics and act zelaous it can get easily out of hand and people tend to form a lynch mob and while it really is fun even as the antag the first time, it really is not pleasant the 5th time around when you're getting point blank leathaled by a security officer whipped into a frenzy by his commander shouting "KILL THE HERETICS".dramatic reconstruction

I'm glad you posted something and I agree with most of it, it's just this part I'm going to contest a tad bit. The burning of a heretic ((Vampire)) was done once and it wasn't even planned by myself, sure I meme around and exaggerate about that one incident and it has thus become a staple people seem to have of Raymond from an OOC perspective regarding his take on religion but it's more that he has an open mind on things and doesn't believe everything at this day and age can be explained by the scientific means at hand, but what actually happened in this incident was that the Science department including the Director simply refused/didn't want to deal with the vampire in question so the task was ferried to the Chaplain, who believed he could do something about it. It was supposed to be an exorcism where they would be "cleansed" but I didn't think it would be literal cleansing by fire, which was without my need to command it, promptly stopped by security and where I put my foot down on the RD to take in this vampire and to see if it's possible to help it, what ever it was.

As for killing the heretics, I don't really see when I've done this? Yes, I have at times possibly exaggerated the religious aspects of Raymond but those have long been reworked and replaced with an ideology as opposed to religion, one I won't really be sharing here but I guess I could if prompted. The only times when I've had to intercede and issue the "Weapons hot" command is in the event of a hostile and lethal attempted take over the station or simply when the HoS has been inadequate in their duties, which I've barely ever done.

As for killing the heretics, I don't really see when I've done this?

Again most likely not your fault, but people in the presence of Hawking and cultists seem more whipped into actual confrontational engagement, but causation =/= corolation and thus it could have simply been a few unfortunate rounds with unfortunate officers that i've witnessed and been told stories about as people like to exagarate their personal stories to attain more pity points.

Similar to the previous vampire issue, it seems that, sadly, people have gotten too inspired in their "Burn the witch" mindset and sometimes when performing such actions I've seen "Heh just like with Hawkings XD" in LOOC or Dsay, of course these were one-off mentions and mind not be related at all.

Now that I think about it most my issues with your character are the people around the character making it into a meme and assuming things instead of doing their research.

I actually used to dislike Hawkins. He seemed bland and boring to me, but now I know how hard it can be to develop a character when he is played nearly exclusively as a captain. I have recent;y RPed with him a bit more, and I must say he is quite an interesting character. He seems like a real guy, a pretty normal guy, but he has just enough different about him to make you remember him. One of the very best characters we have on station. I also enjoy the way you play captain. All in all, a very, very, good character.

• 1 month later...

As a Head of Staff he seems competent, reasonable, and most importantly believable. Beyond that, though, I've had the pleasure of getting a more in-depth view of what Hawkins is like as a character and I can tell that Sharp/aboshebab puts a decent amount of thought into him. There's a lot going on there beneath the surface, and he's characterized with a level of consistency and depth that I think requires a great deal of skill as a role player.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Raymond is a stickler but based on what I have seen it's done in a mature manner. As far as I have seen he does not have a BAD superiority complex that is so often the bane of career captains.

rayray s my hub

<<<<<<<33332333

Seriously though, having done a reasonable amount of in- and off- server character development with Abo through Raymond, I feel I have a reasonably good grasp on some of the nuances of the character.

Hawkins plays, it seems to me, a very strong man who lost something important and received a surrogate replacement for this loss in the form of various other adoptees and the overall concern of the greater whole of everyone he interacts with. I can't definitely say that Raymond has deliberately - or at least that I've seen - been unreasonable on principle or pass any form of character judgement before gaining a thorough understanding of the situation he finds himself in. Raymond operates in a stylised form of utility, with almost all of his real actions being to both further whatever narrative is developing and, by the gods, are his actions impactful.

Rarely since his ascension to Captain has he taken overt direct involvement in the events of a round until things have formally hit the fan, but every action he seems to take is measured and deliberate with a grasp of consequence and a determination present in the personality of the character that gives every action he takes a charismatic air of righteousness.

I think, to a degree, the actions Raymond takes are worthy of respect, so it's no wonder he has a bit of a following among certain characters.

Barring his workplace excellence and overarching concern and work for the greater good of Tau Ceti (Frost Incident ayy), I would say that, yes, he does have a few more mundane interests, but these too are refined and of high quality, as Coalf stated. My caveat to all this being that he's honestly just a little bit awkward to be personal with sometimes, and I can't at all fault Sharp for this little hitch - it makes him all the more human. His proficiency in micromanaging and his stalwart, professional demeanour are oddly contrasted by the details of his personal life being relatively complicated in both internal and external character development.

gud guy tbh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've spoken to Khaled and Raymond IC admittedly not much, but they're good characters in my opinion. Definitely higher than the standard.

There's definitely a lot of depth behind them, but I haven't been trying enough to talk to them or find out their backstories. They seem really fleshed out as characters and have distinguishable personalities - which is always a good thing to see.

There's not much else to say, really. I think you did an excellent job making both of the characters. Can't give much more feedback since I don't know their backstory or much else. But they're good bois in my book.

I like Raymond, but I have one very small complaint. Raymond seems a bit detached from the rest of the crew. I understand hes probably busy, but a little RP with the crew from time to time, engaging them more couldn't hurt. There were a few times I've been blown off by Raymond, most recently as Kiara Fields. When i spent my round developing knockout gas as a non leathal alternative for sec, and attempted to engage Raymond over it in front of sec, i was promptly blown off, resulting in a general lack of interest in a previously interested sec team. This isnt the only instance of it, just the most recent. I kind of felt like I wasted my round. I don't want to demand attention, but a little more engagement with the crew would be my only complaint. Otherwise I like Raymond and he seems like a generally competent and likable captain.