[Policy] Remove Internal Affairs or Make Staff Improve It

Azande

I know, we have a policy of fixing things, not removing them.

But hear me out, really, hear me.

Internal Affairs have seen their access increase to include command, and the command channel, meanwhile, they have seen no supplemental job-duty increase, or additional responsibilities. They are not the scary corporate eyes they once were, because CCIA tells them to file incident reports after the shift after every fax, making in game investigations pointless.

CCIA have, at every turn, refused to devolve responsibility to IAA, or assign them tasks, and Admins have also neglected to give them any TLC (not that it's their responsibility anymore, with CCIA existing)

Hell - Internal Affairs aren't even allowed to know what incident reports are open or not, because of the classified rule.

So, Internal Affairs sits exactly where Genetics did, unusable in a sad state, and should be removed until it can be revamped, or should be revamped now.

CCIA have, at every turn, refused to devolve responsibility to IAA, or assign them tasks'

False. Tantamountly false. You have lobbied for IAA powers a long while, and you were a CCIA Xander, and involved in some of the discussions, you know better. But assuming you forgot and were not misleading for dramatic effect. Here is a list.

1. IAA assistance has been trialed and failed. Pre CCIA recorders logging to server.

2. Tasks were given out to IAA that asked for them if we had any. This was pushed for a while. They then stopped asking, so we stopped giving, then logging became a bigger part for oversight by administration. It was never picked up or pushed again.

3. Consideration on after logging has happened at least twice as far as I can recall if not more so. Usually dropped as we have no method of hard data collection that cannot be modified. << You called for one of these before I became lead and had this issue brought up when you were in the CCIA.

4. Taking outside witness statements was considered and dropped for the reasons above.

5. Multi-round IAA investigations were considered but shot down by administration due to oversight issues. << Originally proposed by either Azande or Jackboot if I recall, leaning on the latter.

6. Sept 2016 I specified the responsibility of crew involving an IAA (of which an IAA can post on behalf of the victim, posting after round is still a thing as we cannot 'save' a fax) before coming to the CCIA. IAA involved incident reports are treated with move value and considered more accurate.

7. The CCIA will generally approve any reasoned investigation to continue by an IAA in round.

8. The CCIA will generally take advice and recommendations from in round IAA's who have been involved in complaints, issues, and or incidents up and too punishments with the correct checks and balances done in follow up.

9. The CCIA docking announcement pretty much says we aren't here for your current problems, take them to someone who we pay to give a shit.

As for make staff improve it. I would support if it we had IAAs who actually made an effort to take up olive branches given, too often have I seen it as a nope not good enough we want more power. An have done nothing with it.

The biggest issue when CCIA consider it is un-editable logs for oversight. CCIA recorders save a log to the server, so if anyone makes a staff complaint and says I never said that, there exists a log that cannot be altered. It was an oversight mandate by administration I am in favour of. An IAA lack that capacity. Which has snuffed out a few suggestions.

In round investigations are not pointless, I was kinda hoping to expect them. An got disappointed.

An the main improvement I would love that would help the IAA, is the ability to 'save' select faxes, it would make avowal's complaints and IRs so much easier, and has been internally suggested a few times, and I am unaware of the difficulties that have stalled and or ended all attempts.

But most importantly. the IAA will not improve if the players of IAA don't do anything with it, and the playerbase as a whole won't go to them with their issues. An so if we were to have the ability to save a fax and the transferred data, and IAA still went not enough and we want more. Because at that point they can do almost all the leg work and only checks and balances are needed. Then I would go with remove it entirely. Because it isn't worth feeding a power trip, as it never ends.

You already have authourity, Just no one ever fucking uses it.

^^ I was going to finish with that line as it sounded good, Then I remembered. Worse than that is. Over-assumes their authourity tries to lay one down and gets backslapped for it by command, occasionally tries to double down. Gets pimpslapped by the CCIA, and in the case of Hunter Robinson. [Perma ban due to other issues repeat step one and two upon returning] Triples down, pinning someone to a wall and threatens to torture them, and is violent in trying to anyone trying to stop him. Then quadruples down making up a fake CCIA to the CCIA Agents, on the record. Pentuples?even a word? down and says the agent he knows ranks higher than the CCIA leader, and no one has the authourity to stop him in his quest. He was going to forever prison before they managed to earn another permaban.

Don't be a Hunter Robinson guys. It brings down the whole IAA a notch.

You already have authourity, Just no one ever fucking uses it.

