Question about Character backgrounds and Tajara coloration

Pinefall

I'm pretty new to SS13 and when i first started playing i played on a non public server with few people And i didn't bother with the lore then so i created a tajaran without really reading the lore They had a light grey coloration with a socks pattern but i picked a Hharar tajara and in the lore page it says "The Hharar are usually beaver brown, kochiba, or taupe in coloration. " is that an absolute? while it says there are variations from this rule it also says "Taupe is the darkest a Hharar gets and Beaver is as light as they get." is grey an unrealistic option for that ethnicity? My second question was: i roleplayed my character as adopted and raised by human parents and thus having a fairly human name "Rona Matthews" is that a viable scenario or would humans never want to adopt a tajaran or wouldn't be able to? Thanks for your time.

Variations between Tajara can happen, at least fur color wise. Taupe comes out looking grey, so it's okay.

As for your name question, and her origin, most new Tajara applications are required to be from Adhomai to be able to weed-out those wanting to ignore the lore, but our Tajara loremin has stated previously I believe that he's willing to have Tajara born off-world so long as the application shows an understanding of the lore, which means if you want your character to be accepted under that, you'll need to show an EXTREME understanding and comprehension of the lore.

My suggestion would be to focus your application around the family of your Tajara and what caused her adoption, with barely any of your application focusing on life after adoption, barring the bits of how she came under NanoTrasen employment.

Going this route with a Tajara backstory, much more is needed than is needed for the simple Adhomanian born one, as you're striving from the norm.

Hi. I'm not a lore person. I know very little about Tajaran lore, even. But I will help because I am having of too much a Christmasness I am here.

And by the power of Greyskull Google, I have determined that Taupe is a grey tinge of brown.

Procion-Fabric-Dye-Taupe-Product-103514.jpg

So it's probably fine. Like Meowy said.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello! [mention]Mofo1995[/mention] is our Tajara overseer and can give you more in-depth responses for these questions.

I myself had troubles in the past in figuring out what all these art-student color theory words mean and had to google image them. That is why I seized a chance to get the colors a visual representation on our wiki, on the main tajara page.

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Tajara#Coloration

Gray would be too much to an m'sai in my opinion. You would have to give your Tajara mixed ethnicity parents or just slide the scale to beaver brown. I had to adjust the fur color of my own Tajara when I realized several months ago that I was way off the mark.

You should really try to make your Tajara fall under one of these colorations for their ethnicity. If they have mixed parents you can slide the scale, but you still have to at least vaguely identify with one of these color schemes. It's part of their species and plays a part in their race and playstyle.

I am not aware of Mofo wanting to change the rule we have for Tajara applications that require them to be born on Adhomai. The rule for Tajara is one of the only 2 hard and absolute rules we have for species whitelist applications, so it's rather important.

https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?p=80034#p80034

It's important that Tajara are connected to the turmoil and conflict engulfing Adhomai because it forms their entire species' identity. Opting out of the relationship Tajara have with one another, their allegiances, race, religion, etc, is not something we want to encourage.

I don't really have much to contribute beyond what the other two said. The whole raised by humans thing used to be a really common trope that made for RP that amounted more to just humans with fur than an alien race. While it's technically possible to circumvent the hard rule that all Tajara whitelist app characters must be from Adhomai, such an application would have to be beyond merely exceptionally good, so I wouldn't count on it. The number of characters today who were born expatriates from Adhomai are few and far between, and have largely been whittled down to the few who can pull off the roleplay very well.

Coloration is not something I get bent out of shape about, so long as people respect that most neon colors are out of the question. IE, blue, green, purple, pink, red- the crazy stuff that if you see someone with a head of hair of that color, you know it's dyed. There is a Zhan color that's blueish, and Njarir can be Donald Trump orange, but those are really the only exceptions. I think that using out of race colors is kind of lame, but there isn't a hard rule against it, think of the racial group colorations as a guide.

As far as names goes, the only human names that are really kosher for Tajara are slavic and arab in nature, for some reason. It hasn't ever really been defined, but if I had to write lore on it, it would have to do with the first humans they interacted with extensively. What's far more appreciated though is "traditional" Tajara names which there are many examples of on the wiki. It's hard to describe them, but I guess it's like growling?

At any rate, if you do apply for a whitelist, please take a keen look at the Tajara wiki page and make sure you understand the material. Beyond understanding, make sure that you actually want to play as a Tajara, as a common issue with whitelist applicants is that some don't really have any interest in Tajara beyond the cosmetic.

Thank you [mention]Mofo1995[/mention][mention]Senpai Jackboot[/mention][mention]Conspiir[/mention][mention]Menown[/mention] For responding! While waiting for answers i went browsing the species lore list and i've actually already decided on playing a Baseline Frame instead, (Something about those CRT heads are so appealing) And on that smaller Medium RP server i accidentally completed Ronas character arc And i don't see much more places to go with her, So it all kinda works out. Thanks!