What current treaties are there between SCG and Biesel?

Saudus

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new addition here to Aurora station and I'm currently diving into the lore. I have been looking around for information regarding the diplomatic status between Sol and Biesel following the latter's independence, the blockade due to the combat cyborg incident and the actions of Admiral Frost. I'm not looking for the general feeling between the two, but confirmed treaties and diplomatic status and such. In particular I have been looking for the treaty leading to Biesel's independence and whatever treaty was signed after removing Admiral Frost.

I am basing all I know on the wiki background information as well as the Sol Alliance News network. The following two articles are the ones I draw the most from:

https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?p=71347#p71347

https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?p=72670#p72670

The only thing I have found on the independence treaty was that Biesel became independent and the establishment of the Free Trade Zone which meant that no tariffs were allowed by the SCG towards Biesel.

On the blockade I have only found the three points listen in the Sol Alliance News network article. It isn't stated anywhere if they were ever put in effect following the removal of Frost however (seems logical they were to me they were). The third point about the observers is of particular interest to me, as I've been thinking of making a character to RP as a SCG observer on the Aurora, and the precise nature of the treaty would be quite important then.

Ohh great and benevolent loremasters, is there more information somewhere and if there isn't, what is your ruling?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

We are going to work better on incorporating news lore onto the wiki. That is definitely an oversight that has gone on too long. My bad!

1) The blockade was ended as per an Alliance article explaining so, and this will be said on the wiki too and referenced more.

2) The invasion by Frost was officially the illegal action of a rogue warlord, and has been deeply embarrassing for the Alliance. ATLAS says Frost was doing the right thing and should have been supported, and everyone else in the government is kinda anxious about that.

3) I am not entirely schooled in formal diplomatic relations. They are at peace, they are neutral but frosty, and attempting to undermine one another without being caught in the act.

What sort of relationships and treaties seem reasonable to you? What do you think would have been broken during all of these affairs? If you want to just name drop treaties that were broken or signed, if they sound reasonable I can slap an official seal on them and include them in a wiki update for the relevant pages.

I just finished a round playing as Leland Fields, a diplomatic observer working for the SCG Foreign Relations Department (finished ca 03:15 AM CET+1 time), tried to AHelp to get some credentials (a stamp or something) but didn't get an answer so tried it anyway. I got some nice feedback from some players (especially the Detective, the janitor Finn Greene and the IPC scientist) and it seemed appreciated (ended up getting arrested for suspected espionage on my own recommendation in LOOC since I lacked a stamp).

Based on the lore that I've read (pretty much all of the wiki and the Sol Alliance News Network), I constructed the following timeline in my head:

• Jargon Federation (JF) freak out and preassure Sol Central Government (SCG) to stop it.
  • SCG initiates a trade blockade against RoB, effectively strangling imports/exports due to RoB's location within SCG space. This breaks the "Free Trade Zone Treaty" that was part of the 2452 "RoB Independence Treaty" between SCG and NT/RoB, which SCG claims is alright due to the combat drone program.
  • The blockade is implace with terrible economic consequences in Biesel, most attempts to run the blockade are stopped.
  • SCG makes the demand linked (2nd link) to in the original post and prepare to force it through diplomatically.
  • The 33rd fleet under Admiral Frost takes additional action, unauthorized by the SCG, and start to venture into RoB space which culminates with the total occupation of the RoB
  • The actions of Frost and the 33rd are partly because of xenophobia towards synthetics and human supremacism. But also an attempt to "get things done" and Frost's political ambitions (getting a major diplomatic win and possibly even returning a breakaway province of the SCG being the goal)
  • During this occupation, the events at the end of the RoB wiki page takes place (https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Republic_of_Biesel) and are in in large part due to latent synthetic xenophobia in stratas of the population and the general anarchy and chaos of an occupation.
  • Public sentiment turns violently against Frost and the 33rd, SCG takes action against them and "liberates" the RoB with the 25th
  • The blockade is ended after the actions in this link (https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?p=78486#p78486), but isn't entirely without conditions. The ATLAS representatives who flipped did so because the blockade ended with the "Combat Drone Treaty". This treaty forbids RoB and (NT within RoB space) from having/selling/buying/making/etc any lethal weapon combat drones. It also demands that synthetics (IPCs/Borgs/Robots/AI) all have a registered owner (can be themselves in the case of IPCs), are monitored by their employers and are not weaponized/otherwise deadly over what their profession requires (a SEC IPC can legaly be more armed/deadly than a science IPC for example).
  • Instead of enforcing this with law enforecement officers from SCG educating RoB/NT officers (like previously suggested) there are diplomatic observers from the SCG Foreing Relations Department (FRD) who will visit NT/RoB installations periodically to observe the local compliance with the treaty (and other treaties such as the free trade zone treaty, should work both ways on the tarrifs?) .
  • These observers hold no special rights over regular crew members and still have to abide by the laws and regulations. The local authorities, however, are bound to assist them ,within reason, with observing/interviewing various areas/personell.

