[2 dismissals; Bin 2.12]Add Flashlights and Radios to the SecTec Dispenser

Fortport

I feel like putting mag lights in lockers could work, but there should still be some on the table, because otherwise detectives/CSI will snatch them from Cadet's. And the thing is, a mag light is the closest thing a regular Cadet has as a lethal weapon. All it takes is someone with a gasmask/voidsuit and a set of sunglasses nabbed from maint or given to them for their job to basically make the Cadet unable to combat him, unless the Cadet is really good at CQC (which, given he's a Cadet...) or has a mag light.

TL;DR Not all of them should be in lockers.

if you need more things, get to cargo or somewhere else to print.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Autolathe

You can't print a maglight in an autolathe, unless it's one of the hacked items.

But even then, that would require a hacked autolathe, which would mean badgering an engineer to hack an autolathe for you, so it can print your maglight.

And maglights are an important piece of Security equipment for a few reasons, some of which I've already stated:

• They're the closest thing Cadets get to a fallback/lethal option
  • They have much longer range than other lights in-game, making them ideal for seeing down the long corridors of Maint during a sweep, or spotting someone in the dark from a distance away.
  • Other lighting options, such as the heavy duty or regular flashlight, have nowhere near the distance of a Maglight, though tend to be more wide, making them more ideal for lighting large wide darkened areas, rather than in tight long corridors

I've never once seen anyone use maglights as a 'fallback melee weapon'. I'm not denying it happens, but these lights are being issued so you can see in the dark, not as a 'fallback/lethal' option for cadets.

What you've got going there is some kind of weird gamer mentality that thinks cadets are obligated to have flashlights so they have something to bludgeon people with if they are in trouble. That... no, sorry. That's not what the maglights are for, much like how the toolboxes available for public use are not there to be emergency combat weapons, regardless of whether people use them that way. This argument feels to me like asking more public access toolboxes to be mapped in so assistants have a self defense option.

That aside... from what you say, maglights seem to provide such a vision advantage to security over everyone else that I think having to ration what you have properly is a much better situation than being able to just print out infinite maglights or grab extras from storage. You start with a small number of them, and if your team can't work together to optimally use them, oh well. That sucks. There are plenty of other lighting options to pick from that still work. Security members aren't obligated to have the most powerful flashlight in the game just by being in security.

Regarding the need to ration your maglights, why? Everyone else can get normal flashlights from the tool storage, and the ability to get more maglights from a machine couldn't hurt necessarily. I would love to see them be more plentiful, as they're really not much better and fit the aesthetic of security.

I've never once seen anyone use maglights as a 'fallback melee weapon'. I'm not denying it happens, but these lights are being issued so you can see in the dark, not as a 'fallback/lethal' option for cadets.

What you've got going there is some kind of weird gamer mentality that thinks cadets are obligated to have flashlights so they have something to bludgeon people with if they are in trouble. That... no, sorry. That's not what the maglights are for, much like how the toolboxes available for public use are not there to be emergency combat weapons, regardless of whether people use them that way. This argument feels to me like asking more public access toolboxes to be mapped in so assistants have a self defense option.

The maglight deals as much damage as a harmbaton. I'm not saying Cadets should have them to beat everyone they see doing something wrong, but what if a Cadet is cornered by a Space Bear, or a spider, or a carp that got in the station somehow?

And like I said earlier, a single guy with any form of gasmask or voidsuit, along with easily obtainable sunglasses, would basically make the cadet's tools of a flash and pepperspray useless. And while most of these situations could be solved with CQC skill, Cadets usually aren't experienced enough to outskill any of those things.

The maglight deals as much damage as a harmbaton. I'm not saying Cadets should have them to beat everyone they see doing something wrong, but what if a Cadet is cornered by a Space Bear, or a spider, or a carp that got in the station somehow?

And like I said earlier, a single guy with any form of gasmask or voidsuit, along with easily obtainable sunglasses, would basically make the cadet's tools of a flash and pepperspray useless. And while most of these situations could be solved with CQC skill, Cadets usually aren't experienced enough to outskill any of those things.

Cadets are assigned to Officers for a reason. They aren't suppose to be thwacking people in the head; that's the job of Officers.

I would actually support this if you remove the maglight damage buff and just keep the lighting buff. You shouldn't rely on using a night-vision enhancement tool as a weapon anyways IMO. Their purpose isn't even to modify a force applied to them in manual tools like crowbars or wrenches and such. They should have no way to deal more damage since they're literally a advanced tech flashlight, thus made to be brighter and also lighter (less mass, less brute damage as a blunt weapon)

Hmm, interesting. However, counterpoint...

-Cadets are essentially just slightly elevated civilians. They get to hang around in security and have a couple little self-defense tools, but they don't get any of their big toys and they certainly shouldn't go into the game with the mentality 'gosh, I need better toy to do my job because a gas mask renders me useless'. They're trainees that are supposed to follow an officer around to assist them and learn, nothing more.

-If you are a cadet cornered alone by a bear, carp, or spider, then... well, rip you. You're basically as helpless as anyone outside of security. Where is your officer that you're supposed to be assigned to? Maybe call for help? You aren't owed a glorified bludgeon just in case you get into trouble any more than the rest of the crew is.

-If the only thing you're going into battle with against a bear is a flashlight, then you're not going to come out so hot. It'll maybe save you from one or two fish, but come on, let's be real.

I would actually support this if you remove the maglight damage buff and just keep the lighting buff. You shouldn't rely on using a night-vision enhancement tool as a weapon anyways IMO. Their purpose isn't even to modify a force applied to them in manual tools like crowbars or wrenches and such. They should have no way to deal more damage since they're literally a advanced tech flashlight, thus made to be brighter and also lighter (less mass, less brute damage as a blunt weapon)

I didn't even know they had such brute force. Wouldn't really care if it was nerfed, as I've always beaten my enemies some other way when I needed to.