Raymond Hawkins Wallet and Tablet.

Faris

BYOND Key: Aboshehab

Character name: Raymond Hawkins

Item name: Black Leather Wallet, Holo Tablet

Why is your character carrying said item to work? Both items are of sentimental value to the character in question. It hits on the familial tenets Raymond adheres to thoroughly. One is a wallet, it's a common item everyone walks around with and I doubt its use would ever end in the future, except this was an item passed on to him by someone close.

The other item would be a thin device, with how compact certain devices are and how this device is specialized for a certain purpose, which is to project pictures. It's the equivalent of carrying pictures of loved ones.

Item function(s): Black Leather Wallet: It'll act like any other wallet, I'm not asking for anything extra for this specific item.

Item description: A sleek black leather wallet, with the initials of J.H. visible at the front side. It’s got an old yet maintained look to it.

Item appearance:

190oBLb.png

Item function(s): It would act similar to a warrant projector, except when activated ((Clicked on)), it would open up a list of pictures already stored on the device. After selecting the picture, you would either examine it and have a text pop up with the description or "show held item" permitting others to examine it. This device would fit in the wallet as well. It's not meant to be big.

Item description: A thin electronic device that projects holographic images stored on it.

Item appearance:

Jd1juZa.png

The following will be the picture descriptions, when activating it and showing the list, the pictures will be headed by dates.

22-01-2460: This image shows a group of four outside with a scene looks to be a camp out in a forest. You see Raymond Hawkins sitting around a campfire with the three others, which you may know as Annabelle Hawkins, Lily Hawkins and Robert Hawkins, his children.

07-11-2459: This image shows two people, Raymond Hawkins and Robert Hawkins, with the latter being a boy in his early teens. The setting is that of a gun range, with Robert operating a sidearm. Raymond is standing nearby guiding and instructing him on his posture.

03-08-2459: This image shows two people, Raymond Hawkins and Lily Hawkins, with the latter being a girl in her early twenties. The setting is that of an arena, Raymond dressed casually and Lily in a Jiu Jitsu uniform, the belt being an alternation between black and red. She’s got a winners medal around her neck, making a peace sign with her right hand while having a grin on her face, posing for a picture with Raymond.

08-03-2452: This image shows two people, Raymond Hawkins and Annabelle Hawkins, the former visibly a decade younger yet thinner, and not in the healthy way. The later looks to be in their late teens. The setting is that of a restaurant, a more high end one, with the two of them seated opposite of each other, posing for a picture. Annabelle especially looks incredibly happy.

18-06-2437: This image shows a group of five posing together for a picture, the surrounding indicates this as a place of military decorum, people dressed in Sol Navy dress uniforms and people in civilian clothing spread around in groups, indicating some form of graduation ceremony. Raymond is in his mid twenties, dressed in full dress uniform standing with four others. One you might know as Stephanie Hawkins, dressed in the same way, looking to be in her mid twenties as well. A boy in his early teens is also standing, which you may know as Robert Hawkins, his brother. The last two are Jack Hawkins and Martha Hawkins, both looking to be in their early fifties, his parents.

01-01-2434: This image shows a large gathering, the scenery and attire indicative of a wedding. Two people stick out, Raymond Hawkins, looking to be in his early twenties dressed in a suit dancing with his bride, which you may know as Stephanie Hawkins. They look content and happy, the atmosphere ecstatic.

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? Raymond is an overall reserved character, that's not to say he isn't a fleshed out character, I feel I've developed him realistically with a lot of depth, and to those that are his friends or go pass his overall coldness while on the job have most likely seen the family side of him. Even those that aren't his friends or really know him might have seen it or experienced it. I feel these items would add another layer of narrative and real to him. Be it showing said items during a sappy moment or him during break just going over them while on break, I feel they provide a story.

Additional comments: Find any spelling mistakes or grammar with the items themselves, please tell me.

Sprite files

Hey there. Loow here.

While I like the sprites, I find myself wondering how often this will come up.

Is our :B:aymond :B:awkins the sort of stereotypical "proud father" who shows strangers pictures of his kids so that his death means more to them later in the round?

I've always been an avid supporter of small talk and banal character details. Still. [mention]Sharp[/mention]. What makes you think that this item will fix the lack of depth you see with the character? Won't this be like shoveling dirt to try and fill in a hole that is really an endless void?

Isn't it all just meaningless in the end? How do these pictures and these sprites make you feel? Why does it hold such weight to you? More importantly, why does this hold such weight to your character?

I don't know, Sharp. Until I see some answers to these questions, I'm not sure I can say I approve of this. That and some horrible person keeps shilling this application across channels, so it's possible that their relentless manner has colored my impression to some extent.

Is our :B:aymond :B:awkins the sort of stereotypical "proud father" who shows strangers pictures of his kids so that his death means more to them later in the round?

No, I highly doubt Raymond would open up to strangers on a whim just because of these items. There may be some fringe incidents that justify it based on the narrative of the round, but I didn't make these items and this application for specific rounds in mind, but for the overall gameplay and by extension, the roleplay of the character. How people feel is up to them, I provide the canvas, the players paint.

I've always been an avid supporter of small talk and banal character details. Still. Sharp. What makes you think that this item will fix the lack of depth you see with the character? Won't this be like shoveling dirt to try and fill in a hole that is really an endless void?

You would be right in this account, but I do not believe he is a character lacking depth, he's a character I've invested the most with, created many narratives with that involved other people, good and bad, sad and happy, mundane and serious encounters. I don't feel that depth is actually lacking, some may feel that but that's only because he's an overall reserved character.

So to hit your point. What you said would be true if that was the case, but to me it isn't, but as always, you're free to tell me your opinion. I'm merely adding more to his depth, as opposed to filling a lack of it.

Isn't it all just meaningless in the end? How do these pictures and these sprites make you feel? Why does it hold such weight to you? More importantly, why does this hold such weight to your character?

Meaningless is a fairly arbitrary meter. I don't think it is, I applied for this because I want it. It isn't some lucky article of clothing he's bringing to work. He's bringing sentimental items to him around. I personally carry pictures of family, living and dead around on my phone; sometimes I go through some old pictures that's only a step above black and white. It's a common theme a lot of people do, not restricted to a single trope. Being gifted a watch, you might wear it around. Cuff buttons passed down, you might use them for occasions. The list can really go on.

In essence, it's a sentimental item, Raymond is a sentimental man attributing memories to items. Some players through interaction both on station and out will be quite familiar with his "stash".

That and some horrible person keeps shilling this application across channels, so it's possible that their relentless manner has colored my impression to some extent.

I think I can reasonably be called excited for this. I've never asked people to just give "+1's". If a person wishes to provide feedback, good or bad, they're welcome to. I'll happily reply and defend my stance and answers, or in some cases concede.

I really do think this kind of thing is an extension of the amount of time a person has put into their character, and seeing how long Raymond has been around, it's safe to say that he's very developed and has been made with a lot of thought. This can be a memento of that development. +1

Raymond is a character that I've spent quite a lot of time interacting with both ingame and out of game. He is an incredibly sentimental person from my own experience, but he's also very reserved, and isn't the type of character to go around flaunting things. I think these items are not only believable, but also something that Raymond himself would feasibly carry around. Plus, this is two less slots he has for becoming a walking armory during rev. What's not to love?

+1 from me.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

A dad wandering around showing people pictures of his kid is such a dad thing to do. Pride in one's children is a great way for even a quiet, reserved character to get off his ass and socialize. I think it'd be really neat to have him talking about his kids with his wallet. It will make it much more poignant when I steal his wallet and chuck it into space. As a non-antag. Forcing him to canonize it.

+1