Felt fairly logical to me that something like that (which could be construed as a compromise from the inital diplomatic goal of the SCG) would be reached since RoB have been economically devastated. If you think it sounds good then let me know and I can leave summer hibernation and flip on my law student brain and write up something looking like an actual treaty.

Soooooo.... I may have gotten a bit bored and decided to throw together a mock treaty. It is based on the format of the European Convention on Human Rights and (I think at least) is reasonable given the events in the lore.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pmZMpE-pJYtl-Mp6pAMw-IFx-ddTxvtP6kz735TqMdU/edit?usp=sharing

Would love feedback on it and can of course revise it as needed if things are lacking or plain wrong.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

That sounds like a very good timeline and chronology of events. We are going to have to work better on incorporating these things from news articles onto the wiki.

The treaty looks comprehensive and I appreciate it. I am just wondering if it would be suitable to put a 5 page diplomatic document on our wiki or in an article. These sort of treaties and relationships are always usually handwaved with the titles and basic description of the purpose of the treaty. Our focus isn't as an RTS or political game so we just trust the fact that everyone OOC agrees that the Treaty Banning Denim Pants actually has a 20 page set of laws and rules that everyone has to follow, without writing it all down anywhere, because our wiki isn't really made for that.

I am glad that the series of events is reasonable even to a law student. I've always researched something similar that happened in reality to base these things off of. And even though our Economy update is still barely getting started I also enjoyed giving a small taste of the economic mayhem by hiking up the price of cigarettes to 500 credits.

So currently I'd agree with you and say there are:

1) The Free Trade Zone. No tarrifs, no taxes, no 'trust-busting.' ZERO government interference in a libertarian wet dream.

2) Embassies between the two.

3) Combat Drone Treaty and Alliance observers and educators.

4) Basic treaties that would exist between two stellar nations governing all the technicalities of running a nation.

I agree that this treaty I wrote shouldn't be put up on the wiki or in an article, it's waaaay to much (I did it just for fun). It could be linked to at some appropriate place, but even that might be a bit too much. I tried to put it on paper (the SS13 formated version) in game and it needed two pages, which really is a bit much.

Nice to hear you enjoyed my timeline, and this community really should feel good about the quality of the lore, the quantity of it and (which I've found to be quite rare) the amount of it which fits together well. Those four points you wrote seem to cover it perfectly.

I'm going to apply for a custom item of some sort to RP as one of those observers (a stamp or badge or something). I love it when people bring in the lore on the rounds. Last night (24th 1 AM CET+1 time) the mercenaries RPd as Sol Marines from the 33rd, which just makes the entire round more nuanced and unique.

I will most likely be back on this sub-forum with another question in a few days with another question, but let me know if I can help somehow with the lore gathering or whatnots.