[1 Dismissal] Civilian workshop space and more improvised weapons

BrianGTFO

Okay, so while I was thinking about work stuff, and how I could entertain myself on my time away from Aurora. Archery came to mind: On the station take X amount of wood and some wire to make a bow, then maybe something with with the arrows along the lines of the handmade bats; Plastic, wood, metal, etcetera etcetera, but have it with arrows for the ammo like in a gun. And they could be treated like the handmade ammo, which you load into a quiver made from leather. I considered suggesting crossbow, but I don't think it could be justified simply do to it being more complex, and doing relatively the same thing it would do with a bow, whose range would probably be a little more then that of a thrown weapon only with a higher chance to hit and embed itself in the target. Its uses would have to be 2 handed only for obvious reasons with the quiver being equipped to the back to help negate its easy use and for immersion sake.

So while thinking on this I figured possibly making a civilian workshop for things being able to be crafted like small action figures they have laying around out of wood on a machine, or possibly through some clever crafting, perhaps with a tool that is found in the workshop, like whittling knife in one hand and stack of wood in the other. And use that to further expand crafts and such like if you want to make a stool, you need the knife, or like, if you want to make it a comfy stool instead then you need the knife. You could add in other civilian classed weapons like a hand saw for crafting plastics, and a hammer for metal. The tools themselves the hammer would be used for bludgeoning damage and the knife for slashing, and you could use the saw to hack limbs off if you were so inclined, only the tools would do a minor amount of damage, while the handsaws limb cutting would take several times over, maybe 2.5 times longer then the already implicated saw, with an added addition to screaming..

Anyway, thats all I had thought up for the moment and haven't put much thought into it since i was doing IRL things, relevant to the suggestion.

Also looked at the previous suggestions, closest that came to it at first glance was the subject of dwarf fortress.

if I did anything wrong, let me know, i'll fix whats needed.

You can make a crossbow in the game already. Wood/wire/battery/metal, in the right order, crossbow that fires metal rods.

I mean... really this is Cargo's job to order these things, or Engineer's jobs to make things. There are tons of improvised weapons. You can make a metal bat and baseball swing people's heads, or you can take the handaxe as a botanist/xenobotanist and chop at people. The chef has a knife, the bartender a shotgun, Scientists can make a myriad of weapons, anyone can take metal and make a knife. There's a lot of primitive weapons available as is.

I know for a fact you can make guns as well out of... well, no exactlyt scrap, but certain materials.

I believe that having a workshop in Engineering would be good, but having it open to the public would fall under something like "don't dick around in the workplace"

We already have the ability to make a large number of improvised weapons.

I also do not like the idea of a "civilian workshop", keep in mind that you are employed by the company to do a specific job.

Why would they provide every employee on the station a place to fiddle around with things during their work hours if there already exists a engineering department on the station which is should be more qualified.

Therefore voting for dismissal

• 2 weeks later...