Can we please get a defined version of this 'authority' , because CC announcements say Internal Affairs have no authority, as do staff, as do Station Command. If I am IAA and I see a crew member doing something wrong, I cannot speak to them directly, I must instead hope they have a head of staff, or bother the captain, and if the Head of Staff agrees with their crew member, then i am expected to fax central over something that might be as simple as being out of uniform.

Regarding the technical issues.

From what I saw the following would be needed:

• Give IA Agents a way to save a unalterable record of the conversation recorded.
  • Add the ability to save certain faxes

Anything else I have missed [mention]ForgottenTraveller[/mention] ?

You can get a partially defined version of this authority. As it relate to the CCIA, as a liaison with the station from CC, you mandate for looking after NT interests by helping with crew information requests on regulations or company positions, informing crew, making recommendations if you feel an action conflicts with NT goals, investigations, conflict resolution, and intermediary assistance is broad, capable of change and would take hours to create in the correct level of detail. *addition before posting* Given all the effort and time referencing, collating, and explaining what as an ex-CCIA Azande should know and information everyone will have had access to at some point and most have access to at any point. I will not be responding to a nitpick quoting any of this, especially on grammatical or spelling errors. If you take issue, I expect details and sources (NOT QUOTES). Especially from Azande given two unsubstantiated claims already that are almost entirely false on all counts. That said. Here is the IAA defined.

The Internal Affairs agent is a company liaison within an individual installation or vessel to maintain in these possibly isolated communities the cohesive ideals that is NanoTrasen Inc. Internal Affairs has the authourity to engage in crew information requests on regulations or company positions, informing crew, making recommendations if they feel an action conflicts with NT goals, investigations, conflict resolution, and intermediary assistance. The agency is expected to maintain ideals within the community without outside assistance as possible. The agents have the right to a method of contacting more centralized command structures within the company when needed. Centralized Internal Affairs structures assume that actions within the installation or vessel, or information provided by local branches is reasonable, and accurate until contested by local command structures for review.

Now lets cover your example. In short. Wrong, right, wrong, wrong, wrong, and. Wrong.

CC announcements say you do have authority, elsewhere it does mention station command, Captain is specified as most were not bloody acknowledging their authority. You are right in that Random crew don't have authority. They have rights. IA have the authority investigate and speak up about seeing them upheld. Command has the expectation to uphold them.

You can speak to them directly, no where has it ever stated as near as I can recall otherwise, if that isn't in your head I want the source because that needs fixed if it exists.

A head of a department manages a department, if they are there, you are expected to involve them as you are introducing yourself as a variable into their department which can effect what they are trying to do and the outcomes they are looking to achieve. They can also remove someone from their department, or you know order them to comply (i111 Failure to Execute an Order) with your recommendations.

If they don't agree with you and see fit to continue ignoring an order they are to uphold the HoD is neglecting their duties in following command orders. Which you would bring to security, then a captain. Given it is a minor regulation a captain could contest the need as they are running a station as the see it is needed.

At that point you may if you really want to die on that hill, contact Central over command failing to uphold corporate standards. An how this particular incident is a danger to NT's interests. Because if you are going over a captain captaining there best be a risk involved because you are contacting a central office on inappropriate attire. Which in most cases isn't worth their time to even reply too.

Sources notes.

Generally https://byond.aurorastation.org/ccia/generalnotice - note this is behind a command whitelist lock, relevant articles are below in full

Internal Affairs Investigations - On the automatic roster

This is a reminder that personnel are expected to cooperate with Internal Affairs investigations, especially those ordered by command staff or Central Command. Anybody who impedes an Internal Affairs investigation, whether through action or inaction, will be penalized.

Authourity to investigate. Check. Power boost if ordered by command staff. Ultra boost when upped by CC. No power denial here, exact opposite

Incident Reports - On the automatic roster

This is a reminder that the Central Command Internal Affairs Bureau will only investigate workplace incidents that are reported in the form of an end-of-shift Incident Report.

If a crew member has complaints or issues with co-workers that cannot be resolved during the shift, he or she should file an NCF-0115 Incident Report with their facility's Internal Affairs Agent, or directly with the CCIA Bureau upon arrival at NTCC Odin.

Internal affairs resolves issues and can be an excellent intermediary between command and CC and crew to crew, command was expected to get involved in incident report resolutions due to the lack of IAAs. It wants an attempt made. 'that cannot be resolved during the shift'

Excerpt from point 7 of the Incident report guidlines.

