[1 Dismissal] Buff infections

Scheveningen

Infections are not that debilitating as it stands, nor an actual threat to anyone who purposefully heads into combat and doesn't receive medical treatment. It's only a serious problem when it starts spreading to internal organs, which is generally uncommon. Space pathogens should be more dangerous given how viruses will have developed in the next 242 years.

My suggestions for the particular conditions it should have for infections to be actually taken seriously:

• Escalating pain damage dealt to the carbon mob based on severity of infection. The longer it goes untreated, the more painful it becomes.
  • At a mild threshold, the individual begins to have warning messages declaring their serious pain in any of their particular limbs. If it's an internal organ that's infected, it'll either point to the chest or the head so as to not give the infected individual a complete idea as to what is hurting right away.
  • At a serious threshold, the infected individual should start losing consciousness and having trouble being functional at all. Infected limbs should also act as if they are broken beyond a certain threshold, with collapsing or failure to being able to properly hold items, or experiencing much more pain than usual (in reference to the chest or the head.)
  • After a severe threshold, certain infections cannot be treated by spaceacillin and either the person needs the limb amputated or a surgery procedure to revive necrotic organs needs to be done utilizing peridaxon. For necrotic limbs, instead bicaridine and spaceacillin must be administered to regenerate the limb.
  • After an extremely high threshold, if a necrotic infection goes completely untreated, the mob should suffer exponentially escalating toxin damage leading to their immediate death.
  • Make spaceacillin slightly slower than normal in treating infection rating. The less progressed the infection is, the easier time spaceacillin has in fighting the infection given how weak it is. The stronger it is, the less efficiency it has per unit.
  • Bandages and gauze should have much lower chances of treating infections from wounds than the advanced trauma/burn kits. First aid should be just that, first aid to stabilize a person before they toddle off to the medical bay to ensure they don't have life-threatening infections.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Infections are a major killer of antagonists because they don't have access to necessary medical treatment. They are slow burning killers, which is their intention. As an antagonist I've managed to escape several fights only to be killed or crippled by a runaway infection.

Making them require even MORE advanced treatment would be a pain in the butt, and this would NOT bring enjoyment and roleplay to rounds or interactions. I cannot tell or experience a good story when I am laying on the floor in crit with all of my organs rotting out from infections.

Infections are a major killer of antagonists because they don't have access to necessary medical treatment. They are slow burning killers, which is their intention. As an antagonist I've managed to escape several fights only to be killed or crippled by a runaway infection.

Making them require even MORE advanced treatment would be a pain in the butt, and this would NOT bring enjoyment and roleplay to rounds or interactions. I cannot tell or experience a good story when I am laying on the floor in crit with all of my organs rotting out from infections.

Maybe get shot less? Since it sounds like it's an issue with your playstyle if you're concerned about dying from getting hit in combat.

I do support the idea of a better infection system. Its pretty useless as is unless you take 100 some burn damage or you leave deep gashes to heal for themselves.

Infections at a Acute/Septic stage are a huge hassle to deal with (As they should be), but the amount of time it takes for it to get to that point is way too long, if you compare it to say.. Decaying limbs and organs.

Iirc, having septic limbs and/or organs will cause you to rapidly ramp up toxin damage, which will kill you sooner than later, and it needs constant supervision to prevent death if all saveable.

Again, supportive of this suggestion and would love to see infections getting a tweak.

Maybe get shot less? Since it sounds like it's an issue with your playstyle if you're concerned about dying from getting hit in combat.

If you are an antagonist who is actually antagonising, there is a good chance you are going to get shot. All an antagonist needs to be absolutely shut down is one unlucky hit from a ballistic weapon, and now you want to add the same function to laser rifles?

"get gud" is hardly a good response to what Jackboot said, because no matter how good you are, and especially if you try to RP more, you are going to get shot.

If you are an antagonist who is actually antagonising, there is a good chance you are going to get shot.

if you pick your fights incorrectly and insist on shooting with 3 people present and 2 more around the corner, yeah, you're gonna get annihilated.

All an antagonist needs to be absolutely shut down is one unlucky hit from a ballistic weapon, and now you want to add the same function to laser rifles?

Non-antagonists are equally as susceptible to bullets and lasers.

"get gud" is hardly a good response to what Jackboot said

"get good" is a response to people who cannot deal with consequences being attached to every action they perform.

especially if you try to RP more, you are going to get shot.

sweeping generalization, citation needed. If you want to not get shot, 1. don't give someone reason to, 2. take every action necessary to not get shot.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

How available is medical treatment when you are an antagonist? How easily have you been able to treat damage and wounds as they are now, and how will you manage to treat them if this suggestion came to fruit? Would it increase your and other's enjoyability? Do you find suffering from infection enjoyable?

I pack medical treatment if I feel I need it or if my team needs it as an antagonist. Especially important for heister teams and mercenary teams. Medical treatment fixes mistakes and provided you do not die in a single firefight, and it keeps other people from not dying. Not dying and your team not dying creates an invisible pressure in the minds of the security team that they're going to have to fight extremely hard to take down a team with the ability to heal themselves and keep their own numbers active. This is the same for individual antagonists. It's important to pick your fights, do your best to come out on top, and if you get hurt you need to administer medical treatment to yourself immediately. Not doing so leads to other consequences.

If I do not pack immediate medical treatment and get heavily scarred by laser burns, that is my fault and I should take responsibility for not playing better and not packing sustain to stay alive. You only get one life in most circumstances. I enjoy getting my ass kicked as much as I enjoy kicking ass. When I get my ass kicked in-game it gives me the opportunity to look back on what I could've done better to prevent dying in the round. Such as, not taking as many hits in combat, packing back-ups tools in the likely event an obstacle is in my way and avoiding making decisions with too much risk and too little reward. If you die in the round, 99% of the time it was because of something within your control to prevent or outright avoid. The best way to survive is not to get hit in the first place.

An unfortunate playstyle I often see because of the lack of real consequence in most situations is people taking unnecessary risks due to their ambitious and uncontrolled manner. They rush into situations without thinking and only care about coming out on top, they don't care about the how of it, they assume if they can blitz their enemy, they will catch their opponent off-guard and come out on top because the opponent couldn't react well enough.

A baton-rushing security officer should be punished more for rushing a traitor with a laser gun without thinking. Even if the officer beats the traitor to death, they shouldn't be able to shrug off their infections for a half hour to an hour straight before suffering actual consequences. Swap the two around for similar circumstances, the logic should be the same. Combat should be tough and punishing. It should reward people who approach combat by thinking ahead and planning against factors that threaten their plans, and punish people who only play traitor just to rush conflict. Likewise for anyone who also has the mindset but plays it as a non-traitor!

I am not in favor of that suggestion for the following reasons:

• I don't see a infection going to the point that you need to amputate a limb within a timeframe of a few hours.
  • While you have the option to prepare for almost anything as antag, packing additional gear to prepare for these issues you might encounter will reduce the amount of other gear you can carry
  • It also increases the difficulty for antags much more than it does for a sec officer that tries to rush mercs / heisters with a batton. (The officer can just be sent off to the medbay for treatment, surgery, ... Antags usually dont have that option.)

Therefore voting for dismissal

• 3 months later...