Having a fun game after character death

drakuba

Ill start with example.

I died early and got spaced around 10-15 min mark, and acepted my fate of having a boring game. Decided to spawn as maintenance drone and proceded to repair/improve station. Around 30 min mark, i was captured by antag to do his biding and boy, round was fun again! Open this, scout that room, build baricades, hide around people so i wont look suspicious, take this plasma cutter and protect me.

I was give na chance to actualy affect a round IC instaed of just fixing stuff or violating RP rules as maint-drone. And i didnt mind being someones slave one bit because i was right in the middle of fun. So there is my idea:

Give dead players a chance to get back into game as some other entity and actively affect it. Because after 2 hours, there still might be some thing to do, but plenty of people died and that makes it boring for them. Modify gamemodes, so cultists will have benefits for bringing souls of players into constructs, so they will have something to do in game. Wizards to spawn skeleons, or summon guardian spirit/s that will do things. Vampires will spawn ghouls... Spawn as monsters, blob for example that will spawn (player-controled) slimes. Some drone that will fly/run around his chosen player(mercenary, sec-officer,captain,...) and protect him and listen to his orders. Some human creation/"Frankensteins monster"/grown human, taking soul of ghost, putting him back in game(no memories rule, some imprindet abilities, depending of what is needed and players settings,...) Anything that will give dead player a chance to affect and be part of fun again.

It hapens to me alot lately, antag is caught/killed, but there is plenty of things to do, like getting station back on track. Autotraitor on 3 hours mark. Blob, sipder infestation... But with many dead players, game is not fun for them anymore so its understandable they want round to end. This would actualy make EXTENDED worthy gamemode.

This is mostly for making game more fun, but im sure someone will come with roleplay stuff as well.

What do you think?

I don't really see the current death consequences as a gameplay problem.

- We already have respawn (on a 20 minute timer which is pretty reasonable)

- We have some amount of post-death roles (very small amount but they're there)

As for how to make death more interesting there was a suggestion to allow ghosts occupy clones (https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10367)

For another concept i think the more IC standpoint on ghost would be interesting to try (lifeweb-esque)

Modify gamemodes, so cultists will have benefits for bringing souls of players into constructs

Cultists can already summon dead players, though as far as I am aware they cannot put them in constructs- If this were possible, it seems like it would be very easy to steamroll the station with large numbers of constructs, and cult does not need this buff.

Wizards to spawn skeleons, or summon guardian spirit/s that will do things.

Certain wizard types can already do this, such as Druids summoning familiars and Necromancers summoning skeletons.

Vampires will spawn ghouls...

Vampire does not need this buff.

Spawn as monsters, blob for example that will spawn (player-controled) slimes.

Xenobiology can summon adamantine golems. Player-controlled blobs may or may not be considered in the future, it is an idea that has crossed the dev team's radar many times but has not been implemented yet.

Some drone that will fly/run around his chosen player(mercenary, sec-officer,captain,...) and protect him and listen to his orders.

pAIs already exist.

Some human creation/"Frankensteins monster"/grown human, taking soul of ghost, putting him back in game

Research can print positronic brains, and can perform experimental surgery to implant them in human bodies (theoretically), or simply construct a cyborg.

It hapens to me alot lately, antag is caught/killed, but there is plenty of things to do, like getting station back on track. Autotraitor on 3 hours mark. Blob, sipder infestation... But with many dead players, game is not fun for them anymore so its understandable they want round to end. This would actualy make EXTENDED worthy gamemode.

While it's understandable that the game may not be fun after you have died, a large amount of these suggestions would be straight buffs to the antagonists or roles that create them, and would drastically affect game balance if it were this easy to recruit dead players into their folds. Even despite that, it's an unfortunate reality that you can and likely will die on any given round, and you are free to either disconnect or wait out your respawn timer to rejoin the round as a new character. These changes are largely unnecessary.

I prefer ghost roles to respawns in about 99% of cases for classical ss13. but they should not be things that influence station activity for the most part.

there's already a 20 minute respawn, just go tab out and take a duce or something and come back with a new character.

tbh I REALLY enjoy being drone, it is kinda wierd.... if you want to have fun as drone I recommend going outside the box and doing big projects and generally helping make people's lives icly better. ((oocly we are all hopeless)). Here are three examples I like to do:

1. Remodel departures with wooden flooring and tables (and recharger)

2. Make cyborg recharger at medbay lobby and place comfy chairs all around the station, replace medbay office tables with glass tables.

3. go around the station and upgrade all the machines, the scientist may hate your guts but the roboticist would love you for it.

overall our current death roles are good, and sometimes admins allow players to get into ghosted bodies.

One Suggestion per Topic

Closing on the above grounds. This suggestion is ridiculously vague and goes all over the place. As has been outlined, there are numerous opportunities for dead players to re-enter the game, and some of your "suggestions" already even exist. If you have a specific idea regarding implementing a specific ghost role, you are encouraged to create a new thread regarding it. Otherwise this suggestion thread is unactionable simply because it is too vague.