[Processing] Baranova's Psychoanalyst title

Rechkalov

BYOND Key: Rechkalov

Character name: Daniela Baranova

Requested title: Psychoanalyst

Why is your character carrying said item to work? deserving of the title?

It's what Baranova had been doing all this time - strictly refusing to prescribe meds, and rather working off Fromm's teachings about human nature, its functioning and its cure. I'd also like to make a point that 'her thing' are mostly patients whose issues stretch across several shifts, and are much more deeply seated than the 'typical psychologist issues' such as depression or low self-esteem, to further support the plead.

Title's function(s): Mostly cosmetical in essence.

Additional comments:

I would have made her psychoanalyst right away -it's what I always meant her to be- if only I had known I wasn't limited to the setup options.

It goes almost without saying that Baranova is a great psychiatrist. I've personally had fun going to them with Tony shift after shift while he had clinical depression, when he fabricated problems just so he would have a reason to talk to someone, more spacifically Baranova. A fact which they were most likely aware off, yet tolerated it like a real psychiatrist would. Baranova cut through Tony's bullshit like a razor, though, either because I was bad or Rechkalov has experience with psychology IRL.

Problem I have with Rechkalov is that they never went around to compile that psych report for Tony, even though I asked multiple times and they said they would. While it might fall outside what a player might be obliged to do as a psychiatrist, something like that would be 5 minutes tops for someone of Rechkalov's writing and analitical ability, which also ties in to another problem. Baranova has a tendency to leave in the middle of an appointment, forgetting completely about it in the process, seemingly for frivolous issues. An issue some other characters have also complained about. So, the underlying problem could be that Baranova has so many patients to work with, that its hard to give proper attention to everyone, or (maybe) a lack of care for patients whose issues seem uninteresting.

All in all, +1.

It goes almost without saying that Baranova is a great psychiatrist. I've personally had fun going to them with Tony shift after shift while he had clinical depression, when he fabricated problems just so he would have a reason to talk to someone, more spacifically Baranova. A fact which they were most likely aware off, yet tolerated it like a real psychiatrist would. Baranova cut through Tony's bullshit like a razor, though, either because I was bad or Rechkalov has experience with psychology IRL.

Problem I have with Rechkalov is that they never went around to compile that psych report for Tony, even though I asked multiple times and they said they would. While it might fall outside what a player might be obliged to do as a psychiatrist, something like that would be 5 minutes tops for someone of Rechkalov's writing and analitical ability, which also ties in to another problem. Baranova has a tendency to leave in the middle of an appointment, forgetting completely about it in the process, seemingly for frivolous issues. An issue some other characters have also complained about. So, the underlying problem could be that Baranova has so many patients to work with, that its hard to give proper attention to everyone, or (maybe) a lack of care for patients whose issues seem uninteresting.

All in all, +1.

I honestly don't recall that you would ask for a report - I'm so sorry O.o I quite take pride in having papers on most of the patients... then again, Tony would visit her when I was quite new to the whole deal. Maybe it was that, that I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing yet. I deeply apologize (I might even be able to draw something up from what I recall, if you want it real bad).

The thing about running away in the middle of the theraphy... that's something that upsets me too, a great deal, might I add; people have absolutely no respect for the fact that there already is a patient and that the therapy is currently going on.

You must have witnessed me trying to explain that a numerous times; and the people will never give you any specifics on the other nutjob's problem, they either make it sound like a matter of life and death, or the discussion is reduced to "I DON'T WANT HIM. HE'S MENTAL. BARANOVA, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!", usually yelled in unison by several doctors and an officer or warden on top of it. It's funny. When there already is a person in surgery, they seem to get it.

So, in the end, the good roleplayer loses to a bloody baldhead, because the rest of the crew doesn't want to have to deal with him. It's annoying, it's unfair, it's pissing numerous people of, and it's something I cannot really promise to change; I've been trying this whole time, and apparently with poor results.

But, it does bring us back to the title request - with regard to the difference in psychologist's and psychoanalyst's work, I absolutely intend to turn people down with cases out of that field of expertise. Honest promise.

Edit:

In hindsight, I would like to apologize to you, specifically; I was a pretty poor even poorer roleplayer back when Tony used to come around, and it's no big surprise that you're in-game experience suffered from it. I have this unpleasant feeling that Dan might have even avoided patients back then to be with Sam - again, I cannot apologize enough, though I can try an explain myself; I was fairly new to the game, and it took me some time to get my priorities right. (but then, seeing as I used to begin each shift by getting drunk and going EVA back then, what did you expect? :D)

I'd like to think you'd have a more pleasant experience stopping by these days.

2ndEdit: How many psychotherapists does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the bulb must genuinely want to change.

I honestly don't recall that you would ask for a report - I'm so sorry O.o I quite take pride in having papers on most of the patients... then again, Tony would visit her when I was quite new to the whole deal. Maybe it was that, that I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing yet. I deeply apologize (I might even be able to draw something up from what I recall, if you want it real bad).

