[2 Dismissal] Cadet alt-title

MO_oNyMan

Cadets are lame. They are future officers and traditionally get assigned to one of them at the start of the shift to learn discipline and get abandoned 15 minutes after. But officers are not the only part of security. There is an investigative division that works with entirely different mindset and follows entirely different principles. Furthermore, letting a cadet onto a crime scene or into the lab is ICly insensible.

So I suggest an alternative title for cadets to reflect their inclination towards investigative practices

Investigative assistant:

+ Creates a learning role for investigators

+ Doesn't get automatically assigned to an officer at the start of the shift

+ Learns critical thinking and artistical freedom as opposed to hardline discipline

+ Is an educated individual not an assistant with pepperspray

+ Helps investigators out

+ Dresses with taste

+ Not a virgin

+1 from me. I've seen multiple cadets who are detective cadets. The thing is, they're geared (and meant to act) like a mini-officer, so it doesn't really work out. If there was this then it'd be much easier for people to get into roles like Detective and CSI. I agree with this 100%. Hell, we have alt-titles that stray WAAAAY further from the main job, so I really can't see an issue with this.

• 1 month later...

Voting for dismissal. Interns are a generic role, and no intern should have an alt-title. If a cadet is interested in working under a forensic technician, all he needs to do is ask.

cadets and residents are working under medics and officers/detectives because becoming a medic or an officer/detective requires cadetship/residency. Forensic technician does not require cadetship, it doesn't rely on discipline, it can't use regular assistants or cadets as trainees (because some amount of education is required to work in the lab), it can't use residents or lab assistants as trainees because the people who took respective position expected to learn the work as a specific department and are stocked with specific access which makes transferring them to another department a huge headache. All of the above is why a specific job title for investigative assistants is required.

If interns being a generic role and not having an alt title is some sort of a principle (however assistants have an alt title of visitors and are doing just fine) then just make another slot for investigative assistants instead of making it an alt title

• 4 weeks later...

A reason not to do it is that it limits the kind of experience that a cadet is "allowed" to be getting (by their title). One of the main reasons intern roles exist is to be a meta way for players to learn the ropes of a department, so drawing a distinction between which role in a department that a cadet (read: security intern) is "allowed" to shadow just makes it so that they won't be exposed to the other half of the work they are eventually signing up to perform.

It's like Fowl said. Just tell them you're studying criminology or whatever and so are "supposed" to be tagging along with the CSI or detective.

You already control which department within sec your cadet is heading towards with background story, education etc. Literally just say "I am studying towards X and probably not qualified to be a cadet for Y" or sth?

Whilst it is nice flavor to have more kinds of interns (lab assistant is a weird one, if they are meant to be relatively not like random uneducated person who just carries boxes they would reasonably be at least split up into sci/robotics/biologybotany) I also agree with Bauser's point on limiting the experience.