[Accepted]Wolf Harrington Canonization Application

Type: Comet Settlement

Founding/Settlement Date: 2245

Region of Space: Sol System

Controlled by: Sol Alliance (Founded by independent mining companies)

Other Snapshot information: 

Wolf Harrington is a small mining and habitation complex in the Sol system, situated on Comet 43P. It has a population of roughly 10,000, with many of the colony's inhabitants surviving in the vast amounts of subterranean infrastructure which allows them to survive the constantly changing climate on a comet.

Long Description:

Wolf Harrington was officially founded in 2245 by a Human civilian mining company hoping to strike it rich by gathering resources on a celestial body that seemed nearly impossible to properly mine, a comet.

Seeing the need for long term habitation to effectively mine the comet, the company built a number of subterranean habitats capable of holding miners for at least nine years without resupply, the orbital period of Wolf-Harrington (Since 2019)

As mining of the comet's gaseous coma and solidified core grew in scope, more infrastructure was needed to stave off cave ins and to allow further habitation. Over many decades, these habitats became the vast majority of the comet's body, and mining of the comet itself was discontinued shortly after 2345, one hundred years after the colony's founding.

Today, Wolf Harrington is used as a temporary mining base to extract minerals from different bodies which the comet passes by, namely asteroids. The unique nature of the colony made it a popular tourist location, with exhibits in the interior springing up to teach eager children and adults alike about the history of mining in space.

(Apologies about any typing mistakes, this was done on a phone)

Retofitting a comet into a mobile mining platform is rad but mining the comet in the first place is rubbing me up the wrong way. How would you feel about changing this into a mining flotilla? Maybe have an asteroid retrofitted into a nomadic mining platform?

Retofitting a comet into a mobile mining platform is rad but mining the comet in the first place is rubbing me up the wrong way. How would you feel about changing this into a mining flotilla? Maybe have an asteroid retrofitted into a nomadic mining platform?

I figured, since comet cores are made up of materials that sublimate into gasses, they are probably hotspots for mining resources generally not obtainable outside of gas mining.

That said, Wolf Harrington irl has a very wide orbit that passes by the kyper belt so it just being a flotilla instead of a mining site turned subterranean city would be neat. If its not on the comet Wolf Harrington, though, the name doesnt make sense.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...