Vaurca Lore Development Diary

So, by the by, today Za'Akaix'Tlexa Zo'Ra actually got two Heads of Staff (Joseph Hartsock, HoS, and Dina Hegarty, Captain) to sign off on his responsibility and promotion papers to Security Officer! Is this permanent?

According to the Avowal of Responsibility CCIA Notice:

Recent regulation changes now mandate that Vaurcae personnel seek out their Head of Staff or Captain during standard operations with the new Corporate Form "NCF-0114 Avowal of Responsibility". Vaurcae personnel are responsible for the initiative to seek out promotion if they feel they are qualified.

Heads of Staff are to familiarize themselves with this new Corporate Form as the regulations are already in effect.

Completed forms are to be sent to the Central Command Internal Affairs Bureau and will be saved and reviewed.

How this is supposed to work is we either get faxed the paper by central command, or otherwise get a screenshot of the paper or just all around get proof that it was done somehow. Then we put it into your CCIA records so that all heads of staff can see it in the CCIA section of your employment records. It is permanent and carries between shifts.

I was present when Captain Hegarty faxed the papers in, though I couldn't stick around long enough to see if there was a reply.

• 4 months later...

Can you provide more info on Vaurca warriors?

As in, mentality towards combat and in combat? Fighting fair, or fighting to win? Any guidelines to honor(if it exists) and things they'd never do.(like leave a fellow warrior behind for their own survival?)

I mean, warriors are about fighting, no? Bred for combat. Does it affect their mentality?

Do they have human 'friends'?

As in, mentality towards combat and in combat? Fighting fair, or fighting to win? Any guidelines to honor(if it exists) and things they'd never do.(like leave a fellow warrior behind for their own survival?)

I mean, warriors are about fighting, no? Bred for combat. Does it affect their mentality?

I imagine Vaurca Warriors strive to perform as efficiently as possible. If this means fighting fair, they would, if this means fighting to win, they would, if it means leaving someone behind or adhering to 'honor' they would. They are not concerned with moralities as so much as the end result. They are given an objective from the higher castes, and it is their job to complete it as efficiently as possible. In instances where combat is unprompted from higher castes, I imagine they retain this efficiency to finish the combat situation as quickly and with as few resources as possible.

For Vaurca, combat is a means to an end, and as the wiki states there is virtual zero sense of competition or sport in fighting. As such, not only do Vaurca "play to win", they have really non native concept of "fighting fair". To them, winning for their hive is the only fairness there is. There are no bushidos are chivalric codes for Vaurca warriors, and the taboo for them is the same for all Vaurca - essentially, serve the Hive and worship the queens. The wiki does elaborate however on some more specific taboos that apply to all Vaurca but especially warriors;

All Vaurcae considered civilized respect the authority each Hive has over its own Vaurcae, for example in times of war the abduction of other Vaurcae is frowned upon, and the killing of another hive's Lesser Queens or ultimate Queen is especially taboo.

In regards to "never leave a soldier behind", that depends on the nature of the conflict. Two warrior Vaurca that are Unbound may become comrades, and as such value one another's life. So long as their behaviour does not blatantly contradict the Hive's wishes, there is no real reason for them not to fight in the interest of mutual survival. That said, a Vaurca warrior is unlikely to go Rambo because his buddy was captured by Li'idra, and equally unlikely to really deviate from the objective too much.

Warriors certainly have a distinct mentality.

Whether they have human friends or not really depends on how likeable they are.