itani's Custom Borg Application

BYOND Key: itanimulli

Character name: COFFIN SENTINEL (Previously HAPTIC FEEDBACK)

Item name: HAPTIC FEEDBACK's full conversion chassis.

Why is your character carrying said item to work? HAPTIC's original purpose was to serve as an observant, optimizing it's routines to fit what was required of the station at any particular time. Only then would it receive its first and final upgrade to a chassis, that, with a team of engineers, it could help design. The ability to remain compliant with it's own systems is paramount, and thus it's chassis was designed with it's previous form, as a drone-type, in mind. It was noted early on that well-known chassis receive less issues from the crew, citing VAO, Rocky, Asimo, and to a lesser extent, BUD. Thus it became apparent that, to serve with less issue, HAPTIC would require something that gave it a distinct presence.

With both previous form and operational efficiency in mind, it was decided upon a modernized, floating assembly, with all of the tools kept inside the drone until needed. It's overall function would be denoted via electrochromic paint, but nothing more. It primarily serves as a station servant, and whether it be security or construction, a full swap of the chassis would be highly inefficient. It is much more logical to retain the same base, and simply change out the modules.

Item function(s): This functions as a sprite change for several modules. The standard sprite would be used for: Standard, custodial, service, and clerical. The rest of the modules are named as such in the DMI, with the EngiConstruct sprite being used for both engineering and construction.

The custom uses the same sprite for all lights; that it so say, it has the same color lights at all times.

If possible, I'd like to add an .ogg to it, as a sort of 'presence' sound that broadcasts quietly in a relatively small radius around itself. I'm still looking for what that would be, and I'll likely contact alb to see if that's an option.

Item description:

Flavour-Text, for each module-

Standard, custodial, service, and clerical:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it flashes a singular white light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to simply be helping with menial tasks all around the station.

Security:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it signals a singular blue light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. It's head is dark in color, and coordinates the entire machine. It's shell signals blue both above and below it's flashlight. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is almost skeletal, pulsing with more blue panels. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to purposed towards station patrol and apprehensive/peacekeeping duties.

Research:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it signals a singular magenta light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. It's white head coordinates the entire machine. It's shell signals magenta both above and below it's flashlight. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is almost skeletal, pulsing with more magenta panels. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to purposed towards assisting research and development.

Engineering & Construction:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it signals a singular yellow light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. It's white head coordinates the entire machine. It's shell signals yellow both above and below it's flashlight. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is almost skeletal, pulsing with more yellow panels. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to purposed towards the facilitation of engineering or construction duties.

Mining:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it signals a singular orange light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. It's grey head coordinates the entire machine. It's shell signals orange both above and below it's flashlight. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is almost skeletal, pulsing with more orange panels. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to purposed towards assisting the mining department in the collection of ore.

Rescue & Medical:

A 5 foot tall, minimalist machine that hovers above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. On top of it signals a singular cyan-green light, and it's red, slit-like eye takes silent observation of the surrounding world. It's white head coordinates the entire machine. It's shell signals cyan-green and red both above and below it's flashlight in an alternating pattern. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is almost skeletal, pulsing with more cyan-green panels. This reveals its modules, all of which are organized for its current task, which appears to purposed towards emergency assistance.

Combat:

A 6 foot tall, menacing machine that hovers perfectly above the ground via unknown buoyancy methods. It's red, asymmetrical eyes take silent observation of the surrounding world. It's black head coordinates the entire machine, directing it towards the completion of its next set of instructions. It's carapace pulses with red and orange light, and an array electrochromic panels denote it's state. Unfolding when working, it exposes it's real appearance, suspending the halves of it's durable shell off to the side. Its main body is relatively lanky, and its chest flashes orange to denote its opened state. This reveals hefty payload of combat-oriented modules, all ready to defend the station.

Item appearance:

5RzwS8g.gifdxTqMKz.gifNvFwEIF.gif01wz2MO.gif3Rlc8Bi.gifppvBHt3.gif

The dmi for this includes each and every module, all slightly different from each-other, in terms of color.

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?

I've recently gone back to playing my borg characters, and though I like the sprites that are offered, I think this fits Haptics very foreign personality. Though it easily takes orders, it does not particularly mesh well with its organic co-workers, and is best left undisturbed as it carries out its task as it will tell a relevant department when it is finished. The oddities of its personality would more easily be reflected by this chassis, serving as a strange sight on the ship. Half the time, if an order is given to him by someone of high command, or by the AI when rogue, HAPTIC will not bother to speak, seeing it as non-essential. Otherwise, it often reports what it sees, this chassis giving it a 'sentinel' style look about itself, regardless of what task it's in.

Additional comments: I am still enjoying spriting. A whole lot. And just aurora in general.

Edit 1: Shaded, animated standard sprite is now present.

Edit 2: I felt as if the 'pure white' color isn't what I wanted, so I gave it a more dulled-down bone-ish color. It matches the current palette of Aurora much better.

Edited by Guest

It definitely is an interesting take on station-bounds. We've got a bunch of whacky ones and I'm relatively sure something like this will fit. I like the story behind it too, and the coffin thing fits with the whole sprite.

One thing I would like to see though, is an uploaded .gif so we can see how it would look ingame, before I cast my +1.

It definitely is an interesting take on station-bounds. We've got a bunch of whacky ones and I'm relatively sure something like this will fit. I like the story behind it too, and the coffin thing fits with the whole sprite.

One thing I would like to see though, is an uploaded .gif so we can see how it would look ingame, before I cast my +1.

I'm working on that as we speak; turning a specific direction into a gif is proving to be an irritant atm, but I've discovered a small workaround.

Deployed, front & back.

5RzwS8g.gif

dxTqMKz.gif

Closed, front and back.

01wz2MO.gif

3Rlc8Bi.gif

Deployed Side (Facing right).

NvFwEIF.gif

Closed Side (Facing right).

ppvBHt3.gif

Here's a few gifs. Workaround acheived. Also been shaded.

This has several variations, based on module type, easily described by the above descriptions.

The eyes remain in the .dmi file.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like it's a bit too difficult to understand which way COFFIN is facing in these sprites. Maybe put some sort of glow effect on the front side or making the back be smooth while the front has the weird chevrons? Other than that, I'd be willing to accept it, but you definitely have to fix that issue before I can clear this. PM me on Discord once you figure something out and I'll get this passed.