Questions about transportation

Guest Complete Garbage

Guest Complete Garbage

Hello

Most of these will be directed at Jackboot, because he seems to be the most familiar with economy-related lore. However, I'd also appreciate answers from species lorekeepers in regards to how these questions relate to their respective species. Here goes:

Section 1: Personal Vehicles

a. Do most people have shuttlecars? Is it like a middle-class thing, or do you have to be moderately wealthy to own one?

b. What do people use for normal planetary transportation? Normal cars(, presumably advanced electric ones?)

c. How much does a small one-man ship capable of warp travel cost(approximately)?

Section 2: Commercial Transportation

a. Is there such a thing as a shuttletruck? A shuttletrain? Are there space elevators?

b. How is most freight transported planetarily? By maglev? Normal semi-trucks?

Section 3: Passenger Transportation

a. Are there shuttletaxis? Shuttlebuses? Normal buses?

Section 4: Interplanetary/Interstellar Transportation

a. How much does it cost(appx.) to move one ton of normal freight between planets(for example, Earth to Mars)? What about between systems(for example, Tau Ceti to Sol, pre-embargo)?

b. How much does it cost(appx.) for a passenger with standard accommodations(like economy class on an airplane) to move between planets(for example, Earth to Mars)? What about between systems(for example, Tau Ceti to Sol, pre-embargo)?

c. How does distance affect these costs? Multiplicatively? Exponentially? By what factor? What other variables come into play when calculating cost(i.e bluespace beacons, warp vs. BS travel, etc)?

Thanks in advance for sating my curiosity. Feel free to add more questions below if you have them.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
Section 1: Personal Vehicles

a. Do most people have shuttlecars? Is it like a middle-class thing, or do you have to be moderately wealthy to own one?

Public transportation is accessible and cheap - shuttles can take you from place to place or you just take a bus, or a subway. Cars exist and I imagine they're at least a lower middle class thing and more of a social status thing.

b. What do people use for normal planetary transportation? Normal cars(, presumably advanced electric ones?)

Yes of course. They should all be electric, though.

c. How much does a small one-man ship capable of warp travel cost(approximately)?

Depends on how nice the ship is, I suppose! Equate it to buying a large truck - do you want a cheap used one that leaks engine oil or do you want a sleek one? Since you get shuttle service (at least to the destination that matters: the station) you'd need some sort of good reason to buy your own personal spaceship.

For reference, our economy page has this section for weekly expenses.

What does your character drive?

A luxurious sports car. - 1,000 credits

A decent retail car. - 800 credits

A used car. - 400 credits

Public transit. - 100 credits

Section 2: Commercial Transportation

a. Is there such a thing as a shuttletruck? A shuttletrain? Are there space elevators?

Yes, yes, yes. For land travel between cities they would just be... Trucks with wheels? Or cargo planes! If it leaves the ground 'shuttle' is a good catch-all.

b. How is most freight transported planetarily? By maglev? Normal semi-trucks?

Depends on the planet! Biesel has many oceans and oceanside cities, so a lot of things would be transported in bulk by the sea. Shuttles can also carry things quickly like cargo planes. Or, yes, semi-trucks or mag-trains. It also depends on the development level of the colony we're talking about - the farther out you go in human space, the less sleek tech you tend to see.

Section 3: Passenger Transportation

a. Are there shuttletaxis? Shuttlebuses? Normal buses?

Yes, and ones with wheels also exist. Traffic is the same as our terrestrial traffic but it's all electric, and there's traffic flying over your head too.

Section 4: Interplanetary/Interstellar Transportation

a. How much does it cost(appx.) to move one ton of normal freight between planets(for example, Earth to Mars)? What about between systems(for example, Tau Ceti to Sol, pre-embargo)?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Exact numbers on this has never been fleshed out because there's nothing to represent it, and calculating tonnage and shipping fees isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

b. How much does it cost(appx.) for a passenger with standard accommodations(like economy class on an airplane) to move between planets(for example, Earth to Mars)? What about between systems(for example, Tau Ceti to Sol, pre-embargo)?

A median of 100 credits gets you transport, and just add more credits the farther you want to go - like 10 credits a stop or something.

c. How does distance affect these costs? Multiplicatively? Exponentially? By what factor? What other variables come into play when calculating cost(i.e bluespace beacons, warp vs. BS travel, etc)?

Bluespace gates make galactic travel a breeze in their connected systems. You just pay a fee to use the gates. You can go from sol to tau ceti in a few hours - factoring in space traffic. Bluespace drives are the same, but they are VERY expensive.

Thanks in advance for sating my curiosity. Feel free to add more questions below if you have them.