Capesh's Custom Borg Item

Overjoyed at the positive reception but, uh, as Tishina so succinctly put it, less OOC where IC should be, please. My sparkling personality aside, and the sprites' quality, this application really is for ORB's new item; if the background checks out, reasons behind it. Me putting the item to good use has absolutely zero to do with the item itself, and that the sprite fits aesthetically is also really not tied to me or ORB - the sprite could be put for 'general suggestions' of new borg sprites and your comments would be great in such a situation. But this application is about why ORB, in particular, IC-ly deserves the update. Like I stated before: throw punches at the actual content, question me on why I wrote this. I am here to be grilled and hopefully survive the fire. /Capesh

BYOND Key: Capesh

Character name: O.R.B.

Item name: O.R.B.’s Conversion Chassis.

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

With the majority of security androids, cyborgs, and robots utilizing imposing and heavy frames to handle the host of entities threatening the station, all from secessionists and space carp to rampaging monsters and traitors, as well as deterring threats and upholding stability through their bulk and presence alone, drone security android O.R.B. was instead chosen for his expressive friendliness, non-threatening demeanor, and abhorrence of using lethal means when other options were readily available. After methodological analysis of O.R.B.’s interactions and handling of various live scenarios, along with post-incident station personnel evaluations, it was decided O.R.B. was the ideal candidate for a new type of security stationbound chassis, formed to inspire calm and security without the thick presence of usual variations. Upon request the new chassis was likened after the positronic brain’s designation, in the spirit of his previous drone configuration but made distinct in a way which would make station personnel instinctively aware that they would be in safe hands upon O.R.B.’s arrival.

The design is sphere-shaped, sleek and modernized, with electrochromic coating for the allowance of departmental denotations outside of security configurations, when needed, along with color-shifting sensors.

In the rare event of a station crisis, and combat modules are authorized, the lower parts of the chassis will expand to reveal additional heavy-duty heatsinks, which allows O.R.B. to fine-tune his hovering capabilities to such a degree that he becomes suspended in the air. This has the result of improving aim, while the sinks make O.R.B. able to divert power to momentum for additional directional speed (mobility mode). Additional sensor packages extend from the chassis’ back for increased data accuracy, collection and processing speed of O.R.B.’s surroundings.

Item function(s): The item works as sprite conversion for all cyborg modules, with color and light modeled after the appropriate department. Combat module is the only module to look different, although sensor/light placement is universal and should thus cause no issues.

Item description:

Security/Medical/Engineering/Custodial/Service/Standard/Clerical/Science:

A compact sphere hovering comfortably around eye-height, with the width of a grown adult’s shoulders. A sturdy, reinforced relay antenna sticks out from the top, and the center eye gleams pleasantly.

Combat:

A compact sphere hovering precisely at eye-height, with the width of a grown adult’s shoulders. A sturdy, reinforced relay antenna sticks out from the top, and the center eye gleams a deep maroon. Thick sensors jut out from the back, and the two lower parts of the sphere have moved out to reveal glowing-hot heat sinks.

Item appearance:

Non-Combat:

mmbeq7K.png

Combat:

cscsMYo.png

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?

I’ve designed ORB to be this one security drone who, above all else, wants station personnel to feel safe – the standard drone chassis is one I’ve deemed to be the most ‘friendly-looking’ out of all the options. During the process of apprehending suspects, he always tries to make them put down arms and come willingly, and internally sighs when they, most times, choose to violently engage regardless, at which points he applies just enough stun to cuff, and then hauls them away to the brig for oversight.

I believe this custom sprite will make him stand out more and become recognizable, while also reinforcing his policy of non-lethality above all else due to the sprite’s non-threatening look. The sleeker chassis is also great for improved pats.

Additional comments: First time posting an application here, so please don’t hesitate to pester me regarding edits and changes – I’ll fix them as soon as possible. Also shoutout to Itanimulli, creator of the lovely sprite, who approached me with it out of the blue. I am humbled.

Edit: The .dmi file contains all the sprites for every department. Minor word bonks.

Edited by Guest

First off, usually I wait a bit to make a reply on applications to scope it out, but I needed to make this reply the instant I finished reading.

Capesh is a FANTASTIC player, a good person OOCly and his roleplay always brings a smile to my face.

This sprite looks like it would fit right in, as well as just generally looking amazing!

I really really really want to give this higher praise, but my brain is shutting down for the evening and I am locked to a +1.

So uh, a big +1 from me.

Methinks I speak for plenty when I say that ORB is extremely enjoyable to rp with, wether it be from another stationbound's perspective, or the perspective of someone else on the station. Iven rogue ORB is fun to interact with.

I don't just support this because sprites. I support this because it makes sense for ORB to not only be recognizeable as ORB (charavters react differently to cosmetic differences, as I've heavil observed....aka, good rp), for ORB to be an orb, and for ORB to have extreme head-pat-ability, but also because it's absolutely great to see ORB progress as a stationbound, as rare as progression is for said stationbounds.

Edit: Forgot to put +1. Heck.

Edited by Guest

O.R.B. is, without a doubt, one of my favorite characters to see and interact with. I love the borg, and Capesh is easily one of the best RPers on Aurora, from what I've seen. I could go on for a very long time about how great the character is, but that's getting off-topic.

That sprite is beautiful. I love it. It fits the setting seamlessly and is unique without being obtuse.

I would say that this is well-earned and would no doubt be put to good use. Major, MAJOR +1 from me.

Edit, to go more in line with Tish's post

Does it make sense to the character? Yes, absolutely. It fits ORB's personality and the background written makes sense to me. I have no complaints.

Is it a reasonable thing to have on-station? No doubt.

Does it fit the general style of things? Absolutely. It would not look out of place at all to see ORB with this chassis.

Edited by Guest

The sprites look *Really* good and AFAIK I see no issues in the background myself.

While we have the occasional talk on Discord, i've only really roleplayed with their Roboticist (David Hawthorne) and they were pretty good, so +1.

Capesh is not only a nice person OOC, IC he is friendly as well, which makes it fitting that as a security borg he would have a friendlier, less imposing design. +1 from me due to RP skills, good looking sprite, and possible RP interactions the sprite could hold.

I like Capesh too, but guys. I don't give a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK if the applicant is a good or nice person. What matters is that the item makes sense to the character, is a reasonable thing to have on-station, fits the general style of things, etc. I could not give less of a care if Capesh ate babies or helped ugly ducklings find their mothers.