[1 Dismissal] Remove Random Viruses from Random Events

BurgerBB

Kneejerk reaction here, but honestly random viruses are just awful. They're the worst thing ever when there is a severe lack of medical staff, and/or there is a lack of virology trained professionals.

Most, if not all viruses are crippling in some way, and seriously disrupt the flow of the round. Not many medical players know how to even use spacicilin to treat it, let alone virology itself.

I think the root of the problem should be addressed. Make virology more accessible. Right now it's one of the few departments that 100% relies on other departments to function. Without a chemist/CMO, virology does NOTHING. Make virology able to make it's own chemicals, and Virologists (like myself) will play Virologists more.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I think the root of the problem should be addressed. Make virology more accessible. Right now it's one of the few departments that 100% relies on other departments to function. Without a chemist/CMO, virology does NOTHING. Make virology able to make it's own chemicals, and Virologists (like myself) will play Virologists more.

I am continuing to push for Bio-Chemists, who are a combined job of virology and chemistry, to address the incredible niche-ness of virology.

Random viruses are basically the only thing that makes virology exciting for most, doing this is like banning space carp and other npc events on extended rounds

Space Carp aren't as debilitating as random viruses. Any crewmember can kill/avoid space carp. Not every crewmember can cure a virus.

[mention]BurgerBB[/mention] What I am trying to say is that removing random viruses makes virology useless, after all, why have virology if there is no chance of a virus to spread around the station when the virologist is not a antag, we should not punish a player's enjoyment of a job just because it effects you alot.

Viral Infections are currently present in both the moderate and major event categories. If they're causing such a significant hassle for the crew, they could simply be restricted to the major category. I doubt they're causing more havoc than a major carp migration or blob.

If I am not wrong, Viral infections are also the rarest of all events, so, it is really uncommon for one of them to cause so much trouble.

Events are based on how much personnel are present on the station. Currently with 4 medical personnel, it has a 10% occurance rate when a major event is triggered.

At this rate, let's just remove all random events for optimal gameplay

/s

I fail to see a reason why to remove it, and in my view, really spices things up in any round. Gives viro something to do, and medical needs to be on ttheir toes. It also makes crew weary of getting near each other, making their own quarantine procedures and RP situations.

blobs, carp, strange plants, and meteors are much much MUCH worse

-1 from me

The event isn't as debliterating to the round as implied here. Even presently with the absence of virologist, there are other measures to cure, control or call for outside assistance to deal with it.

Another point is that assuming Jackboots suggestion goes through, the issue of not having enough virologist will presuemebly lessen.

Voting for dismissal.

At this rate, let's just remove all random events for optimal gameplay

/s

I fail to see a reason why to remove it, and in my view, really spices things up in any round. Gives viro something to do, and medical needs to be on ttheir toes. It also makes crew weary of getting near each other, making their own quarantine procedures and RP situations.

blobs, carp, strange plants, and meteors are much much MUCH worse

-1 from me

Blob is much easier to take care of, same with meteor storms. Quarantine doesn't always work because some viruses can be stealthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Voting for dismissal. This event is no more damaging than many other events, and in many cases is even less damaging (to the point of triviality) as the virus is largely randomized. If no one is playing virologist then that is a matter for a different suggestion, as has been gone over in respective suggestion threads.