[WIP] Medical Map Changes

BurgerBB

Guest Marlon Phoenix

This map still seems a bit claustrophobic, but it is possible there could be some saving graces that make it tolerable.

1) Align the front airlock with the lobby entrance, cutting out an unnecessary turn.

2) Smash open the wall on the WESTERN cryo storage and replace it with either a third airlock or glass windows.

3) Add virology lab equipment to chemistry :)

Where's the bathroom?

I also agree that the lobby should remain facing north, and the emergency entrance to the west. Yes, that means the emergency entrance is more easily accessed than the lobby-- that's the point. I enjoy this in the new layout. It makes sense and isn't overly debilitating to play.

I was under the impression that people hated the top-entrance medical level. I cannot figure out a way to implement it regardless because it would be compromising the entire design.

fEmhPrr.png

This is the intended flow for medical conditions. Black means dead. Red means critical. Yellow means seriously injured. Green means moderately injured.

I like the roundabout design, the expansive surgery and close proximity of critical care areas. But one problem I find is with the examination rooms, like the four at the bottom. Such rooms are rarely used from what I’ve seen atleast. Great for antag shenanigans but perhaps less so for the triage situations medical often turns into.

Something I propose, although this'd ruin a lot of the work you've already accomplished, would be placing the medical lobby in the north-west corner giving it access to both those corridors while also keeping the EMTs easy access to the rest of the station instead of placing it deeper inside of medical.

This sketch I made up also places the ICU and General Treatment close to the Lobby/EMT station as that is where the majority of patients in critical condition will be carted through. Included is a three wide corridor providing easy access to surgery without people getting cramped, akin to the old map design and your proposal. This sketch is far from perfect but it's just an idea.

vYOkLS7.png

I like the roundabout design, the expansive surgery and close proximity of critical care areas. But one problem I find is with the examination rooms, like the four at the bottom. Such rooms are rarely used from what I’ve seen atleast. Great for antag shenanigans but perhaps less so for the triage situations medical often turns into.

Something I propose, although this'd ruin a lot of the work you've already accomplished, would be placing the medical lobby in the north-west corner giving it access to both those corridors while also keeping the EMTs easy access to the rest of the station instead of placing it deeper inside of medical.

This sketch I made up also places the ICU and General Treatment close to the Lobby/EMT station as that is where the majority of patients in critical condition will be carted through. Included is a three wide corridor providing easy access to surgery without people getting cramped, akin to the old map design and your proposal. This sketch is far from perfect but it's just an idea.

vYOkLS7.png

THIS. Throughout this discussion I've always wondered why not just put both of them on the western wall (lobby and EMT office), this design does that very well.

That said, I have no idea about the actual interior of the medbay, but the entrance areas and chemistry seem to be placed in a great way.

It's true that chemistry doesn't need to be that big, but is the space really needed for anything else? I enjoy that the halls are two tiles wide (so they seem a little more confined than the station primary hallways). I guess you could swap it with the general examination rooms to its right? But I enjoy those being smaller, too...

I also really like that both the lobby AND the EMT garage are on the port side. Finally, Burger's design retains the psych office being upstairs, the ONE thing I like about the Medbay that's currently in use. In total, this looks like a big improvement to me. Ferner's, too - both of these layouts have more direct pipelines for movement (Burger's being a ring, Ferner's being a straight line) than the current messy layout.

• 4 months later...