VAO/ROCKY's custom borg sprites application

kyres1

First application - Security module, VAO

BYOND Key: Kyres1

Character name: VAO, Security Robot

Item name: VAO's non-standard chassis modification.

Why is your character carrying said item to work? VAO is an aging yet effective security robot with very few major chassis modifications added to improve performance and keep up with more modern prototypes. Some of the modifications to its original chassis include a protruding antenna, mismatched added plating, etc.

Item function(s): In character, VAO's design promotes an interrogative and direct approach to security matters by improving threat assessment, linguistics and social comprehension. In function it's a sprite change, like the others.

Item description: See below.

Item appearance:

The original flavor text is as follows.

A tank-like 6'2" robot with a polished blue exterior and enormous pillar-like legs. Its pistons rev and whirr loudly with each passing step, and remain silent during more subtle movement. The armored internals remain barely visible, obscured by the carbon laced plating. It has multiple cameras attached to swivels, constantly surveying its surroundings. A deep, droning and monotone male voice emits from its interior. The words "JUSTICE MODULE - VAO" are engraved deeply on each limb.

NDdLE9j.png

For comparison ;

r5zsCTE.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? VAO is a bit of an old character and I had only picked him up again a few months back. I had decided on the spider sprite, and after a while the stoic and very medieval attitude of VAO started to get contrary to his alien insectoid appearance. This sprite will definitely make it a bit less confusing, being much less alien and more knightly to match with VAO's personality, while still keeping the majority of the old spider sprite still intact.

Additional comments: None for this one.

Second application - Mining module, ROCKY

Character name: ROCKY, Mining Robot

Item name: ROCKY's Extra-corporate Chassis

Why is your character carrying said item to work? ROCKY's chassis is unique in the sense that it is not an original NT design. In fact, his origins can be pinpointed to a private mining company in Sol some six years ago. His life may be short, but the workloads his chassis was and continues to be put under are marginally safe at best. As such, his plating has been reinforced time and time again, replaced only to break like the last.

Item function(s): ROCKY, like any proper mining design, is large. His entire module - labelled "Grand Haul", is based around volume, and bringing in the greatest quantity of materials conceivably possible. Longevity, durability, and strength are far more favorable traits over silly things like speed, convenience, or stature in this scenario. ROCKY exists to perpetuate this mindset, but even his strength is no match for the test of time. In function it's a sprite change, like the others.

Item description:See below.

Item appearance:

The original flavor text is as follows.

A large, lanky 7'1" robot which has clearly seen better days. Its frame is dotted with scratches and large dents while its armored internals remain otherwise intact. Two large screens stand where its head should be, integrated fully into its torso and emulating eyes and mouth accordingly. They stare and sometimes sort through emotions erratically. A high pitched and extremely expressive voice emits from its interior. The words "GRAND HAUL - ROCKY" are emblazoned across its torso and are heavily weathered.

O5eElXN.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?ROCKY more often than not does not match his flavor text, the advanced droid sprite just not cutting it sometimes. It doesn't quite match the old, roughened and falling-apart aesthetic of ROCKY, and I hope this sprite remedies that. Not to mention it's actually lanky as the text suggests.

Additional comments: The eyes and rear lights are animated.

Third application - Combat module, VAO

Character name: VAO, Combat Module

Item name: VAO's Justice Module combat design.

Why is your character carrying said item to work? The work in this instance is usually a bit of an emergency if it warrants a combat module, and as such being transformed into a droideka isn't the most practical change from VAO's original security design.

Item function(s): VAO's original purpose was combat, and efficiency in such. However, his original design is not exactly the most efficient thing for speedy travel and, as such, further modifications had to be made to live up to the expectations of NT's combat designs. The solution was simple - retaining VAO's form for the most part, but allowing for support of wheels as a means of movement. The upper body needed only minor changes to accommodate a torso and free arm movement. In function it's a sprite change, like the others.

Item description: See below.

Item appearance:

A dark grey and towering 7'3" robot with constantly brandished laser rifles protruding from two enormous appendiges on either side of its torso. It has six legs which overlap one another in movement, and it pivots around to survey its surroundings constantly with an enormous red camera atop its torso.The words "JUSTICE MODULE - VAO" are engraved deeply on each limb, and painted across its chest.

YrkGNYh.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? This is a tough one considering how rare combat borgs are, but the unique nature of VAO being relatively recognizable even in his combat state has good implications. The biggest reason is similar to the VAO's original sprite change application, which is that the original sprite is simply exaggeratedly alien and doesn't match up with the personality at all.

Additional comments: I have never seen a custom combat borg sprite nor can I find anything related to one on the forums. I would not be surprised if this isn't possible, but I'd like input regardless.

Also, the mobility form has a movement animation whereas the deployed form does not.

Additional comments: This is my first application, so while the sprites are done and saved properly I'm not sure what to do with the images to use them in-game. As far as I know, this is only the third or forth time anybody has made a custom borg sprite, so I'm prepared for whatever weird BYOND stuff that might need to be done. Criticism is always appreciated. As for the DMI's, I think(?) I did them right. PM me and I'll send them to you.

I was told that I would need to make the rest of the available modules as custom sprites as well, or pick a default sprite and be stuck with it. In the case of the latter I would pick the "sleek" sprite for the rest.

Kyres is a phenomenal roleplayer and these sprites look very nice. For the interaction they'd add with their unique robot personalities, I'd very much like to see these models ingame when VAO is hunting down evildoers in the name of justice. That and I've been looking at the same borg models since forever, some toss up wouldn't be awful. +1 and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...