NanoTransen and Xenobiological Experiments

Okay so this is something I've been trying to wrap my head around for a bit.

What does NT Consider a transformative Xenobiological experiment? Turning yourself into a slime or more using genetics? What about brain transplants into alien bodies?

Why does NT consider these types of experiments death?

Is there any recourse for someone who's undergone any of these experiments?

This is all subject to lorebean correction, but since I recently re-wrote that announcement I'll attempt to explain.

So far as I know, "transformative xenobiological experiment" refers to someone turning themselves into a slime/slimeperson, or turning other people into slimes/slimepeople. There is no way back from this procedure as it stands, and someone in a slimeperson state would not be allowed to return to galactic society because they're an unknown xenoform at that point.

Since it can't be biologically proven that the person is who they claim they are anymore, they are legally dead as far as the company is concerned. The crew member's employment contract is terminated, and the remaining non-crew lifeform becomes property of the company. Conveniently, it is already on a research station with containment pens, and conveniently, NT is interested in exploiting it to probably produce phoron somehow!

Since it's usually not canon (due to permanent character death/termination) I can't be certain, but people also suppose that these xenoforms eventually lose their higher cognitive functions after a while and start behaving like slimes. No matter how you slice it, it's a one-way and unpleasant journey, and if you do it to yourself/someone else it is effectively suicide/murder.

Other experiments, like genetics tampering and transplants, can be cleared with the appropriate paperwork. If Command approves and legal liability is waived in regards to NT, it's possible to proceed with most things. Generally, these experiments are not canon anyway, since characters are not altered round to round.

Edited by Guest
  • 5 months later...

Yeah I wrote a bit that surprisingly ended up canonized (praise Nar'sie, Jackboot & Muncorn) and some in-game books on the Origins of Slime that cover the mutation toxins. The green slime core toxin, while it produces the slimepeople, is actually just the internal cell spores of a slime unable to make a proper blobular membrane and eventually leads to the subject being digested and all out gibbing as the epidermis dissolves and they lack the structural integrity to stay clumped, so it is absolutely terminal (even if it may take longer than the actual shift, either way no survivors) and they'd have to reboot ya from the clone record at Odin. While the advanced black mutation toxin can produce a membrane and turns you into a fully fledged slime, which should not be all that intelligent or have full memory of being alive.

Folks who maintain full intelligence as either a slimeperson or slime are just roleplaying their situation wrong, hardly surprising as no good xenobiologist would just slime themselves just as no good chemist would just OD themselves on mercuric lithium monosucrate or really touch the stuff (unless getting krunkenly rekt at a station party). If they do, then they should know that as Synnono says perfectly higher cognitive functions are lost and as they argue that they're fine, just tell them that's their CNS breaking down so they aren't feeling it and get 'em chucked in a containment cell, as the noob gets pissed and resists (as they do) just tell 'em that's the slime taking over. Slimes are primordial ancestors to life and just want to glomp, replicate and evolve like the giant protozoa they are.

I am still working on Xenogenetics which is a solution to the irreversibly by having a Ribosome DNA block for lesser or advanced (monkey->human, slime->slimepeople, etc) and Polymerase blocks for all the species, with no active polymerase being the slime species. It's taking a while to develop cause handling multiple active polymerases and the possibilities of tran-species, cross-species and genetic abominations of which I'm no spriter, as well as writing up a guide with fancy pictures for it all takes time but is coming along. Until then, don't slime yerself!

EDIT - And I just noticed I'm necroposting. Still valid tho.