Fernando Gonzales' Knitting Supplies

BYOND Key: Resilynn

Character name: Fernando Gonzales

Item name: Knitting Supplies (Knitting needles, Ball of yarn)

Why is your character carrying said item to work?: Fernando ends up spending hours upon hours sitting in the medical lobby every day, watching sensors or just idly watching the desk when things are slow. He would be bringing his supplies for those days where nothing much is going on, no one needs trained, and he's just supposed to sit by and be on call in case of emergency-- This is, after all, something he could just drop to resume his duties as needed.

Item function(s): Ideally, when using his supplies, it would display flavor text "[name] is knitting something soft and cozy." BRAINOS has designed them to have an animation in hand when you use them, but I'll let him explain those mechanics. In a perfect world, sitting still and doing nothing but knitting for 5 minutes or so without moving would make a scarf or something, the way, say, removing handcuffs makes a progress bar with an end result (if this were the case, I'd like that text to automatically come up once a minute or so), but I can live without this fancy bit of code if it's too difficult.

Item description: Knitting needles: silver knitting needles used for stitching yarn. Ball of yarn: A ball of yarn.

Item appearance: BRAINOS will post that as a response, he can explain how it works better

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? Fernando's knitting hobby has been pretty well established over the last few months. I think he first mentioned it to someone over a year ago. Having this item on hand would serve a few different purposes-- It would help him look like he's doing something at the desk beyond just kind of staring at a wall. I also think it would serve as a conversation starter. People seem surprised when they learn this is one of his hobbies, and I think having him do this at the lobby desk might help make him seem just a tiny bit more approachable.

knittingsample.png

alright, here's how it'd work, ideally:

the knitting needles are one item. you pick em up and it shows the held state for left and right for just now.

you grab a ball of yarn and set it on the floor next to you. with the knitting needles in your active hand, you click on the ball of yarn. if your other hand is free, it then begins a timer for killing the ball of yarn and dropping a scarf of the same color. like handcuffs, if you move or switch hands or do anything, it stops this process.

during the process of generating the scarf, there's an animated item state for holding them.

the ball of yarn would ideally be spawned with a random color blended to it in the code just using whitescaling, but if that's too much extra, there are a few different colors sprited in.

for some reason, fernando hates yellow, so make sure whatever colors are put coded in aren't yellow, if that's the route whoever implements this goes.

all of that aside:

i obvs support this. i love seeing characters with quirky custom items that show a thing they're interested in or just help show a part of their personality. this wouldn't be a distraction from the game as we know it and would be pretty amusing to see.

i'd love to see it as a loadout item for everyone, but that's resilynn's call.