Remove the ability for stationbounds/AI to interface with external airlocks [2 dismissal;Bin:2018-10-15]

BurgerBB

99% of the time this happens, it just delays the round end and is super annoying. There is very little RP involved, and it's overall regarded as an incredibly dick move.

I propose that the AIs have lost this privilege. By default, external airlocks should have their door's AI control wire cut. The lore explanation will be that it's a safety precaution to prevent any viruses (such as greytide) from accessing the external airlocks.

Like I said in the discord, there are times when the external airlocks to the shuttle get super stuck. I don't know why, and if someone does, please feel free to chime in, but often the AI can just open them all up manually for us so we have time to get on the shuttle. I don't see why this has to be removed. AIs get control of everything on the station for a reason. In the event they get subverted to do something like this, consider it EOR or something if there isn't a solid reason (i.e. ERT Dude: "AI, stop the shuttle from taking off, there's like four zombie-infected guys aboard rn").

But I don't see why this mechanic has to be just completely removed, as it removes the good that comes of it, too.

f4307619c0.png

I disagree with this. If it was escalated prior that rogue bots were already murking people, I think it is permissable for them to endanger the escape shuttle. The escape shuttle is not some magical safe space that wards off all conflict, especially since the rules only try to drive off gank and not merely having combat near or around the departures section.

As it stands, we have rescue robots who have to go out through external airlocks to rescue miners who may be close to them. This would make things harder for average and competent players in order to stop grief, which is sort of the wrong way around. It'd probably be better to get a policy change to make messing with the airlocks (unless needed) explicitly against the rules if that isn't already the case.

As it stands, we have rescue robots who have to go out through external airlocks to rescue miners who may be close to them. This would make things harder for average and competent players in order to stop grief, which is sort of the wrong way around. It'd probably be better to get a policy change to make messing with the airlocks (unless needed) explicitly against the rules if that isn't already the case.

No. The less arbitrary rules to suit uncommon cases, the better.

Every time I have been AI the only time I use external airlocks is when a miner needs let in (which happens a lot more than you think), but even if some people do abuse external airlocks to space people, as long as it is in a manner that follows the rules I see no reason to stop the AI from opening external airlocks, -1.

Every time I have been AI the only time I use external airlocks is when a miner needs let in (which happens a lot more than you think), but even if some people do abuse external airlocks to space people, as long as it is in a manner that follows the rules I see no reason to stop the AI from opening external airlocks, -1.

This. So much this. Miners and Xenoarch getting caught outside because the damn airlock is stuck is a thing that happens.

Gotta vote for dismissal here.

There are quite a few legitimate reasons why the AI has to operate external airlocks.

if the AI is tampering with the departures airlocks and you believe it is unreasonable to do so then ahelp and it will be dealt with.

Gotta vote for dismissal here.

There are quite a few legitimate reasons why the AI has to operate external airlocks.

if the AI is tampering with the departures airlocks and you believe it is unreasonable to do so then ahelp and it will be dealt with.

Echoing this.

Second dismissal vote.

You could just make it so that ONE of the sets of transfer shuttle airlocks starts with AI access cut (I.E. the command-side departure airlock). That way, if the AI has a legitimate need to let people in or out of that dock during the round, they can still do it by using the main and security airlocks, but if the AI is being annoying and just dragging the round on at the end, a head of staff can still just let people board the shuttle from their side.

[mention]Bauser[/mention] ironically when miners fall that airlock is usually how they get in, and I still do not see a good reason to even cut ai access to airlocks even for "security" since they can just vent it via air alarms and all these other methods, and with this argument we should remove that as well.

([mention]Sharp[/mention] ya forgot to format this thread to show that it was 2 dismissals reeee)

[mention]ben10083[/mention]... right, so... you retain AI access for an airlock there so it can let broken miners in, and you cut AI access for a different airlock there so command can let people onto the shuttle if it's try to be an asshole

There are multiple airlocks at that location, is the point

If the command entrance is more useful for miners, make the security entrance the one AI can't operate. Or the main entrance. Any of them.

I still do not see why AIs should have restrictions to certain exterior airlocks, and I believe that AIs should have access to all airlocks to they still have ways to deal with people who are against them, we must keep in mind that the AI is stationary and has little means to defend itself once the station is against them. The scenario that burger described is something that would likely violate our ooc rules, and we should focus on these incidents on a case by case basis instead of restricting external airlocks to all because an AI decided to open them.

• 3 weeks later...