[2 dismissals; Archive: 30.10.2017].Provide a bodyguard for the merchant

alexpkeaton

All right. First of all, can we tone it down a degree or two?

Second, I am legitimately asking this: what is a lone merchant's defense against a cultist with a stun paper that he doesn't see coming? Within a minute, merchant could be converted. Within 90 seconds, the ship is on its way to the station. And that's if you don't do what I did as cultist and ask for a "tour" of his station and blindside him there with all the time in the world to convert him.

How does a merchant defend against a glare or stun paper? I really don't see how they do unless an innocent bystander witnesses the goings-on. The dock is so far removed from a well-trafficked area it is very possible an ambush could be done without anyone else knowing a thing. Much more likely if you have compatriots in the hallway as lookouts/running interference/stalling for time.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You are asking for a bodyguard to defend against a single cited game mechanic.

A bodyguard will do nothing to protect the merchant against instant stuns, I can guarantee this. As a cultist I will just need to bring two.

For what it's worth, I do think strength in numbers is worth something, and that something is more valuable than a bigger gun.

I have successfully converted a merchant. Others will happen. I certainly don't want the result of round after round of merchants being overcome by antags to be "Merchant has access to all the gunz, antagz get them every round plz nerf."

I guess we will see what happens. Merchants will get more wise and maybe we won't have them be overcome as much later on. Security will get more wise and increase patrols on the surface. Maybe this will be a non-issue. But I am putting my chip down now that the merchant should not have his wares selection nerfed because his business can get jacked easily. There are other potential solutions too, perhaps a code word implant that immediately launches the shuttle or beams out the merchant when spoken. Or giving the merchant a death alarm implant so that everyone on general comms can hear where and when the merchant dies (won't help for conversion antags though). I think this issue will have to be addressed at some point down the road, but, again, I could be mistaken.

The merchant is certainly the most unique and well-polished new SS13 mechanic I've seen, and to me, it is worth ensuring no one can raise legitimate balance issues that might end up taking away some of that luster.

For what it's worth, I do think strength in numbers is worth something, and that something is more valuable than a bigger gun.

Unless it's a pretty big gun you know how to use properly, and there is no defense against a knowledgeable and robust player besides being more robust than them. Pretty much the only answer you're gonna get here to the query you posed.

Unless it's a pretty big gun you know how to use properly, and there is no defense against a knowledgeable and robust player besides being more robust than them. Pretty much the only answer you're gonna get here to the query you posed.

Yeah lets face it a robust merchant with a weapon has terrifying as a laser Gatling gun would be a threat to even mercs let alone a cultist.

Also I still think this is just being proposed so there are more of a chance to at least work with or BE the merchant.