Let chocolate poison Unathi

NebulaFlare

:3

Chocolate contains theobromine, and carnivorous animals (Like dogs and cats) can't ingest this compound as well as humans. Humans, having a very heavy plant-based diet, evolved to break down theobromine relatively quickly - hence why we can eat chocolate.

This got me wondering - Unathi are meat-based eaters. A high dose of theobromine would be pretty dangerous. Theobromine is also similar to caffeine in molecular structure, and caffeine poisons Unathi. They should be poisoned by theobromine as well.

Unless I'm mistaken, caffeine does poison Unathi. Theobromine is not as dangerous as caffeine, so it could cause less poison damage.

It's lethal because it builds up in the body without breaking down. It's not limited to size only.

And while we're at it, ian should die of poisoning if he scarfs down a bar of chocolate...

Nope, caffeine does not poison unathi, it used to poison tajaran due to baymerge, but lore people asked for it to be removed.

Also, common mobs don't process chems, so, I doubt it would be worthy to code some snowflake thing just for a new way to kill Ian.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Alcohol is already toxic to Unathi, and they have a specific alternative to let them still enjoy the bar. I don't really want to make a maze of landmines in terms of nutrition. Unathi have the stomachs to digest plants and fruits and chocolates, they just don't get any nutrition from them. To a Unathi, a healthy salad is the nutritional equivalent of eating a single leaf of kale.

What benefits would this bring to playing as Unathi in terms of roleplay and mechanics?

Alcohol is already toxic to Unathi, and they have a specific alternative to let them still enjoy the bar. I don't really want to make a maze of landmines in terms of nutrition. Unathi have the stomachs to digest plants and fruits and chocolates, they just don't get any nutrition from them. To a Unathi, a healthy salad is the nutritional equivalent of eating a single leaf of kale.

What benefits would this bring to playing as Unathi in terms of roleplay and mechanics?

Are you eating Coco near my Lizard? TO THE CAMPS WIF YOU!!11!!!!!!

Huh. Who was it that told me coffee and tea poisons Unathi?

If caffeine doesn't poison them, then there isn't much reason to have chocolate (or theobromine) poison them. Since their alien stomachs can break it down, well. then it works.

The only argument for it to be considered for addition, is for it to be on the lines of 'you live in alien space' where these alien humans have a delicious delicacy called chocolate/caffeine. Think of how great these two substances are in our culture, and what wonderful stimulants they do to our body chemistry. Heck, the mass transportation of caffeine and chocolate correlates to the the Renaissance. No other species have brain-enhancing stimulants growing on their planet - fuel for the ATLAS fire maybe?

Although now this would work for all alien species, not just Unathi - unless we go back to body chemistry. Making it for Tajara though, would just drag them back into the meme waters of being cats.

I...really just want an excuse as an antag to forcefeed chocolate cake to an Unathi.

It's a myth that cats/dogs can't eat chocolate. They can, but...

You just can't give them a lot of it. It doesn't poison them in how you think, it's just impossible for their short digestive tracts to break down and they die due to their systems being backed up with it. Because they can't get rid of excrement the right way, it poisons their body and kills them. Some dogs can't handle theobromine, though.

Humanoids would likely not have this issue, however.

Huh. Who was it that told me coffee and tea poisons Unathi?

If caffeine doesn't poison them, then there isn't much reason to have chocolate (or theobromine) poison them. Since their alien stomachs can break it down, well. then it works.

The only argument for it to be considered for addition, is for it to be on the lines of 'you live in alien space' where these alien humans have a delicious delicacy called chocolate/caffeine. Think of how great these two substances are in our culture, and what wonderful stimulants they do to our body chemistry. Heck, the mass transportation of caffeine and chocolate correlates to the the Renaissance. No other species have brain-enhancing stimulants growing on their planet - fuel for the ATLAS fire maybe?

Although now this would work for all alien species, not just Unathi - unless we go back to body chemistry. Making it for Tajara though, would just drag them back into the meme waters of being cats.

I...really just want an excuse as an antag to forcefeed chocolate cake to an Unathi.

I was in OOC when you asked this. It looked like somebody was saying "Yes" to something else and you took it as a "yes" to your question. Infact I'm almost certain of it.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

If we want every alien species to have a 'no go' in terms of food, Unathi already have theirs: ethanol. I don't think they'd be happy with additional food being toxic.