The thing about running away in the middle of the theraphy... that's something that upsets me too, a great deal, might I add; people have absolutely no respect for the fact that there already is a patient and that the therapy is currently going on.

You must have witnessed me trying to explain that a numerous times; and the people will never give you any specifics on the other nutjob's problem, they either make it sound like a matter of life and death, or the discussion is reduced to "I DON'T WANT HIM. HE'S MENTAL. BARANOVA, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!", usually yelled in unison by several doctors and an officer or warden on top of it. It's funny. When there already is a person in surgery, they seem to get it.

So, in the end, the good roleplayer loses to a bloody baldhead, because the rest of the crew doesn't want to have to deal with him. It's annoying, it's unfair, it's pissing numerous people of, and it's something I cannot really promise to change; I've been trying this whole time, and apparently with poor results.

But, it does bring us back to the title request - with regard to the difference in psychologist's and psychoanalyst's work, I absolutely intend to turn people down with cases out of that field of expertise. Honest promise.

Edit:

In hindsight, I would like to apologize to you, specifically; I was a pretty poor even poorer roleplayer back when Tony used to come around, and it's no big surprise that you're in-game experience suffered from it. I have this unpleasant feeling that Dan might have even avoided patients back then to be with Sam - again, I cannot apologize enough, though I can try an explain myself; I was fairly new to the game, and it took me some time to get my priorities right. (but then, seeing as I used to begin each shift by getting drunk and going EVA back then, what did you expect? :D)

I'd like to think you'd have a more pleasant experience stopping by these days.

2ndEdit: How many psychotherapists does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the bulb must genuinely want to change.

Nahh, don't apologise. I just wanted to see where the issue was coming from. Being part of security myself, I can confirm it can be near impossible to deal with immersion breaking baldheads in IC acceptable fashion, this is why you're usually being forced to come. The safety of the station is at stake after all. Maybe the HoS or the warden should have a right to declare people clinically insane, with the crew and the psychologist being able to despute it respectively, but that is an issue for another time.

You can make up by making the psych report on Tony, since I'll most likely get him whitelisted as HoS, eval should be mandatory.

P.S. I'm the one who usualy shouts "Baranova, get your ass to the brig!"

Nahh, don't apologise. I just wanted to see where the issue was coming from. Being part of security myself, I can confirm it can be near impossible to deal with immersion breaking baldheads in IC acceptable fashion, this is why you're usually being forced to come. The safety of the station is at stake after all. Maybe the HoS or the warden should have a right to declare people clinically insane, with the crew and the psychologist being able to despute it respectively, but that is an issue for another time.

You can make up by making the psych report on Tony, since I'll most likely get him whitelisted as HoS, eval should be mandatory.

P.S. I'm the one who usualy shouts "Baranova, get your ass to the brig!"

The thing is, there is nothing I can do about such people, really. I just waste a few more minutes trying to talk to them - something that had been tried already (every now and then it turns out you really are just dealing with a newbie capable of immersing in the story, but the ratio is rather sad - but yes, then something can be done, seeing as Security rarely talks to people in a manner that could help them get the feeling for the game and encourage them to play along) and I jacket' them and put them away.

Five minutes' work, but the damage onto the player who had prepared genuinely complex and interesting psych problem is already done.

What pisses me most is that these kinds of people usually SSD, so first I fight with everybody and seem like an asshole who refuses to do his job, then I upset the patient by leaving in the middle of something, and then it looks like I was really just being a jerk, as I end up with nothing to do.

But, that's a lot of whining that leads nowhere. Back to the topic - pls, make me an analyst!

I'm against this on principle as a member of the development team; just get your ID changed. People will start requesting custom jobs and that will not only clutter up the manifest but I feel it is detrimental as a whole. Pick from the roles available, then change it IC. I don't see a company making a new position for a single person on station.

I'm against this on principle as a member of the development team; just get your ID changed. People will start requesting custom jobs and that will not only clutter up the manifest but I feel it is detrimental as a whole. Pick from the roles available, then change it IC. I don't see a company making a new position for a single person on station.

I don't see how changing it in-game makes more sense, ICly. The process is usually referred to as a "transfer", implying that you are being transferred to a position that does already exist.

As for the "cluttering up the manifest" point - I intended for this to be a third sub-option for the psychologist slot, if that wasn't clear; so, unless I misunderstand you still, no such cluttering would take place.

Finally, if you are really so concerned that everybody would start having their own snowflakey titles, you could always just go ahead and make this one accessible to everybody.

For the few of us who try to roleplay in the field, the distinction can mean a lot, and -correct me if I am wrong- the implementation doesn't seem all that complicated.

All in all, +1.

Just as a note she /did/ compile a report or atleast did at later date deliver it to my desk, as CMO

• 2 months later...