[1 dismissal] Readd Immovable Rod Events

Bygonehero

These have been around for awhile but vanished around the time of the second bay merge I believe. Immovable rod events would happen, being signaled by CC announcing: What the hell was that?! Then an immovable rod would move through the station, creating a perfectly straight line. This event could be adapted to take advantage of multi-z stations by making the rod able to hit the station from its sides or from its top or bottom. It was never an overtly destructive event, but it was an interesting one. I think it should be readded.

It was never an overtly destructive event, but it was an interesting one.

Uhhhh, you might be severely misremembering the details behind immovable rod. Immovable Rod not just creates a line through the station. It cuts a line through the station. Any mobs take either massive damage or are gibbed and most if not all structures in the way are either severely damaged or utterly destroyed. Admins used to be able to trigger Immovable Rod event (I don't think we can anymore), but it had a warning prompt asking you if you REALLY wanted to use this for a reason because we're talking everything in that line is going to die and those areas are going to be breached. In fact, I don't remember Immovable Rod ever being a random event because of that.

That being said, no Immovable Rod random event ever, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't make sense now that we're a planetary installation. The fluff used to be the station would plow through the immovable rod because it was in the way. That's not exactly possibly now that we're on the ground unless we want to say that the entire asteroid gets diced in half too.

I cannot think of anything redeemable of this event. While I have not directly witnessed this event, what has been said here and told to me was not something I'm fond of.

You have an item that goes through the station in one line destroying and most likely killing people, even to go as far as to say gib them. I don't believe this event would add more to the narrative in the round and would even needlessly take people out of it. Not to forget the massive amount of damage it can do.

Voting for dismissal.

I think I've seen this event when playing on TG maybe a year ago. It kind of fit the clusterfuck mentality there, but really don't want to see it here.

Maybe a random event that makes an airlock or "line" of airlocks glitch open? Similar to the prison door glitch. They would then need to be rebuilt to properly function or something like that.

It's never been that destructive, while it sounds destructive saying it, having actually seen the event happen many times, I cannot recall it ever causing more than one area from depressurizing. Its even hit people before, and it does not gib them, but it most certainly does damage.

It pierces through every single wall on the station, systematically causing catastrophic venting damage while engineering figures out where the hell the immovable rod started and then ended.

/tg/station's atmospherics are LINDA-based. Their processing is super slow because they don't care for very erratic ventings like we do. There is literally zero effect being in the center of the station when an immovable rod goes through, all that happens is that several walls get busted down.

I don't need to explain how this would change our dynamic, the effects are obvious. Random instant kill mechanics are also retarded. Nobody would remotely consider it worth it to have their character randomly and irreversibly killed and forced to sit out the rest of the round's duration or respawn as some other character they weren't exactly planning on playing to start with. It's contrived and stupid.

• 2 weeks later...