You are expected to try and find a resolution to situations in round within the chain of command. You may seek for further action on an issue through an IR. Attach what investigation findings you can in the additional info section. Making no effort into resolving an issue, may cause the incident report to be closed without investigation unless a very good reason is specified.

https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=7021

Doubling down on attempting to resolve an issue, which IAAs are your go too for if it is not a cut and dry regulations issue for sec.

Internal Affairs Authority - On the automatic roster

This is a reminder that Internal Affairs Agents may not authorize arrests or search warrants, but may advise Internal Security of regulations regarding procedure and paperwork. Internal Affairs Agents also serve to forward any Central Command orders on to other departments.

You can't authourize warrants or do the security paperwork that particular security staffers have to do themselves for accountability. That is the restriction. You are IAAs not Security lite. This came about after some IAA's wanted guns and wanted to play officer as they had the security channel.

Uniform Regulation - On the automatic roster

Personnel are reminded that regulation requires uniform jumpsuits to be worn rolled up. Tajaran crew members are excepted from this requirement, but are required to wear a non-revealing undershirt or tank top that does not bare the chest.

Personnel failing to meet these requirements are in violation of regulations, and are subject to fines, detention, or other applicable penalties.

In regards to your point on uniform, IAA's can intercede as they see fit to try an dissuade people from violating the uniform reg, but the announcement details a possible security response which the IAA cannot due to not having warrant power. But most of the time sec won't want to bother with this low level stuff, so getting the offender onto it or hold officers to account to keep the place up to standard and failing that reporting them for neglect is within your purview. Possible regulations it can fall under.

i105 Indecent Exposure - Put your tits/manboobs back in your top you are at work.

i111 Failure to Execute an Order - This is an order from CC to wear your uniform, if you are out of appropriate attire, you are failing it

i201 Failure to Execute an Order with Serious Consequences - Some jumpsuits have protections and act like personal protective equipment (PPE) or used too/icly do. A sec one has more padding, you could get very hurt in comparison. Or contaminate food in the kitchen, or get sick in medical.

i206 Neglect of Duty - Not using your PPE causing you to do a less than satisfactory job due to your inadequate dress

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Corporate_Regulations

Central Command Internal Affairs Agent Visit - Used as needed

A CCIA Agent is preparing to board the station as part of an ongoing internal investigation. The station is expected to operate as normal, and to allow the agent to perform his or her work quickly and efficiently.

The agent is not coming aboard to receive new reports or complaints, or to assume command of any station operations.

As normal, which as listed above, means IA investigations continue as normal. Incidents and complaints continue as normal.

Captain Authority - On the automatic roster

This is a reminder that the station's assigned Captain has full authority over the operation of the station. He or she is authorized to shut down departments at their discretion, reassign crew members, issue direct orders to all crew members on the station, and take actions within reason that may violate regulations in non-standard situations.

The Captain is loyalty implanted, and is therefore trusted to act in the best interests of the company, crew, and station he or she is assigned to. Any complaints or concerns over the Captain's decisions should be addressed after their orders have been carried out, and after the situation that prompted those orders has been resolved.

Thank you for outlining this - So a Head of Staff that does not implement the reasonable suggestions of Internal Affairs could be construed as not following the order of someone that represents Central?

As well - While I knew MOST of this in theory, I am hardly a reputable source and I prefer to have solid documentation to show to people, if they try to stop me from working.

No. The uniform is a standing order from the Central Command. Command staff have been selected expecting them to lead in the best interests in the company. The Head of a department has no obligation to follow a suggestion, they are suggestions. If they are violating regulations and central mandates that changes the landscape.

IDEA: Add an alternate IAA role that doesn't have a loyalty implant and have it be a Union Officer, or a Lawyer :^) - They could act on behalf of the crew, instead of like IAA where they're always neutral or pro-company.

Implying nanotrasen would even allow unions >>

This seems like the perfect opportunity to replace IAA with WIP: Operations Officer.

There job would be attempt to ensure that the station is making money I.E actually printing and shipping off new gear, medicine, ore, food, produce etc. Have the suited up and allow them to carry out audits and feedback any "inefficiency" to cent com.

Sort of evolving into a different suggestion to be honest but meh.

I think with Forgotten's clarification on IAA's role, and their authority - I am comfortable with this suggestion being closed. I encourage those with the suggestion about Operations to make new threads, as that sounds cool. I think Internal Affairs can be useful now, if players will take up the mantle.

[mention]Arrow768[/mention] can this be binerino'd?